Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping breakfast?

• 10-12-2018 9:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭UCD GroupThink

You know the way when were we younger we would have heard, that going without a breakfast is very dangerous, and that it can actually make you gain weight.

Is that just something that's said to make anorexic kids eat. I think I heard Dr Phil say it to a fat girl who was desperately trying to lose weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM&t=447s

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

I (try) to follow this which means my first meal of the day is usually lunch at 12/1pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭UCD GroupThink

MagicIRL wrote: »

I (try) to follow this which means my first meal of the day is usually lunch at 12/1pm.
    Yeah I heard about that recently. But what Dr Phil said made me wonder is it best to fast before bed, than in the morning.

Technically I fast for 9 hours at the moment, so I wouldn't be aiming for 16 hours! I think I might aim for 12 hrs!

Brilliant deduction there Watson.
    Did you not hear it too?

Right now I didn't eat since 11:30 last night. So is it okay if your stomach rumbles a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Breakfast is the most important **** of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

You know the way when were we younger we would have heard, that going without a breakfast is very dangerous, and that it can actually make you gain weight.

Is that just something that's said to make anorexic kids eat. I think I heard Dr Phil say it to a fat girl who was desperately trying to lose weight.

Lol dr Phil. Is he even a real doctor?
    Do real doctors watch the show?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Skipping and eating gets messy, especially with cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I've skipped breakfast for year. Can safely say this is not true. In fact I'd say it's the opposite. It probably helps you burn fat.

I've skipped breakfast for year. Can safely say this is not true. In fact I'd say it's the opposite. It probably helps you burn fat.
    But does your stomach rumble in the morn?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That advice is wise in that if you skip breakfast you are then going to get hungry midmorning and eat junk. Eating a breakfast stops that.

Fasting also is dodgy; the body sees what is happening and slows down .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

But does your stomach rumble in the morn?

Of course it does. But you get used to it. And then your body adapts to it. Drink cold water/coffee and it'll suppress your hunger.

Of course it does. But you get used to it. And then your body adapts to it. Drink cold water/coffee and it'll suppress your hunger.
    I've recently heard that because coffee has to be processed by the liver, that it turns your whole system on again. So if you're fasting you should only be on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Skipping breakfast will definitely help you lose weight. Skipping burns loadsa calories. That combined with not eating and the weight will fall off of you.

• Not sure historically Breakfast was all that much of a thing if something I learned a few months ago is true. Apologies for inaccuracies below - this is from memory:

Caroline Yeldham - a food historian which is a job I never knew existed until recently - points out that for example only soldiers in active campaign and the more intense manual labourers really partook of breakfast in Ancient Rome.

Mostly they would aim for a large meal around 3-4PM. The Romans that did eat a morning meal - called Jetaculum - bread cheese nuts and wine seemed to be the general meal of choice. Lots of drink charioting to work in those days I wonder.

Then in the middle ages not having a morning meal saw a rise in popularity. A noon meal became common then and morning meals were even considered a bit gluttonous if the writings of priest Thomas Aquinas are to be believed. Bread and beer in the morning was - similar to Rome - more for people who had a physically intense day ahead of them. This also had the effect of making breakfast look like something only poor people did - and hence was somewhat looked down on.

Interesting that in that time the noon meal - which was for many the first of the day therefore - was actually called "dinner" the etymology of which comes from the French word for breakfast which is "disnar". So basically lunch was breakfast and it was called dinner :):):)

The "most important meal of the day" narrative seems to have come in around the early 18th century. And some time later the man who sent us down the road of what would ultimately end in breakfast cereals and the like - was a man who also enjoyed electro shocking the genitals of children or applying acid to them, and removing the clitoris on females. Just sayin' :)

Ok. Do you want a medal?
    How uncalled for. Try not to butt in on others conversing. Why don't you make that response to every other line of advice in this thread?

Now go bugger off please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

How uncalled for. Try not to butt in on others conversing. Why don't you make that response to every other line of advice in this thread?

Skipping breakfast makes you cranky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Part of a high metabolism is eating small amounts regularly. Ask any pigmy shrew or mouse and they'll tell you.
    Fasting will slow your metabolism. As will long periods sitting. Avoid both if you want to burn fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Break the fast.

