Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do prisoners still get Temporary Release for Christmas?

Options
  • 22-12-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Heard about this a few years ago but dont know if it still happens?

Must be a temptation for them not to return. Must be pretty depressing in there at this time of year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Conor84 wrote: »

Must be a temptation for them not to return. Must be pretty depressing in there at this time of year.

Depends on whether they have been naughty or nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Conor84 wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/137-prisoners-granted-temporary-release-for-christmas-893606.html

According to the Examiner 137 have been granted temporary release this year. 91% are from open prisons so I presume their crimes aren't on the very serious end of the scale.

Prisoners get temporary release all the time! Maybe a few more around Xmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

When i was in prison a few years back I got Temporary Release for Christmas - think it was for 5 days.

I was getting to the end of my sentence so think I got it because of that. Felt really strange being back at home and kept my head down for it. It was horrible going back after a few days outside and having to face going back in to finish my sentence.

Had to go down to the Garda station each day to get my form stamped and signed. There were a few other conditions too.

The year before I spent it in prison. Was the most depressing time I was in there imagining everybody else having a great time even if they weren't and missing family and friends. We got a proper fried breakfast on Christmas Day from the Officers instead of the usual cereal. I remember being happy to get a new tracksuit as a present. Also got a few other bits and pieces from charities including a pouch of tobacco.. All in the past though thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They do, and I'm totally against it. What kind of message does it send? What about the victims? If you're in prison, you're there for a reason and you shouldn't be let out until the sentence is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Yes, lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is the time spent on release included in the sentence? Or if you get a week out do they add that on to the end of it?

Collie D wrote: »
    Is the time spent on release included in the sentence? Or if you get a week out do they add that on to the end of it?

No it counts as part of your sentence. It doesnt change your release date

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Some posts deleted.

Jesus christ lads, some of you have been around here a while and still have no cop on. Until a case has been through the courts, there is to be no discussion on any medium. You DO want justice to be served, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'd have thought that the whole point of sending someone to jail is to prevent them from celebrating christmas and all the thing that free people enjoy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'd have thought that the whole point of sending someone to jail is to prevent them from celebrating christmas and all the thing that free people enjoy..

Totally agree with that. What's the point otherwise.

There should be none of these rewards. Other things like early release etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Those on temporary release are near the end of their sentences as has already been outlined, plus the Irish Prison Service would take a number of factors into account:

Length of sentence
    Reason they were imprisoned
    Behaviour while in prison

Of note is that the majority of these prisoners are being released from open prisons so there is already a considerable level of trust placed in them.

Naturally you will always get the odd one who won't return when they are supposed to, but that will only lead to consequences such as an extended sentence/removal of privileges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

All people, even prisoners, deserve the opportunity to rehabilitate and remember the good life for the outside.

It's important that prison society itself has benefits to good behaviour.

Glad to see some like the poster above, have turned things around.

I know why people think that. But I got it because I was due to be released about 6 weeks later, had a good record in prison with only 1 P19 and I guess they thought I could be trusted and I did follow the rules.

Looking back I probably deserved what I got as a sentence but if you are prepared to change and do what tou are told to do you should be treated a but better than somebody who doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Exactly. There's a simple way of avoiding prison, but if you don't then there should be zero privileges.

All people, even prisoners, deserve the opportunity to rehabilitate and remember the good life for the outside.

It's important that prison society itself has benefits to good behaviour.

Glad to see some like the poster above, have turned things around.

Exactly. I'm far from perfect but after getting out I went to college for 3 years, got a degree this Summer and am now working in a "proper" job. That is something about getting a long enough sentence - plenty of time to think, sort your **** out and change your ways but iy only happens if you want to and have support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Patww79 wrote: »
    Exactly. There's a simple way of avoiding prison, but if you don't then there should be zero privileges.

No because the prison system needs to have a way of encouraging and rewarding good behaviour and distinguish between prisoners that are compliant and those that aren't

Prisoners on enhanced status which is earned over time get privileges over those that aren't. It's perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my understanding prisoners can often be on temporary release at all times of the year but the media makes more of an ordeal out of it at Chritmas.

Patww79 wrote: »

I know we are totally different sides on this and dont want to wind you up but am interested in what you think having been through it.

Do you mainly object to early release and temporary release?

Or is it the day to day things like being able to wear your own clothes, being allowed to smoke, having a TV that are all technically privileges under prison rules? They van all be taken away as punishment.

The thing is there are alot more prisoners than officers and I am sure they would prefer there being less hassle and they do that by giving privileges to keep prisoners occupied and stay away from trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They do, and I'm totally against it. What kind of message does it send? What about the victims? If you're in prison, you're there for a reason and you shouldn't be let out until the sentence is complete.
    Temporary release towards the end of a sentence or for exceptional circumstances, e.g. family funeral, are ways to reduce prison tension, reward good behaviour and allow prisoners to adjust to live after prison.

Releasing people for a few hours or days are ways for the prisons service and probation service to determine what a prisoner's behaviour is going to be like when they are finally released. As there are restrictions on the temporary release, e.g. sign-on at garda station, stay sober, avoid other criminals, it helps to condition prisoners to engage in model behaviour on release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Sounds like a wonderful idea, what could possibly go wrong.

The season of cheer and goodwill!

Advertisement