Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

i refuse point blank to believe this.

Which part? The cycling 3 times a week or never having an issue with a motorist? Or both:D

Though, its possible the second part is true if the first part is untrue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

i refuse point blank to believe this.

On what grounds?

It's easy enough to find trouble if you're looking for it,it's equally easy to go about your business without upsetting people

amcalester wrote: »
    Which part? The cycling 3 times a week or never having an issue with a motorist? Or both:D

Though, its possible the second part is true if the first part is untrue.

So the cyclists are coming out to call me a liar?

Do you see why it's impossible to reason with you people? Magnify that on the road by 100x and you have the reason why cyclists are so widely hated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my favourite bit was 'those cyclists travel too fast for people to react to them'.
    i once made it to 0.9c on the bike, but realised it was getting too hard to cycle faster due to relativistic effects on my mass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

On what grounds?
    usually the grounds on which i refuse to believe something are 'it's not true'.

• Advertisement

usually the grounds on which i refuse to believe something are 'it's not true'.

That's your perogative but it it's not very enlightened of you.

I guess i'm casting pearls before swine.

So the cyclists are coming out to call me a liar?

Do you see why it's impossible to reason with you people? Magnify that on the road by 100x and you have the reason why cyclists are so widely hated.

Apparently you're a cyclist, so maybe you are right in saying it's impossible to reason with them. Cause it certainly is with you.

And, calling someone a liar and saying you don't believe them are 2 different things. How's that for reason(ing)?

my favourite bit was 'those cyclists travel too fast for people to react to them'.
    i once made it to 0.9c on the bike, but realised it was getting too hard to cycle faster due to relativistic effects on my mass.

You're side-splittingly hilarious,you know that don't you?

Is ascerbic comedy timing a prequisite to become mod of the cycling forum?

I browse the forum from time to time and i note that ANY criticism of cyclist behaviour is shut down pretty rapidly..usually with hilarious put-downs like this to start with then it gets nasty and finally the "miscreant" finds himself banned.

Still,as long as you're happy...

Apparently you're a cyclist, so maybe you are right in saying it's impossible to reason with them. Cause it certainly is with you.

Where have you attempted to be reasonable with me?

And, calling someone a liar and saying you don't believe them are 2 different things. How's that for reason(ing)?

As reasoning goes it's hardly up there..i mean you would hardly tell somebody you didnt believe what they said to you with the caveat that you don't think they're a liar.

If you believe it to be a lie you must believe the person to be a liar.

Do you want my frame number? Its CB4L 0104
    :D

As reasoning goes it's hardly up there..i mean you would hardly tell somebody you didnt believe what they said to you with the caveat that you don't think they're a liar.

If you believe it to be a lie you must believe the person to be a liar.

Do you want my frame number? Its CB4L 0104
    :D

People do it all the time, we ask a question, get an answer but then check it on google, not because we think the person is lying but because we think they might be wrong.

You might honestly believe that you cycle 3 times a week, doesn't make it so. And me not believing you doesn't mean I'm calling you a liar.

Or, you might be from the George Costanzo school of thought
    ...just remember...it's not a lie, if you believe it

• Advertisement

People do it all the time, we ask a question, get an answer but then check it on google, not because we think the person is lying but because we think they might be wrong.

You might honestly believe that you cycle 3 times a week, doesn't make it so. And me not believing you doesn't mean I'm calling you a liar.

Or, you might be from the George Costanzo school of thought

Poppycock.

Any thoughts on my observations about the behaviour of other cyclists?Or am i making that up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I browse the forum from time to time and i note that ANY criticism of cyclist behaviour is shut down pretty rapidly..usually with hilarious put-downs like this to start with then it gets nasty and finally the "miscreant" finds himself banned.
    It might be helpful if you could point to one or two examples of how/when this actually happened, just so that no-one thinks that you're exaggerating wildly for effect.
    Do you think these bad old motorists actually get up in the morning and decide to go out and kill cyclists?

Do you think there's a quota system in place or something?
    What has 'intention' got to do with anything? Do you think their phone accidentally slips into their hand and opens up WhatsApp while they're driving? Do you think their foot accidentally slips onto the accelerator to cause them to break speed limits and red lights?

Most of the deaths and injuries are not to cyclists though. Motorists kill other motorists and passengers with alarming regularity, about two each week. Usually one pedestrian each week too. Cyclists are a very small part of the road death figures.
    I cycle 3+ times per week to t he city centre and back and i've NEVER had a probem with a motorist...why? Because i stay left,use hand signals,obey traffic lights and cycle at a reasonable speed. Another key word is respect..if you give it it will be shown to you.

The people i DO have problems with EVERY day are cyclists..aggressive,breaking lights,dangerous overtaking and undertaking,no hand signals and at night no lights or jackets.

