Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nice try, troll.

I'm not. Is nobody allowed to differ from your thinking?

Who do you share a bike, motorbike, or scooter with? Most people are well enough in the head to be able to share space with others too.

Now you're just getting insulting after the troll remark. Very "well in the head" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not. Is nobody allowed to differ from your thinking?

Your post is so absolutely absurd I think you must be trolling. Do you think every person should be driving private cars to work?

Your post is so absolutely absurd I think you must be trolling. Do you think every person should be driving private cars to work?

If you think it's trolling then report it rather than trying to score some boards big boy points.

I'm not trolling at all anyway. People seem to automatically be programmed to think it's awful, but what exactly is all that bad about being in your car? Dry, warm (or cool if you prefer), your own music/radio/books/etc, no stenches off people, comfortable seat, etc.

If you think it's trolling then report it rather than trying to score some boards big boy points.

I'm not trolling at all anyway. People seem to automatically be programmed to think it's awful, but what exactly is all that bad about being in your car? Dry, warm (or cool if you prefer), your own music/radio/books/etc, no stenches off people, comfortable seat, etc.

So you think that it would be ok for everyone to drive into work in the city centre of Dublin because they like all these things?
    If you're reading books while driving you should have your licence taken from you.

• Advertisement

So you think that it would be ok for everyone to drive into work in the city centre of Dublin because they like all these things?
    If you're reading books while driving you should have your licence taken from you.

I would have thought when it was with music and radio that it would be obvious it was audiobooks. Apologies.

I would have thought when it was with music and radio that it would be obvious it was audiobooks. Apologies.

But don't you realise if we don't move away from private car use and change to other forms of transport the city will become an even worse horrible dirty clogged up mess? I know you don't mind sitting there for hours, but surely you can see that's not how a well run city should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I'd rather do 90 minutes in mine than 20 on a bus.

Totally fine if that's your preference. The only real issues are

1. Making sure that there's enough capacity and coverage in public transport that everyone else can make that choice too.

2. Where space is limited assign priority to the highest capacity which is generally going to be small vehicles and public transport, not private cars.

Elsewhere people insist their private journey shouldn't be inconvenienced by modes of transport that carry many multiples more than theirs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.thejournal.ie/electric-scooter-regulations-ireland-4646594-May2019

I f**king want to emigrate from this place at this stage. Dublin is ruined by private cars, and now they want to make it worse. Don't read the comments on that article if you have issues with blood pressure.
    not sure if you're referring to the headline, which is badly written as far as i can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd rather do 90 minutes in mine than 20 on a bus.
    Do you really not have anything better to do with 70 minutes in your day?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Do you really not have anything better to do with 70 minutes in your day?

Better than sitting on a bus with every second person hacking and coughing.

Have you been on buses during the holocaust or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Spending time in your car isn't a bad thing, definitely not in the way society seems to have programmed people to think it is. What exactly is wrong with heat, privacy, and none of the downsides that come with sharing space? It's not as if the seat is made of blocks either, cars are very comfortable nowadays. I'd rather do 90 minutes in mine than 20 on a bus.

You're making irrational arguement. Maybe not yourself but the vast majority of people will choose the option which is quickest and most convenient for them. I will generally pick the most practical mode of transport when making a journey whether that be walking, cycling, taking a bus, tram, train, taxi, boat or plane or even indeed driving.

To put it into perspective would you drive for 24 hours to Spain rather than take a 3 hour flight you have privacy in my car but not on a plane? Same argument with a bus vs car if the bus is significantly quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭SeanW

So it's taken me a while to find myself in College Green on an evening during rush hour where I wasn't pushed for time. I tracked a 25x from stop 345 (not actually a 25x stop, but a handy place to stop on the bike and not hold others up) on Pearse St to the corner of Westmorland St and Aston Quay.

Your worst case scenario of 30 minutes was fairly accurate - I made it 29 minutes. Here's a timelapse x 8 video showing him from Pearse St up to where he broke the red lights to come onto College Green. I caught up later on Westmorland St. It is indeed a complete sh1tshow on the stretch outside Pearse St garda station.

https://streamable.com/4x5kx

Lessons learnt:

Taxi's are a huge, huge problem. The sheer quantity of them along that stretch is a major barrier to buses.

Dublin Bus vehicles waiting at the kerb for their time to move off are a problem, reducing the space available for all others. Surely there could be a better scheduling option to allow them to wait further back and only move up into location when they're actually ready to move onto the route.

The yellow box at College St/D'Olier St/Pearse St junction is a bit of a bad joke with taxis and buses blocking taxis and buses from moving.

