Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Deleted

Yup, why not? It's additional 5 minutes journey time compared to continuing to Hazelhatch, hardly a massive extension.

According to previous posts on FB, the issue with this wasn't additional distance but in fact the NTA feared negative response when the connection reverted back to Hazelhatch. Which has to go down as one of the most Irish reasons ever to not implement an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I didn’t say that, you’re getting the wrong end of the stick - I just explained the theory behind the spines - the spine routes are supposed to deliver even headways along the core section of each spine. Once you add extra departures on Spine routes, that concept becomes redundant.

Personally, I would suggest that if you want the spine concept to work then probably running them as additional express services might be best to/from Leixlip and Maynooth.

It’s rather moot right now as Dublin Bus still haven’t the drivers to deliver the basic service, so expecting extra departures might be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It really doesn't matter what the headways are along a spine once they're above a certain frequency - I really hope no one planning services are thinking along those lines

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, either the service wouldn't be used; or it would and there would be demand to retain it.

• Advertisement

How else do you think the concept of spine routes integrated for scheduling purposes and separately numbered radial routes which operate outside of the core spine frequency was devised?

If you want to increase frequency, you’d recast all of the Spine route timetables or add else extra services on radial routes.

Otherwise you end up back with a jumbled mess in terms of uncoordinated schedules that this project was trying to eliminate.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

I think it's clear a link to rail in that area would be used.

And so what if there were demands to retain it, you just write in big bold letters on yesterday's press release that the routing to Adamstown is temporary until the connection to Hazelhatch is possible. Then just point to that sentence if an idiot tries to complain in the future.

Like what hope have we of changing public behaviour and reducing car use if the NTA decide it's better to leave everyone east of the grand canal without a PT connection to rail, just so they don't have to deal with the "hassle" of some clown complaining about a temporary connection being temporary. As I said, woeful leadership from THE state body tasked with driving the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It is really really exciting that these routes are being launched. This will be the first real test to see if people will actually switch from cars to public transport.

It's actually mind blowing that these routes don't already exist. On the M50 section, will the W4 have to sit in traffic across the toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The tolled section is free-flowing. There is no physical barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Some smart marketing could be used for the W4 "€2 leap fare, it's cheaper than the toll"

• Advertisement

I'm referring to rush hour traffic on that section of road! Which is as good as a physical barrier...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

The Double deckers are limited to 70km/h so they will never catch the end of the traffic on the M50. 😂

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's a shame the W62 doesn't connect to Adamstown - huge numbers living in the area looking to go to work in Grange Castle. It comes up regularly on local pages. Personally I think it would be more useful if the full W6 just skipped Hazelhatch and used the new Adamstown link road from Celbridge, then on up to Grange Castle.

The W4 will provide some very important links for Lucan to both Blanchardstown and Tallaght hospitals. Currently St James' is the most accessible hospital, but we are being pushed to attend Blanch and to a lesser extent Tallaght for our catchment, despite difficult public transport journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

"I'm referring to rush hour traffic on that section of road! Which is as good as a physical barrier..."

It'll be in the same traffic as the 76A so. Having a different route number on the bus won't get it through the toll section any quicker!

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just toying around with the TFI journey planner. A trip from my home in Maynooth to the office in Clondalkin for 9 am tomorrow morning will take 1hour 32mins from Monday the 26th will take 1 hour 15mins with significantly less walking! It seems generous with the walking time too so some of that time can be clawed back. W61 Maynooth to Hazelhatch and then the train to ParkWest all for €2 if I understand the 90-minute fare properly!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would have killed for that when I worked in Parkwest. On an exceptionally rare occasion the hazelhatch shuttle would meet a 67A seamlessly, or I'd go for a pint and hope not to miss it (no RTPI back then - it was also the old Cherry Orchard station and very few trains)

Sorry but what does it matter what the headways are once you have services on the spine at least every five minutes apart? Once you have a walk-up-and-go service, ie every five minutes or less, then headways are no longer the most important thing from a passenger perspective. The most important thing is capacity, in other words, actually being able to get on the bus. If NTA is going to restrict the spine by dogmatically restricting headways at the expense of meeting capacity needs, well then the whole network redesign is going to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Spines are designed to provide a solid regular frequency mainly for inner Dublin city. Once the spines' branches split, these suburbs aren't getting a benefit except the potentially new connections and 24/7 service. But capacity is the problem due to the frequencies. This should be addressed by providing more L or P/X routes (or increased frequency/extended hours). We should have had super spines on top of the spines which could go to the suburbs skipping some stops within the inner city (aka regular frequent X routes all day long), while shorter spines could focus on the inner city capacities and not necessarily be spread too far.