There are 2 types that bother me the most...People on citybikes and MAMMILS on racing bikes.

MAMMILS *have* to overtake you,even if its not safe to do so. They have no visual awareness and will change lanes without signalling or shoulder-checking,they cycle too close to vehicles and other cyclists,they travel too fast for people to react to them in time and this combined with risky and dangerous maneuvers makes them a nightmare on the road..for cyclists (whom they seem to despise) and motorists(whom they seem to want to upset).

The mindset of this type of cyclist is "screw everybody else,i've bought the gear i own the road"..similar in may ways to Audi drivers to use an analogy.

Be careful on your bike and you will be safe and stop looking for ways to antagonise other road users..dressing in lycra and peddling like you're in the tour de france on a city road will get you hurt..NOT because drivers have a vendetta against cyclists.

There's only one M in MAMIL. I'm fascinated by your theory that dressing in lycra will get you hurt. The only way this could be true would be if drivers had a vendetta against cyclists in lycra. Neither of your claims (dressing in lycra and pedaling like you're in the the TdF) stand up to the slightest scrutiny of road traffic statistics, btw. I can only conclude that these issues only exist in your twisted imagination.

It is interesting to note your choice to 'have a problem with' the people who aren't killing 2 or 3 others each week on the roads, though you obviously have no problem with the people who ARE killing 2 or 3 others each week on the roads.

It is interesting to note your choice to 'have a problem with' the people who aren't killing 2 or 3 others each week on the roads, though you obviously have no problem with the people who ARE killing 2 or 3 others each week on the roads.

Back to this again?

Do you suffer from any form of autism? I'm not being offensive,i'm genuinely curious..

That's your perogative but it it's not very enlightened of you.
    this is the internet. there's a word for 'believing something simply because someone on the internet told you so'; and that word is not 'enlightened'.

anyway, it's almost amusing by now how so many threads about general traffic issues turns into an 'us vs them' about cyclists.

this is the internet. there's a word for 'believing something simply because someone on the internet told you so'; and that word is not 'enlightened'.

I likewise would take all the 'incidents' that your cohorts in the cycling forum report with a grain of salt too.

It seems in the dozens of anecdotal stories that pepper the cycling forum not ONE was ever caused by the cyclist and i really don't recall ever hearing a cyclist saying either "sorry" or "it was my fault".

anyway, it's almost amusing by now how so many threads about general traffic issues turns into an 'us vs them' about cyclists.

Do you ever stop to wonder why?

I mean blaming everybody else will take you so far but have you ever really wondered why?

I likewise would take all the 'incidents' that your cohorts in the cycling forum report with a grain of salt too.
    at least cyclists can point to the fact they're better at driving than non-cyclists.
    Nick Day of Chris Knott Insurance said an analysis of his firm's crash data showed that cyclists make less than half the number of insurance claims as non-cyclists.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/09/cyclists-are-better-drivers-than-motorists-finds-study/#27f9414f6f6c

Poppycock.

Any thoughts on my observations about the behaviour of other cyclists?Or am i making that up too?

Ah no, some cyclists are dicks. Probably in the same proportion as motorists who are dicks. And pedestrians. There's a common denominator here, and it's not the mode of transport.

The thing is though, I've never been endangered or injured by a cyclist, I just wish I could say the same for motorists.

And in general I find cyclists to be better road users than motorists while acknowledging that a single cyclist can break a lot of rules very quickly and easily. I just don't think that individual cyclists behaviour should be extrapolated and applied to all others, which is what appears to happen.

Do you ever stop to wonder why?

I mean blaming everybody else will take you so far but have you ever really wondered why?

Yeah, let's shift the blame away from the road users that killed more than 3,500 people over the last 15 years and spread it onto those that haven't killed anyone over that same period.

It seems in the dozens of anecdotal stories that pepper the cycling forum not ONE was ever caused by the cyclist and i really don't recall ever hearing a cyclist saying either "sorry" or "it was my fault".
    Perhaps your knowledge of the cycling form is not as detailed or accurate as you assume?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109797131&postcount=7582
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109532958&postcount=7223
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107907814&postcount=27
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104200492&postcount=2283
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103718714&postcount=326
    Back to this again?

Do you suffer from any form of autism? I'm not being offensive,i'm genuinely curious..
    Why would it make any difference if I was? Would that change the underlying facts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

You really gotta hate the killing motorists, killing like it's prey

McCrack wrote: »
    You really gotta hate the killing motorists, killing like it's prey

I know what you mean, like this scumbag: not content will killing a new mother he gets back behind the wheel while banned and over the limit.

We’re all just lucky he didn’t get on a bike, imagine the carnage if he broke a red.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mother-of-tragic-crash-victim-nicola-is-livid-as-truck-driver-is-back-in-court-again-38027480.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Blaming everyone else?

You've over 40 posts on this thread moaning about cyclists, public transport users and scooters all of whom alleviate congestion in Dublin and help reduce congestion. You're making no real contributions to the debate with your immature sniping and snide comments.

Have you any helpful suggestions regarding Dublin ranking 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Bad planning is why Dublin is 3rd worst. There should be more decentralisation to the 10 or 15 next biggest centres of population in the state.

SeanW wrote: »
    I suspect that no amount of evidence would be sufficient for some here.

Nevertheless I actually looked at this again this week. I happened to be around the Bank of Ireland on College Green this past Friday, and I took some photos of the mess as it existed around 6:30 PM, more like a few minutes after. Normally one would hope that the evening rush would begin to subside at that point but it was still at least part in full swing and I would estimate that it would have taken a bus trying to get beyond College St. (either D'Olier St to Grafton St, or from Pearse St. to Westmoreland St.) anywhere from 10-30 minutes to do so.

See attachments to this post. You can see buses, taxis and Luas trams jockeying for inadequate road space. You can also see queues of buses backed up from the CG junction all the way up D'Olier St and beyond the Garda Station on Pearse St.

There is a serious problem at that junction and the photos I've posted show at least partial evidence of that.

Because what you see in those photos is the results of decades of under-investment in public transport in Dublin. You can wax lyrical about the evil motorists all you like it doesn't change the fact that the alternatives other cities have, like Metro or even tram networks, extensive suburban rail systems etc, just don't exist.

Private motorists are banned form many movements through College Green.
    So it's taken me a while to find myself in College Green on an evening during rush hour where I wasn't pushed for time. I tracked a 25x from stop 345 (not actually a 25x stop, but a handy place to stop on the bike and not hold others up) on Pearse St to the corner of Westmorland St and Aston Quay.

Your worst case scenario of 30 minutes was fairly accurate - I made it 29 minutes. Here's a timelapse x 8 video showing him from Pearse St up to where he broke the red lights to come onto College Green. I caught up later on Westmorland St. It is indeed a complete sh1tshow on the stretch outside Pearse St garda station.

https://streamable.com/4x5kx

Lessons learnt:

Taxi's are a huge, huge problem. The sheer quantity of them along that stretch is a major barrier to buses.

Dublin Bus vehicles waiting at the kerb for their time to move off are a problem, reducing the space available for all others. Surely there could be a better scheduling option to allow them to wait further back and only move up into location when they're actually ready to move onto the route.

The yellow box at College St/D'Olier St/Pearse St junction is a bit of a bad joke with taxis and buses blocking taxis and buses from moving.

The second row of Garda vehicles parked at the garda station certainly don't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.thejournal.ie/electric-scooter-regulations-ireland-4646594-May2019

I f**king want to emigrate from this place at this stage. Dublin is ruined by private cars, and now they want to make it worse. Don't read the comments on that article if you have issues with blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

The biggest problem in Dublin is not the lack of planning but the lack the of investment.
    Being honest next, we have too many plans and not enough action!

Look at Metro West for example. It’s included in all the local authorities plans but not the NTA strategy. My opinion is this is down to funding.

The funny thing is that public transport is incredibly popular in a Dublin. Look at DART, LUAS figures and they exceeded business case estimates. Dublinbikes is the same. Yet we have 1 DART line, 2 original LUAS lines and a Dublinbikes scheme which has failed to expand at the rate it should have.

Unfortunately, and I hate this mentality but the Dublin vs rural Ireland debate means that Dublin tends to only get 1 or at a push 2 infrastructure projects at a time which means we are always playing catch up.

Ideally we would have a central infrastructure fund across the 4 local authorities to invest. Alas, there is more chance of a DART to Dingle than that kind of joint up thinking happening.

The problem is that ambitious plans will always piss a few people off. Our pussy politicians do not have the balls to make these decisions. So we may as well just accept things how they are and try and make the best of it, because it's only going to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Spending time in your car isn't a bad thing, definitely not in the way society seems to have programmed people to think it is. What exactly is wrong with heat, privacy, and none of the downsides that come with sharing space? It's not as if the seat is made of blocks either, cars are very comfortable nowadays. I'd rather do 90 minutes in mine than 20 on a bus.

• Advertisement

Spending time in your car isn't a bad thing, definitely not in the way society seems to have programmed people to think it is. What exactly is wrong with heat, privacy, and none of the downsides that come with sharing space? It's not as if the seat is made of blocks either, cars are very comfortable nowadays. I'd rather do 90 minutes in mine than 20 on a bus.

Who do you share a bike, motorbike, or scooter with? Most people are well enough in the head to be able to share space with others too.

Advertisement