Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

The video shows one guy attempt to disarm the shooter but he gets shot dead.

He is also a hero.

I don't understand that as a response to what I posted though.

I'm not criticising what you say or anything, I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

RIP to all the victims

Absolutely horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

There have been a few talking heads on the news criticising Ozzie and Kiwi security services for not being aware of him but none of those "security experts" explain how anyone was supposed to be aware of him.

Very easy to find out what he was up to online and what influenced him after you have his name and read his "manifesto".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

He claims to be both right wing and left wing depending on the definitions.
    Doesn't like Trump, hates conservatives.
    regards himself to be an ethnonationalist and Eco Fascist.

There have been a few talking heads on the news criticising Ozzie and Kiwi security services for not being aware of him but none of those "security experts" explain how anyone was supposed to be aware of him.

Very easy to find out what he was up to online and what influenced him after you have his name and read his "manifesto".

The only thing that intelligence really have to go on is loose talk. It would be very easy to kill a few dozen people as a lone wolf with planning. If, as reports suggest, there were multiple people involved then it marks a pretty rare event for a group to get to this point without someone giving the game away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He can claim what he wants.

He is just a cowardly cu nt.

Boggles wrote: »
    He can claim what he wants.

He is just a cowardly cu nt.

I agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Zorya wrote: »
    There is radicalisation happening via the internet for certain. Both left and right. It has been going on for a long time. This murderer's manifesto was a combination of extreme Nazism and Marxism, and he claimed influences from both. Kill All Normies is a good introductory book to the world of the Chans and online hate cults. Both are equally savage. I have encountered a person who was deeply influenced by terrible people online. He lives in an isolated rural place, and is psychiatrically unwell. He has been in touch with extremists based in Scandinavia via the web, which has been reported to authorities. He cannot be the only one as I don't know that many people and yet I know one such. It is not left or right, it is sick hate that crosses all political boundaries, there is no reasoning behind it, it attracts the psychotic, the unwell and the feeble minded. Trying to point score on this thread on the back of a massacre is obnoxious.

there is no question the WWW is the go to place for these nutjobs. most of whom cannot function in ordinary society.
    the large companies like Google, FB, etc. must take some responsibility here.
    can you imagine if i stood in my town/village centre and urged people to go out and commit wholesale slaughter?
    my heart goes out to those poor people, going about their everyday lives and then this animal seeks them out. stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

This isn't mental illness it's calculated evil across time and on multiple levels.
    Not only did he manage to kill so many but his manifesto is sophisticated enough to be effective in its stated aim to sow division and chaos outside of the tragedy itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Anybody watching or distributioning the disgusting video should be be tracked down and face criminal charges.

I saw some of it because it was shared on my FB feed, don't think I should be arrested for that.

• Advertisement

there is no question the WWW is the go to place for these nutjobs. most of whom cannot function in ordinary society.
    can you imagine if i stood in my town/village centre and urged people to go out and commit wholesale slaughter?
    my heart goes out to those poor people, going about their everyday lives and then this animal seeks them out. stuff of nightmares.

The chans are a main source of this crap. Then they had voat as well. People talk about /r/the_donald or whatever on Reddit but I've been there and it's pretty tame. Mostly pro-US stuff.

I don't know much about FB, though. It could be big for it.

I saw some of it because it was shared on my FB feed, don't think I should be arrested for that.

no of course not, but FB have questions to answer for propagating this digital vomit.

This isn't mental illness it's calculated evil across time and on multiple levels.
    Not only did he manage to kill so many but his manifesto is sophisticated enough to be effective in its stated aim to sow division and chaos outside of the tragedy itself.

Yes, this line of mental Illness is a cop out.

He knew exactly what he was doing, and so far it seems to have worked.

All these people calling for censorship, blaming online personalities etc are in effect completing his task.

This is exactly what he wants to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was actually shocked to see the notification this morning when I woke up. I had assumed that New Zealand would never have something like this happen. I mean thankfully most responses have been to condemn the attacks as should happen. Nobody should be killed for their religious beliefs. There was one Australian Senator though who gave a mental statement regarding the attacks.

no of course not, but FB have questions to answer for propagating this digital vomit.

