Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death, Taxes and Incorrect Air conditioning Temperature

• 21-12-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Benjamin Franklin was quoted saying "...in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

Its a very true statement. But in modern times the saying needs to be updated to include air conditioning in offices.

"in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and bad air conditioning in offices."

Its either too hot or too cold. In the office today and its like an ice box and there is nobody around to fix it because the controls are locked out any anyone with access is on holidays. wonderful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Put on a jumper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Man up and do your job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You'll never be able to please everyone.

The standard is to have 90% of the people happy, that's about as good as you can hope for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What is the correct temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭blackbox

Boom_Bap wrote: »

24 deg C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Boom_Bap wrote: »

There is no correct answer to that.

The legal minimum temperature for sedentary work such as in offices is 17.5 degrees C after one hour of work.

There is no legal maximum temperature written down in legislation but there are obligations for an employer to make sure that it isn't so hot that it poses a danger to employee's health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

blackbox wrote: »
    24 deg C
    Why do people in this country heat their homes so they're warmer in winter than anywhere is on the warmest weeks of summer? 24 degrees is uncomfortably warm to an Irish person who isn't constantly exposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Standard is meant to be 21 not 24. The problem is big spaces are difficult to heat evenly. In my opinion it's better to err on the side of too cold as you can always put another layer on but there's no excuse for it being ice cold and I agree it's a problem in most offices I've worked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Benjamin Franklin was quoted saying "...in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

Its a very true statement. But in modern times the saying needs to be updated to include air conditioning in offices.

"in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and bad air conditioning in offices."

Its either too hot or too cold. In the office today and its like an ice box and there is nobody around to fix it because the controls are locked out any anyone with access is on holidays. wonderful.

Open a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

kneemos wrote: »
    Open a window.
    In this weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Should be set to 20 degrees.

That's the sweet spot.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    In this weather?
    I used to work with a guy, who clearly had some weird OCD thing going on. He said that he couldn't be in a building where all the windows are closed. He felt like he was suffocating.

So every morning, no matter what the weather was outside, he would do a lap of the floor we were on. If no windows were open, he would open one.

Usually a window in one of the meeting rooms. He sat nowhere near it, he couldn't even see it from his desk. But he couldn't function knowing that all the windows were closed.

Odd guy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The real world solution is to fit fake thermostats around the office.

Keep the moaners complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

mikhail wrote: »
    Why do people in this country heat their homes so they're warmer in winter than anywhere is on the warmest weeks of summer? 24 degrees is uncomfortably warm to an Irish person who isn't constantly exposed to it.

Good point, it is a different kind of warm though, its cosy, 24 degrees in summer is just sweaty and disgusting though. I love walking into cosy heated homes in winter but dont really put on the heat in my own because I tihnk its wasteful. Big jumper and blanket and mug of tea does the job

seamus wrote: »

That's the sweet spot.

I used to work with a guy, who clearly had some weird OCD thing going on. He said that he couldn't be in a building where all the windows are closed. He felt like he was suffocating.

So every morning, no matter what the weather was outside, he would do a lap of the floor we were on. If no windows were open, he would open one.

Usually a window in one of the meeting rooms. He sat nowhere near it, he couldn't even see it from his desk. But he couldn't function knowing that all the windows were closed.

Odd guy.

Was he Korean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭blackbox

That's the sweet spot.

20 is fine if you are physically active. It is much too cold for a sedentary job.

20 is fine if you are physically active. It is much too cold for a sedentary job.

Ah it's about conditioning yourself really. When you have kids, the HSE drills it into you that the baby's room has to be 18 degrees. Any more than that and they'll die.

As a result you end up with the whole house set pretty cold. But after a few months you get used to it. Thermostat is always set to 18/19 degrees.

Anything higher than 20 degrees now and I'm melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is shocking how little thought is put into heating and air conditioning. They don't really consider anything other than size with no real consideration to layout.

When you consider the work in designing buildings it is so bizarre that this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

mikhail wrote: »

Totally agree.I know of Irish homes having heat at 26-28c.Extremely uncomfortable.The same people are the ones giving out about 21c being "too Hot" in Summer.
    I think it's the Irish psychology that the merest hint of coolness and everyone in the home will contract 'flu. N.B. 'flu is caused by a virus and not getting cold.
    There is strong evidence that a over hot home makes humans MORE susceptible to colds and flu.The hot,dry heat dries out the mucus in the nasal passages which trap viruses being inhaled and prevents them entering the body and leading to illness
    Hot house =Unhealthy
    Cooler House 18-22c =Healthy
    Try and convince people of that? Not a chance

Ah it's about conditioning yourself really. When you have kids, the HSE drills it into you that the baby's room has to be 18 degrees. Any more than that and they'll die.

As a result you end up with the whole house set pretty cold. But after a few months you get used to it. Thermostat is always set to 18/19 degrees.

Anything higher than 20 degrees now and I'm melting.

Yep..totally correct.What most consider cold now,100 years ago we would have considered mild
    Our internal thermostats have been reset to a lower threshold
    I always smile when I hear a weather forecaster saying "a chilly day with temps of 9 to 11c"
    I also think people turn their heating on by referring to the calendar and not the thermometer "well,it's November so it MUST BE cold" :D

Humidity has a lot to do with it too
    Somedays you can feel cold when its 11c outside,another day and 10c is fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Do they actually say that?

Why is it that children born in blisteringly hot countries in the Middle East or sub Saharan Africa usually survive?

Do they actually say that?

Why is it that children born in blisteringly hot countries in the Middle East or sub Saharan Africa usually survive?
    They keep babies out of the sun. And they probably have more SIDS than we do.

It's a statistical thing really. They don't know the mechanism. Children under 1 year old whose rooms are above 20 degrees are more likely to suffer cot death. That's it's. That's the data.

18 is the ideal temperature; peak survival temp. They don't know why. It's probably one of several factors, but who's going to take that risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is shocking how little thought is put into heating and air conditioning. They don't really consider anything other than size with no real consideration to layout.

When you consider the work in designing buildings it is so bizarre that this happens

Unfortunately, it's not just air-con. For many architects, the people in the building are an inconvenience that mess up their beautiful design.

How often to you find basic things that just don't work for the people who use the building - sinks or paper towel dispensers that you can't quite work out how to switch on, toilets with hand-made A4 laminated signs added afterwards to instruct people how to flush, 'push button to release' doors that serve no function other than to make people push a button.

Advertisement