You haven't eaten for about 10 hours or so, you can break it or extend it to lunch time by way of intermittent fasting. I guess the theory goes that by fasting intermittently you give your digestive system an extended break from digesting another meal as after all, your body is covered with fat (i.e. energy) anyway so it's not like skipping breakfast every so often will starve you.

Whatever meal you decide to eat will be your break fast meal. The whole most important meal of the day concept was possibly peddled by (shock horror) cereal makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

As with all diets it totally depends on the person.

For like 10 years I never had breakfast. I just preferred to sleep before work. Lunch would be my first meal. I'm fairly trim and don't gain weight easily.

Then I met my wife and she can't do without breakfast so I started having breakfast. It didn't make the slightest difference to my weight.

Other people eat a chocolate bar and they gain the mass of a small star.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tenor.gif?itemid=5478685

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Part of a high metabolism is eating small amounts regularly. Ask any pigmy shrew or mouse and they'll tell you.
    Fasting will slow your metabolism. As will long periods sitting. Avoid both if you want to burn fat.
    This confuses me then!!

I did hear Dr Mark Hyman talk about the benefits of spacing out your meals. But then again he also said not to eat 3 hours before bed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This confuses me then!!

I did hear Dr Mark Hyman talk about the benefits of spacing out your meals. But then again he also said not to eat 3 hours before bed.
    I had to Google this Dr Hyman and oh he is one of these heal your body through food guys! Also he reckons people drinking diet drinks still get fat because the diet drink counts, not it bloody doesn't. It's the Big Mac the had with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's all sorts of bull**** science about when and how to eat and spacing stuff out, most of it is "nutritionists" throwing out vaguely weight-related words like "metabolism" and "fat-burning" and making it sound like there is rock solid proveable science behind it.

Studies have shown that there is a correlation between skipping breakfast, and obesity. Especially with children. This doesn't mean that skipping breakfast makes you fat, but the data shows massive overlaps between the group of people who skip breakfast, and the group of people who are overweight.

If you start eating breakfast you will not magically get skinny. If you start skipping breakfast you will not magically get fat.

Most likely it is both the chicken and the egg. People who are fat will have bad eating habits which involve just eating whatever, whenever, rather than eating meals at a set time. But also people who have bad eating habits and do not sit down for set meals, most likely tend to snack more, and tend to eat more when they do sit down. And so become fat.

There is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast so long as you are paying some level of attention to how much and what you're eating. Also, if breakfast is a cup of coffee and a triple-chocolate muffin from Starbucks on your way to work, then you're better off skipping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Fat people or those likely to have trouble maintaining weight also forget half the food they eat.

Used to live with a girl who had issues with weight and she would be complaining about putting on weight even though she ate barely anything. This would be after a day of me witnessing her eat a **** tone of food by constantly snacking and eating a salad the size of Mt. Everest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I only eat breakfast at the weekend and often don’t eat lunch either. It’s a very natural way of eating, its clear the food industry has an incentive to push eating all the time so they can sell more snacks and junk food breakfast cereals and the rest. Obviously the food you eat when you do has to be right too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    its clear the food industry has an incentive to push eating all the time so they can sell more snacks and junk food breakfast cereals
    You reckon they're in bed with Dr Phil?

topper75 wrote: »
    I think the intermittent fasters would argue that when you go beyond 12 hours of eating, that your metabolic enzymes will begin to shut down anyway!

So therefore it's better (for your 16 waking hours), to be eating in a 12 of those hours, than 15/16 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think its a very annoying myth that was put out there

Skipping breakfast is indirectly linked with weight gain because some people skip it and get super hungry and binge eat later on and that causes weight gain

If you skip breakfast, and dont binge eat later, and eat normally throughout the day then of course skipping breakfast will not make you gain weight it will make you lose weight

In my personal opinion everyone should eat a health and hearty breakfast, I love having a big filling breakfast and look forward to it every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I like chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

These health nutters are truly a wonder of the modern world. They want to be healthy by skipping the most important meal of the day. Breakfast is the meal after 8 hours of sleep, and for one to fall back on for the working hours of the morning.

It must be a miserable experience to work through the morning hours on a starving stomach.

Advertisement