Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I have no problem allowing an Uber-style model here, personally I'd be happy with the vetting etc being done by the company, but if it makes people feel better require them to get a taxi or hackney licence. However, change the rules that getting such a license only costs the administration fees and other artificial barriers to entry like requiring new ones to have wheelchair accessibility.

You could also require the company to have group insurance to cover issues arising on trips they arrange.

It only costs €170 for a wheelchair accessible license, subject to age limits of vehicle, but you'd sooner allow the mobility disadvantaged of Ireland to go crawl wherever they'd like to get to, so that people can drive their family vehicles a few hours a day to put what few WAT's we have now off the road.

markodaly wrote: »
    What most people miss in ride-sharing, is why the Irish regulator does not issue a Taxi license to people who want it.

At the moment, you cannot get one, which basically makes it almost impossible for a new entrant to enter the market unless they a) buy a license of someone else or wait until the regulator out of the kindness of their hearts releases more licenses.

Also, last time I looked it cost the guts of €5,000 for said taxi plate. Why is it so expensive?

New entrants can get a WTA license for €170.
    You can't buy a taxi plate off anyone anymore, unless they do a deal to transfer it on after their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Can name on Irish tech company who employs more than 1000 people in Ireland?

That's an absurd benchmark.

A firm employing 1,000 people in Ireland is absolutely massive. There are only 1.3m or so in the private sector workforce.

According to the CSO there are only 58 ICT firms employing more than 250 people in Ireland. That is for foreign and domestically owned. I would say no more than a dozen with more than a thousand staff.

Anyway, even successful Irish firms will eventually put their employees where their customers are. Kerry, Glanbia and Ryanair base the majority of their staff outside Ireland and have done for a long time.

• Start up business.
    • Losses of $4.5 billion.
    • In a service industry that has existed for well over a century all over the world.

This would suggest that they really don't know what they are doing.

Their real model is based on data acquisition, the same as myTaxi, all that valuable travel information is a sellable commodity why do you think Google were investing in it until they fell out.

But all three companies are still after the data, Uber, MyTaxi ( Daimler ) and Google

https://qz.com/880697/uber-is-finally-giving-the-public-a-glimpse-of-its-stunning-trove-of-transit-data/
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/mytaxi-ceo-interview

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/travis-kalanick-on-google-uber-relationship.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Spook_ie wrote: »
    New entrants can get a WTA license for €170.
    You can't buy a taxi plate off anyone anymore, unless they do a deal to transfer it on after their death.

You mean a WheelChair Accessible Taxi license, so long as you spend €30,000 on a wheelchair accessible car. Bargain! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bray Head wrote: »
    That's an absurd benchmark.

A firm employing 1,000 people in Ireland is absolutely massive. There are only 1.3m or so in the private sector workforce.

According to the CSO there are only 58 ICT firms employing more than 250 people in Ireland. That is for foreign and domestically owned. I would say no more than a dozen with more than a thousand staff.

Anyway, even successful Irish firms will eventually put their employees where their customers are. Kerry, Glanbia and Ryanair base the majority of their staff outside Ireland and have done for a long time.

What is the largest Irish tech multinational in Ireland and how many do they employ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

You mean a WheelChair Accessible Taxi license, so long as you spend €30,000 on a wheelchair accessible car. Bargain! LOL

Exactly. In which case, someone in some office somewhere can suggest anyone can get a license. But the reality is that this model shuts out uber. Why have a limited number of licenses?

The tech allows for someone to go out to work for a few hours on the fly. There's great flexibility in that. It's a more efficient use of peoples time and the available fleet of cars.

On this idea of ubers adding to traffic congestion, I don't accept that. A taxi is likely to go 'cruising' for work. An uber isn't. Whilst sitting in the car, there is usually somewhere to pull in temporarily. Other than that - and perhaps its symptomatic of how cost effective uber is where i'm at right now - I see uber's taking jobs immediately after they drop me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

What is the largest Irish tech multinational in Ireland and how many do they employ?

