Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Del.Monte wrote: »
    At least Fr.McGreil has a genuine interest in something unlike the detached economist Colm McCarthy who only interest, apart from hearing his own voice/or and reading his own drivel, is getting paid for same.

he does too. A genuine interest in stopping tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

westtip wrote: »
    he does too. A genuine interest in stopping tourism.

In fairness, Fr.McGreil has been campaigning for the reopening of the Claremorris/Collooney line for even longer than you've been doing the reverse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

At least Fr.McGreil has a genuine interest in something
    Yes indeed. A genuine interest in getting the government to spend hundreds of millions of euro indulging his genuine interest in trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

At least Fr.McGreil has a genuine interest in something unlike the detached economist Colm McCarthy who only interest, apart from hearing his own voice/or and reading his own drivel, is getting paid for same.
    Whats the line ....."play the ball not the man"?

In fairness, Fr.McGreil has been campaigning for the reopening of the Claremorris/Collooney line for even longer than you've been doing the reverse. :D

Your point being?

• Advertisement

Your point being?

Is there any point to anything in this discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Sounds like you're having an existentialist crisis there, Monte.

My point is this is not a matter of who has been campaigning longest who wins the argument, it is he or she who has the best argument and reasoning. In Sligo reason has won out, in galway it is close to winning out, in Mayo the county council will eventually be bought in kicking and screaming with reasoned argument. In claremorris there is no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

In Sligo reason has won out, in galway it is close to winning out, in Mayo the county council will eventually be bought in kicking and screaming with reasoned argument. In claremorris there is no hope.
    Once Bellahy->Collooney and Milltown->Athenry get Greenwayed (which they will) Mayo can tilt at windmills for as long as they like, for there will be nowhere for a train to go and no point in them campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

There is a point. We need to organize a Western Rail Corridor/Boards Beers so we can all skull pints and talk about it face to face. :D Sean's pub in Castlrea may be closed, but we can hire it out for the face off of the century inside a loco. I'm sure he'll get the kegs in for us.:D I think it would be great craic altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

serfboard wrote: »
    Once Bellahy->Collooney and Milltown->Athenry get Greenwayed (which they will) Mayo can tilt at windmills for as long as they like, for there will be nowhere for a train to go and no point in them campaigning.

And will we have windmill-powered zipwires to get greenway users and their bikes through the County Mayo from Bellaghy to the Galway border?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

And will we have windmill-powered zipwires to get greenway users and their bikes through the County Mayo from Bellaghy to the Galway border?:D

Bellaghy to Ballindine Sleepers and Dust- a rusty rails tourist attraction for the tens of fanatics.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Bellaghy to Ballindine Sleepers and Dust- a rusty rails tourist attraction for the tens of fanatics.

With planning permission for nothing.:D

With planning permission for nothing.:D

In truth, if one needed planning permission to "do nothing" with land and assets- we wouldn't be here talking muck every second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A lift to platform 2 would do no harm in Ennis, today we've had to leave the station, driver had to get out, walk to the other end of the train, get back in and then go back to the station to get the passenger who required assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't know how much lifts (x2) cost, but it would be a lot.

Why not just have a level pedestrian crossing to allow passengers to cross the line, it's not as if there will be any express trains come along.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why not just have a level pedestrian crossing to allow passengers to cross the line, it's not as if there will be any express trains come along.

I think that the crossing would have to have gates, or the people crossing would have to wear hi-vis jackets. :)

I think that the crossing would have to have gates, or the people crossing would have to wear hi-vis jackets. :)
    I would imagine that two sets of remotely lockable gates would be far cheaper than 2 lifts.
    You could of course install a coat rail for the hi-vis jackets each side for the passengers to pick up and drop off the other side. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would imagine that two sets of remotely lockable gates would be far cheaper than 2 lifts.
    You could of course install a coat rail for the hi-vis jackets each side for the passengers to pick up and drop off the other side. ;)

Plus a rack of umbrellas because it rains a lot in the wesht.

:)

• Advertisement

Plus a rack of umbrellas because it rains a lot in the wesht.

:)

And inflatable dingys for the flooded section of track

will you stop! you and your common sense!

Can wheelchairs cross?

Can wheelchairs cross?
    Yes, that's how it used to be done in the past, if you couldn't go over the bridge, you walked over the level crossing.
    Look at any old photos of railway stations, you'll see the pedestrian crossing at the end of the platform.
    Like this one for example.
    ortonwrvillestn1960.jpg

Yes, that's how it used to be done in the past, if you couldn't go over the bridge, you walked over the level crossing.
    Look at any old photos of railway stations, you'll see the pedestrian crossing at the end of the platform.
    ortonwrvillestn1960.jpg

You forgot about the nanny state, no one could possibly do this now, there would be too many cases of I got hit by a train I didn't know was coming and I am suffering from severe mortality.

You forgot about the nanny state, no one could possibly do this now, there would be too many cases of I got hit by a train I didn't know was coming and I am suffering from severe mortality.

Someone forgot all that pedestrian safety stuff when they approved the Luas layout in Dublin. People walking and cycling back and over in front of those poor drivers every day of the week. But sure those hipsters in de Capital have different rules for everything.

ortonwrvillestn1960.jpg

I guessed that's what you meant. Yeah, those are brutal for wheelchairs, with front wheels getting stuck in the gaps.

I guessed that's what you meant. Yeah, those are brutal for wheelchairs, with front wheels getting stuck in the gaps.

AFAIK that type of crossing was known as a 'barrow crossing' from a time when railways provided a useful purpose - passengers weren't meant to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

AFAIK that type of crossing was known as a 'barrow crossing' from a time when railways provided a useful purpose - passengers weren't meant to use them.

Yeah, they're known as barrow crossings. Lethal at the best of times, even more so if trains were crossing at the station.

• Advertisement

how could the wheels get stuck if they were crossing the line at right angles?

Advertisement