The second row of Garda vehicles parked at the garda station certainly don't help matters.
    Thanks for that! The Trinity City Hotel ... brings back memories of as week of a long as Hell commute :o

From what I remember and saw, the problem is with D'Olier/Westmoreland/College Green itself. You basically have half the buses in the city trying to get from the Garda station to Westmoreland St. and the other half trying to get from D'Olier St. towards CG and Grafton St. And there's a short stretch where the two paths conflict with each other. And of course the Luas takes up half the street space and its movements conflict with absolutely everything else. So all the buses have to queue back from that point.

Banning taxis might help, as might limitations on motor traffic in the general area. Where I differ from some other views expressed here over time is that to my mind, that would only help so much.

As far as I can see, Dublin is still using buses and trams where it should be using trams and metros given the enormous number of people now working and commuting in the city. Things like the Metro Link, in whatever form, are needed ASAP (In addition to about 100,000 apartments and houses).

SeanW wrote:
    From what I remember and saw, the problem is with D'Olier/Westmoreland/College Green itself. You basically have half the buses in the city trying to get from the Garda station to Westmoreland St. and the other half trying to get from D'Olier St. towards CG and Grafton St. And there's a short stretch where the two paths conflict with each other. And of course the Luas takes up half the street space and its movements conflict with absolutely everything else. So all the buses have to queue back from that point.

Seems to me buses are the problem..

Do you ever travel by plane? Or sit in a meeting room with other people? Or go out to a pub or restaurant?

Or do you live in an oxygen tent?

Seems to me buses are the problem..

So do you reckon that replacing each bus with 30-70 private cars, each with 3 or 4 empty seats, would improve traffic flow and space utilisation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i must be weird. i'd prefer sitting on a bus for 60 minutes than in a car for 60 minutes. at least you can read on a bus.

i must be weird. i'd prefer sitting on a bus for 60 minutes than in a car for 60 minutes. at least you can read on a bus.

At least you can look at your phone in the car though

So do you reckon that replacing each bus with 30-70 private cars, each with 3 or 4 empty seats, would improve traffic flow and space utilisation?

Do private cars have to stop every few yards to let dodderly pensioners on and off?

No of course they don't ergo they can travel quicker and are less likely to be holding up other traffic.

A lot of bus drivers are bottom of the barrel drivers anyway,being more used to rush hour in lagos it would seem.

• Advertisement

Do private carshave to stop every few years to let dodderly pensioners on and off?
    i'm pretty sure they would have to stop more often than every few years. there would be serious health and safety issues otherwise.

i'm pretty sure they would have to stop more often than every few years. there would be serious health and safety issues otherwise.

Well spotted Sir! Mea Culpa.

No of course they don't ergo they can travel quicker and are less likely to be holding up other traffic.
    'can' being the operative word here.
    'less likely to hold up other traffic'? it's private cars which create traffic jams. a half full bus takes up 10-15m of road. the same number of people being transported in cars takes up about 200m. and that's with a generous average of two people per car.

Do private cars have to stop every few yards to let dodderly pensioners on and off?

No of course they don't ergo they can travel quicker and are less likely to be holding up other traffic

On my route to work every morning they sit in a long line of cars moving a few meters now and again. Buses go past them in the bus lanes.
    I really think you must be a wind up, or you live in some small village somewhere and can't relate to Dublin's traffic problems.

A lot of bus drivers are bottom of the barrel drivers anyway,being more used to rush hour in lagos it would seem.

Always nice to squeeze in a tinge of racism in a posting.

Private cars really don't travel faster, but even if they did, do you think they would continue to travel faster if each bus was replaced with an additional 30 - 80 private cars. Just have a think about the space requirements involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Thought you were talking about taxi drivers there

Always nice to squeeze in a tinge of racism in a posting.

Always nice to see the word racism bandied around by somebody with nothing better to do.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Thought you were talking about taxi drivers there

Watch out the Social Justice Warriors will be along to call you a racist shortly!

According to them drivers from africa are every bit as good as Irish drivers (a link maybe from a lefty site to back it up).

Always nice to see the word racism bandied around by somebody with nothing better to do.

There's no bandying. It is a racist comment.

But here's the question that you missed.

Private cars really don't travel faster, but even if they did, do you think they would continue to travel faster if each bus was replaced with an additional 30 - 80 private cars. Just have a think about the space requirements involved...

• Advertisement

There's no bandying. It is a racist comment.

Everything is a racist comment with you people :rolleyes:

Advertisement