Probably Version 1?
    Not sure how many employees they have, but it is over 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Their real model is based on data acquisition, the same as myTaxi, all that valuable travel information is a sellable commodity why do you think Google were investing in it until they fell out.

But all three companies are still after the data, Uber, MyTaxi ( Daimler ) and Google

https://qz.com/880697/uber-is-finally-giving-the-public-a-glimpse-of-its-stunning-trove-of-transit-data/
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/mytaxi-ceo-interview

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/travis-kalanick-on-google-uber-relationship.html

Which backs up my point to some extent, Spook. Their true credentials and knowledge are not in the trade of getting people from A to B.

Which backs up my point to some extent, Spook. Their true credentials and knowledge are not in the trade of getting people from A to B.

They recognise the value of data - is all that means. They're still facilitators of getting people from point A to point B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

What's your point, data is valuable and is collected everywhere. The speed vans at the side of the road are collecting data and registrations. It's part of the world we live in today

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that is what such cars cost brand new. that is just how it is . you could get a second hand one a lot cheaper i'm sure. if you want to be a taxi driver then that is the rules, and they should not be removed just to facilitate uber who can compete if they so wish.
    Exactly. In which case, someone in some office somewhere can suggest anyone can get a license. But the reality is that this model shuts out uber. Why have a limited number of licenses?

The tech allows for someone to go out to work for a few hours on the fly. There's great flexibility in that. It's a more efficient use of peoples time and the available fleet of cars.

On this idea of ubers adding to traffic congestion, I don't accept that. A taxi is likely to go 'cruising' for work. An uber isn't. Whilst sitting in the car, there is usually somewhere to pull in temporarily. Other than that - and perhaps its symptomatic of how cost effective uber is where i'm at right now - I see uber's taking jobs immediately after they drop me off.

our model doesn't shut out uber. uber can come here and compete if they so wish. they are not stopped from doing so. they simply have to abide by the rules as set down, rules which exist for the benefit of the users of taxis. if they do not wish to come here, that is up to them, they are the only ones shutting themselves out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

if you want to be a taxi driver then that is the rules, and they should not be removed just to facilitate uber who can compete if they so wish.
    our model doesn't shut out uber. uber can come here and compete if they so wish. they are not stopped from doing so. they simply have to abide by the rules as set down, rules which exist for the benefit of the users of taxis. if they do not wish to come here, that is up to them, they are the only ones shutting themselves out.

So 'thems the rules'? BS. Simplify the system and allow better utilisation of peoples time and the existing car stock.

If the tech can facilitate someone who wants to go out and work for a few hours or switch on their availability to accept a fare if they're going on a particular journey, they should be allowed to do so. Protectionism is negative and ultimately, it never wins out.

So 'thems the rules'? BS. Simplify the system and allow better utilisation of peoples time and the existing car stock.

If the tech can facilitate someone who wants to go out and work for a few hours or switch on their availability to accept a fare if they're going on a particular journey, they should be allowed to do so. Protectionism is negative and ultimately, it never wins out.

There is no protectionism, just minimum requirements which uber choose not to adhere to thereby excluding themselves from the market, simples

Unless of course, you are advocating that we drop the bare minimum standards that took a long time to get put in?

There is no protectionism, just minimum requirements which uber choose not to adhere to thereby excluding themselves from the market, simples

Unless of course, you are advocating that we drop the bare minimum standards that took a long time to get put in?
    Of course I am. Tell me why someone can't be issued a license tomorrow for a minimal fee? Everyone knows the model facilitates people to go out and work as and when it suits. You can't do that if you restrict in this fashion. It's protectionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,124 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There is no lack of taxi services in Dublin. As noted above, government policy needs to be focussed on getting cars (including taxis) off the streets over the next two decades.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There is no lack of taxi services in Dublin. As noted above, government policy needs to be focussed on getting cars (including taxis) off the streets over the next two decades.

