Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would be the most offensive word in the English language now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

FAT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Isn't it mental that a sound that come out your mouth can be offensive even out of context,

For instance a comedian ( can't remember the name ) on Netflix had his contents removed from there ap because he used the word not in a hateful way either but then Netflix PR guy used the word in a meeting describing the first incident and he was fired , For literally describing what had occurred,

Its absolutely crazy ,

Exactly what I'm talking about.
    Netflix is bat**** crazy though, they have an official rule where you aren't allowed make eye contact with a female for longer than 5 seconds, you need to look away, even if you are in a meeting with her.

I remember seeing another news anchorwoman on a US station, and she was nearly in tears as she was describing such and such "using the ..." (sobbing)
    "N word"
    What is a person like that hiding ?
    Why does she feel she needs to virtue signal like that ? Maybe she is a closet racist and needs to really mask it - dunno it's bizarre!
    Look at this
    DV7EnuGUMAET7lw.jpg

The really frightening thing is (yes it's real) she is a planetary scientist for NASA - so you'd imagine some sort of intelligence there.

How f*cking condescending tho ?

"Let the little black people enjoy their film" :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Cina wrote: »
    Context?

There are very few contexts where it's not an offensive word.
    Joseph Konrad wrote The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' in 1897 but it was published in the US under a different name, not because the N-word was offensive but just because the publishers didn't think people would want to read a book about a black man.

A new edition was pulished 10 years ago called The N-Word of the Narcissus, but the publishers said it wasn't censorship. They did it so people would find easier to access the story, rather than avoiding it due to the 'offensive' word.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Louis CK (ohhh who's offended now) reckons saying "the n word" is worse than saying n*gger because if you say "the n word" you are making the other person say n*gger in their head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maga

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

^ make acronyms great again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

Calling somebody by their non-preferred pronoun seems to be the most offensive thing you can say out there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

randd1 wrote: »
    Calling somebody by their non-preferred pronoun seems to be the most offensive thing you can say out there at the moment.

Man, oh, man. That's crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

DV7EnuGUMAET7lw.jpg

The really frightening thing is (yes it's real) she is a planetary scientist for NASA - so you'd imagine some sort of intelligence there.

How f*cking condescending tho ?

"Let the little black people enjoy their film" :confused::confused:

That movie really really irked me!
    It's a bang average Marvel flick, not the Uber masterpiece that half the world praised to high heaven as a breakthrough "movie of colour"
    Even it having Oscar wins over some other much much better popcorn fare generated by Marvel is annoying.
    I heard it described as Nigga Cat, and I can't think of it anymore as anything else.

Racism is obviously a serious issue for those affected, and for those of us who are lucky enough to be gifted with the auld white privilege...
    It's not "as" serious...

But the censorship of the use of words and of language because of the inferred hurt or potential banana skin of upsetting others, is to my mind the wrong way to deal with it.

As is claiming the word, as has become de riguer for many movements.
    Yes, the idea of appropriating the word to diminish it's "power" is a nice thought.
    But it all too quickly becomes a means of identity and ensuring the "right" people use the word.

I saw this tweet today and it struck me just how true it's becoming.
    Outrage is becoming a default position.
    Nuance, context and humour are subjective but unfortunately these days they are all to often not even considered.

https://twitter.com/itsprollygas/status/1099701615030923264?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

White

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Moist gusset.

Is that you Susie Dent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

the N word ?
    Yes nigger is quite an offensive word - but remember it's all about context!!

'N w**d' is more offensive really. Its a cynical have your cake and eat. We know what those using it are saying. They are racist, and want to use the alternative word, but use 'N w**d' to pretend they arent racist, pretend they arent using an offensive term, but they are fooling nobody. If you werent racist, you would have no use to use the word in the first place, nor any disguise of it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    What would be the most offensive word in the English language now?

'Responsibility'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Cina wrote: »
    Context?

There are very few contexts where it's not an offensive word.

https://youtu.be/G39AJrNlWw4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

White male

• Registered Users Posts: 30,146 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember last year a lot of people were horrified with the word sl*t during the Belfast rape trial and how people could use that word to describe a woman.
    I remember being at college and a lot of the women used it either as a put down or in a joking matter.
    There was a lot of out rage about it.
    A few weeks later the same word was written on a fridge in blood in Fair City before the water shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Agatha Christie wrote a novel in which a poem called "Ten Little ****" featured prominently. The title upon release in the UK was also "Ten Little ****". It was even set in a place called ****** Island. In the US it was released under the title "And Then There Were None" (which is what it is released as internationally today) and references to the word ****** were removed and replaced. The poem was called "Ten Little Indians" or "Ten Little Soldiers" depending on the year of publication.

Now what I've written to there uses the word ****** multiple times. Is it racist? No, no it's not. I think it's perfectly to OK to use the word ****** when describing historical facts. Because were the words that were used, no more, no less

And no one ever quotes Muhammed Ali as saying "No Vietnamese man ever killed an N-word"

Edit: the boards filter blocks the N-word in singular but not in plural, they might want to look at that....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

outraged.

this word wears me down.
    and im offended.

oh..offended too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm surprised it's not 'male' or 'man' these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Male

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If you want to know which of two words is more offensive, and you won't even type one of them - that's the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wish people would just say the fucking word instead of this 'n word' bollocks. There's a difference in shouting abuse at someone and saying a word.

Philip Schofield had a go at Katie Price on This Morning a couple of years ago when she said someone had called her son a nigger. Then a load of fucking morons on Twitter started talking shite about her 'white privilege'. They were more incensed about her saying the word nigger than the fact that someone had called her son a nigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Edit: the boards filter blocks the N-word in singular but not in plural, they might want to look at that....

Interesting edit - am I correct to assume that you'd prefer that both were unblocked? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Miriam O'Callaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I agree with a previous poster "retard" is the most offensive word I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Gammon apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

BBFAN wrote: »
    I agree with a previous poster "retard" is the most offensive word I can think of.

Retard and Spastic , I hate anyone using either of those words to describe someone , makes my blood boil tbh .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I always thought referring to people as coons was more offensive than calling them ****.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement