Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This. These architects always go for form over function. The only thing from the ****e modern architect that never works in practice checklist they didn't go for was open plan kitchen/dining/sitting room.

And it's a bad layout too as well as the space wasted between the hall and the landing. Who wants the utility room right beside the sitting room? It would be great fun listening to the washing machine spinning when you're watching TV of an evening.

Modern washing machines can be pretty quiet. With a decent bit of sound proofing you probably wouldn't notice it but even still why do it. Also, cloakroom is nowhere near the front or back doors. Maybe it is just for general storage but if it is for storing jackets it should be near the front or back door.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The architect* in Clonakilty got so excited at putting in 5 different roof elevations that he forgot to leave proper head space on the landing. He then lost interest in the project, stuck up some swingy lights in the ceiling and walked away.

*I doubt it was an architect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

miamee wrote: »

it's like they left the paint with the kids for the weekend and let them at it! At least the EA acknowledges it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

hots wrote: »
    it's like they left the paint with the kids for the weekend and let them at it! At least the EA acknowledges it.

Love the description. None of the pretentious shyte they normally run with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

In a seller's market they can afford to be realistic:
    "Commands outstanding views of a halting site and waste dump"
    "Requires extensive renovation of a sort only a fool would undertake"
    "Massively overpriced for what is a typical Celtic tiger thrown-together shack"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ronaldinho wrote: »

Pfff! Any real estate agent worth their salt would have made a feature of the "roof garden".

548905.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ronaldinho wrote: »

Apart from calling it CityWest.

It's Fortunestown/Jobstown, the Lidl at the end of the road is the one that got looted and demolished in the snow a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Apart from calling it CityWest.

It's Fortunestown/Jobstown, the Lidl at the end of the road is the one that got looted and demolished in the snow a few years back.

Clicking the google street view link in the ad brings up a gable wall, and the remains of a burnt-out wheelie bin lying in the road

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2875731,-6.4174639,3a,89.9y,0.45h,89.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si_qGu0Qb7nvI3coKp3ZjPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

love the painted sockets lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

I always wonder from looking at different houses, why there is sofas in the kitchen area. I know the kitchen is the heart of a home but a sofa is a bit extreme imo.

I always wonder from looking at different houses, why there is sofas in the kitchen area. I know the kitchen is the heart of a home but a sofa is a bit extreme imo.

My wife moved a sofa into our kitchen at one point. It ended up being a shelf for coats and bags. Moved it back out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

miamee wrote: »

I love the OSB board side gate, really gives the place that rustic feel

This bit of grass outside would annoy me. It's not a front garden. It continues on along the side outside the wall of the property. The listing doesn't mention a front garden or driveway - just a "parking space" outside. And according to the land folio (below), it's not part of the property.

Yet it's in the exact place a front garden should be.

548926.jpg

548927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Any house I've been in that has a sofa in the kitchen they generally spend there day and evening in the kitchen and would rarely venture into the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

I hope that they at least used marine ply in the side door.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

josip wrote: »
    I hope that they at least used marine ply in the side door.

That's OSB, if you look at the listing its held up about as well as you'd expect raw OSB to hold up in the outdoors, I.E its a gust of wind away from being open planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

A huge bugbear of mine is sofas in the kitchen. It's in nearly every new development brochure I see these days and it just boggles my mind. There's never enough room in the kitchen for a sofa plus a dining table. If I'm in there I'm either cooking or eating, neither of which takes place on a sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    A huge bugbear of mine is sofas in the kitchen. It's in nearly every new development brochure I see these days and it just boggles my mind. There's never enough room in the kitchen for a sofa plus a dining table. If I'm in there I'm either cooking or eating, neither of which takes place on a sofa.

definately a generational thing , we dont have one in our kitchen , my mother has one in her house and sits on it a lot more than the one in the living room

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Loving the carpet in the sitting room.

https://www.daft.ie/share/dun-na-coiribe-headford-road-headford-road-co-galway/3165908

And this is a room share rent, not a buy so that carpet ain't going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

flazio wrote: »
    Loving the carpet in the sitting room.

https://www.daft.ie/share/dun-na-coiribe-headford-road-headford-road-co-galway/3165908

And this is a room share rent, not a buy so that carpet ain't going nowhere.

Carpet and curtains are lovely. The rest of the house is meh.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-ojai-cottage-kilpedder-co-wicklow/3150888

Damp, needs gutting, no parking, no garden, really a 1 bed as the 2nd bedroom is a wardrobe with a water tank in it. The extension is self build, unfinished and needs pulling down. 230,000 euro.
    That's lovely. A short drive to the Dart station, for easy access to Dublin. I'm not seeing the issue.

Maybe I lived in Dublin for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

That's lovely. A short drive to the Dart station, for easy access to Dublin. I'm not seeing the issue.

Maybe I lived in Dublin for too long.

To sort the damp and the extension and modernise is going to cost 80 to 100k approx. Then you're left with a property that has cost you 300k to 330k that has 1 bedroom, no parking and no garden.
    Access to Dublin is 90 minutes each way door to door. 15min drive to the park and ride, 10 min from car to dart, 55 min on dart then walk to office.

300 to 330 you could get a bungalow in the same area that is modern and has garden front and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-ojai-cottage-kilpedder-co-wicklow/3150888

Damp, needs gutting, no parking, no garden, really a 1 bed as the 2nd bedroom is a wardrobe with a water tank in it. The extension is self build, unfinished and needs pulling down. 230,000 euro.

Don't seem damp. A lot of damp can be solved by digging a trench around the perimeter and filling with gravel which can be done for free. I don't see why it needs gutting, aside from that extension which might be very fragile.

To sort the damp and the extension and modernise is going to cost 80 to 100k approx.
    Ah I dunno. When I moved into my first house I discovered there was damp, and most of the back had no foundations. It didnt cost anywhere near 100k to fix, it was a small fraction of that.

I wouldn't mind, but it was an an aunt who sold it to me. Just goes to show, always get a surveyor in!

Any house I've been in that has a sofa in the kitchen they generally spend there day and evening in the kitchen and would rarely venture into the living room.

Of course not, that’s where they cook. :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Where do you park the caravan trailer or keep the piebald? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't figure that house out at all.

Did they split the living room in two, creating what looks like an altar or something in one bit, and a telly room barely wider than the couch in the other?

No wonder they haven't provided a floor plan!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't figure that house out at all.

Did they split the living room in two, creating what looks like an altar or something in one bit, and a telly room barely wider than the couch in the other?

No wonder they haven't provided a floor plan!

One of the things does look like a strange baptism font.

Advertisement