The law of supply and demand is the best regulation. If there's enough, there won't be more on the streets than are needed.

I understand your point but I don't think the consideration of car-sharing services has any bearing on it....although it could help when used on a opportunist basis - but current regulation prevents this.

They recognise the value of data - is all that means. They're still facilitators of getting people from point A to point B.

Illegally so in Ireland under their intended business model.

I don't know.

You were making the rhetorical point so I guess it's your job to find out.

Basically all people who aren't Taxi drivers or related to them would prefer to have the choice of an Uber service with say 30 t0 40 percent cheaper fares.

Taxi drivers will come up with any argument to keep them out.

Choice is better.

• Advertisement

Illegally so in Ireland under their intended business model.
    Sure - that's the protectionism - which is stifling progression and innovation - that we're talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The law of supply and demand is the best regulation.
    why?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

It only costs €170 for a wheelchair accessible license, subject to age limits of vehicle, but you'd sooner allow the mobility disadvantaged of Ireland to go crawl wherever they'd like to get to, so that people can drive their family vehicles a few hours a day to put what few WAT's we have now off the road.
    that is what such cars cost brand new. that is just how it is . you could get a second hand one a lot cheaper i'm sure. if you want to be a taxi driver then that is the rules, and they should not be removed just to facilitate uber who can compete if they so wish.

Are you in favour of not allowing existing licences to renew unless they have a wheelchair accessible car?

Frankly, I think this measure has the unintended consequence of making it harder for wheelchair users to get a cab as all the accessible ones are being used up.

why?

why not? What is the reason to set artificial controls?

glasso wrote: »
    Basically all people who aren't Taxi drivers or related to them would prefer to have the choice of an Uber service with say 30 t0 40 percent cheaper fares.

I highly doubt Uber could sustainably offer 30% to 40% cheaper fares than the regulated fare.

Driving a taxi is not a high-margin occupation. Taxi fares (adjusted for cost of living) are at the low end in Ireland compared to most European countries.

I highly doubt Uber could sustainably offer 30% to 40% cheaper fares than the regulated fare.

If that's the case, then it will correct itself pretty quickly.

Driving a taxi is not a high-margin occupation. Taxi fares (adjusted for cost of living) are at the low end in Ireland compared to most European countries.

this article is fairly recent (2017) by when uber was well established / running over a number of years in London- not exactly the same situation but a reasonable comparison

. They ran a three-day experiment taking 29 journeys from different locations around London. One researcher hailed a taxi from the Uber app while another took a traditional black cab to the same destination, with the route left up to the driver.

"At the end of their trial, black cabs worked out faster, taking on average 88 per cent of the time an Uber did – although they were also around 35 per cent more expensive."

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2117966-taxi-races-show-black-cabs-beat-uber-on-speed-but-not-cost/

Sure - that's the protectionism - which is stifling progression and innovation - that we're talking about.

Basic laws relating to car insurance and basic State licensing isn't what classes as protectionism to the vast majority of society. The bar for taxi permits in Ireland is not set at a terribly high level all told; it is too low if anything. Uber are more than welcome to utilise drivers and cars that meet such standards, which in Ireland are rather modest in comparison to may other countries.

Basic laws relating to car insurance and basic State licensing isn't what classes as protectionism to the vast majority of society. The bar for taxi permits in Ireland is not set at a terribly high level all told
    Ok, so how does the insurance thing work in Ireland? I know in some markets, Uber have their own insurance. Is there a reasonable provision for insurance - as if there isn't, who's fault is that?

I thought that someone had said it's not possible to get a license right now for the most part?

Anything that stifles an innovative approach only serves to hold society back.

• Advertisement

Of course I am. Tell me why someone can't be issued a license tomorrow for a minimal fee?

They can, for a 170 eur fee
    Everyone knows the model facilitates people to go out and work as and when it suits. You can't do that if you restrict in this fashion. It's protectionism.

You have just described the situation for independent taxi drivers who can work when they please so it's not restricted or protected

Advertisement