Agreed, it shouldn't be shared on mainstream media pages either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

PressRun wrote: »
    Facebook and YouTube and other sites have been asleep at the wheel for years on this. It's on those websites that all of this extremism has been building for a long time now, and it's been wilfully ignored by social media companies who have actively turned a blind eye to how the platform is used as long as they turn a profit.

Well, they're basically feeding people a diet of sheer toxicity when they start delving into those subjects.

They're driven by AI feeding the suggested posts to you. The intelligence of the AI systems is basically still just crude pattern matching. So, you're being fed content that it thinks you might like based largely on what other people you know like, what you've previously read and what people who've previously read those articles like and other demographic data, possibly your web history, keywords from posts and messages etc etc .

The problem is the AI has absolutely no comprehension of what it's feeding you. It's just articles. While it understand a lot of metadata about click patterns, it won't understand the difference between a cat picture, a business news story from Bloomberg and a whack job conspiracy theory as it isn't actually intelligent. It doesn't understand content or context.

Facebook et al. are utterly reliant on those systems and all their attempts to filter content or sort content have been based on more and more AI.

These are hugely profitable companies that have only been around in any big way for a little over a decade, yet they've become unchallengable and we seem to be unable to regulate them. They basically pay no tax, make enormous profits and take no responsibility for destabilising political systems or hosting all sorts of extremely damaging communities of extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pity NZ abolished the death penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

PressRun wrote: »
    Facebook and YouTube and other sites have been asleep at the wheel for years on this. It's on those websites that all of this extremism has been building for a long time now, and it's been wilfully ignored by social media companies who have actively turned a blind eye to how the platform is used as long as they turn a profit.

I think the live stream was on Facebook but he could have used any of the thousands of streaming platforms.
    IMO twitter and 4chan are far more unhealthy places to hangout but it's impossible to censor the internet.
    Twitter is probably the worst with people deeply entrenched on both side of any disagreement, I actually can't stomach reading twitter whenever I'm linked to it.

As I say, the chans: (from the link above)

5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Jesus christ!! I accidentally watched the video and I think I'm going to be sick. Like a ****ing video game, deeply deeply disturbing.

*before you asked about "accidentally", a video started playing when I was reading a facebook post about nz and I was like "no way is this the actual video, surely it'll cut off before he starts shooting", but no, it shows it in all its horrific glory, I'd just stared at it in shock before I had the sense to turn it off, but I'd seen too much by then.

Horrific for the families that something like that is out there.

just watching SkyNews, and in fairness they did NOT show the unedited vidcam footage, only stills from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just had to have a word with one of the young lads in here. He was showing clips of the actual shooting to another oddball. Two of them grinning away watching then the fella showing it says he “wouldn’t mind getting his hands on the shooters crypto wallet”.

You’d have to question the mindset of anyone who would watch something like that. I’m in two minds to go to HR about the incident.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims, their families and the people of New Zealand is what people should be sharing, not watching the footage like it’s some sort of prime time tv show.

The tide is turning…

No they dont. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That video is this bastards legacy - it will only encourage more of his like.

He needs to be denied any platform at his trial - how that occurs I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Just had to have a word with one of the young lads in here. He was showing clips of the actual shooting to another oddball. Two of them grinning away watching then the fella showing it says he “wouldn’t mind getting his hands on the shooters crypto wallet”.

You’d have to question the mindset of anyone who would watch something like that. I’m in two minds to go to HR about the incident.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims, their families and the people of New Zealand is what people should be sharing, not watching the footage like it’s some sort of prime time tv show.

Do you they not get that those are real people being slaughtered?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Do you they not get that those are real people being slaughtered?

Its possible that the shooter wants to inspire kids with the video, make it seem cool and exciting like a video game.

It should be banned everywhere.

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't be going to HR over lads watching it personally. People are going to see it, the world will keep turning - condemnation should be directed at the perpetrators and not people watching the video in my opinion.

or where i come from we say a total ****WIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Its possible that the shooter wants to inspire kids with the video, make it seem cool and exciting like a video game.

It should be banned everywhere.

Whatever about kids not knowing any better, the poster above mentioned HR so assuming these lads are adults in employment. No excuse for watching the slaughter of innocent men, women and children with a grin on your face if you're an adult. That's chilling behaviour.

Advertisement