Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another garden room thread - block or timber?

• 28-01-2021 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

As per my other post in this thread, I'm looking in building a garden room/office plus storage at the back of the house. The garden is 10.4m/7.4m and I would like to use as much of the width as possible to get around 21sqm usable area
    Did the full research on the timber frame and I reckon with a bit of help I can put it together. The only con against the timber frame is the space that I need to allow to the sides and back of the building for maintenance.

Got a builder the other day to see what a block build will get me and what's the price difference to the timber frame. He was suggesting in doing a single leaf 215mm hollow block close to boundary walls, apply a metal flashing then render the top parts that protrude over the walls. As for insulation he was suggesting dry lining, 100mm PIR on plasterboard probably dot and dab.
    The roof will be flat with the gutter to the front of the building, he was suggesting to go for a 9/2 with insulation in the middle. As for foundation he's thinking on concrete with insulation on top.

Now the questions :)
    Do his suggestions make sense? Do you see anything wrong with his approach i.e. thermal bridging problems etc.?
    How are the socket, switches boxes fitted to the wall, is in the PIR? Will that not remove the insulation efficency in those areas?
    How is the partition wall fixed? If fixed to the concrete block will that not create a thermal bridge? can you fit a small insulation between the timber and the wall to prevent that?

The more I think about it the more questions I have :D
    Thanks,
    J

Advertisement