Older BC had a spine going to Malahide along the new BS bus 20 route.

We could be better having X serving Malahide, Howth, Swords, Blanch, Tallaght, Celbridge, Maynooth, Bray, Greystones etc. L could be in a much stronger position.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

The point is in the mathematics - so that you have a service (at least in achievable theory) every five minutes, and not three buses in the span of two minutes and then nothing for the next thirteen. To achieve that, each individual route must have the appropriate number of departures per hour compared with the other routes. In the case of the Cs, each service runs every 30 minutes in the midday so that spaced evenly apart they provide a 7.5 min frequency, and not the old adage of throwing an individual schedule at the wall and hoping that something sticks. Of course peak hours are their own thing, but some sort of sensibility should be maintained.

That doesn't make any sense. At the moment, the minimum headway is every 8 minutes on C spine - so even if you add additional services to just one route along the spine, you're not going to dilute the 8 minute headway along the spine. That's my point: if you have your desired minimum headway and you've achieved it, then it no longer is about maintaining the headway gaps (which you've achieved), you can actually add extra services at will. The problem occurs when you try to increase services AND maintaining a consistent (and reducing) gap in headway at the same time.

• Advertisement

The problem occurs when you try to increase services AND maintaining a consistent (and reducing) gap in headway at the same time.

That is the whole point of the Spine routes.

To get around that, there are the peak and radial routes operating additionally.

The issue is buses "bunching up". It's like a runaway loop.

If the average time between buses at every stop is different, you create a situation where one bus stops at every stop to pick up passengers (creating delays), while the next bus speeds past the empty stops and "catches up" with the previous bus.

Think of the Tube in London, if you've been on it. Trains arrive every 3-4 minutes, if one was late by 1-2 minutes the platforms would be overrun with people. It's the same idea on bus routes and it's more difficult to manage as every passenger has to tag-on using one machine.

It doesn't matter if the frequency is every 2 minutes or every 10 minutes, it's the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

You're going to dilute break the predictable (enough) pattern of services – if they're scheduled to go in order of, say, C1, C3, C2, C4 and then toss in something new and seemingly random, that's not of any use. It's one of the reasons why the 6 and 52 are separate services.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If I want to get to Leixlip, I don't care how many or how frequent C1 or C2 buses are as they don't get me to my destination. I care how often and how frequent C3/52/X25 are. I do catch X28 buses to the Spa hotel in the hope of catching an upstream bus, but more often than not I'm left waiting upwards of 30 mins for bus to complete the rest of the journey. The capacity and frequency just isn't there to support passenger needs. I have a very short commute if I get on a bus. More often than not I can be waiting 30-40 mins at rush hour to get on a bus which is ridiculous and between 3 and 5 nearly all buses on the C spine are full and don't let anyone on beyond Aston Quay. It's pathetic and was easily predicted that a reduction in city centre buses serving already oversubscribed areas wouldn't work. They only got away with it as long as they did because of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

On another note, the TFI app is losing information for several stops now. Makes the shoddy service even worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The issue is the service before/beyond Woodies in Lucan. Throwing in express services or the odd 'infrequent' route like the 52 is papering over it.

66s and 67s were famously full a lot of the day as they were, it's not like a sudden boost in passengers unlike a lot of routes since the spines were first mentioned.

It's probably why the H routes were in first.

To be 'stuck' with an non-flexible spine already isn't a great sign for the 39s, 27s and 15s and the like when they change, significant routes with passengers right up to the end of their route.

It depends on what you're advertising as being committed to in terms of frequency. If you advertise the spine as being 8 minute headway at peak times, then you're not really breaking that promise if the frequencies are better than that occassionally to facilitate extra demand in Maynooth. Of course, if the extra services to Maynooth (which are sorely needed) are inadequate to facilitate being able to claim better frequencies, then the solution isn't to doggedly stick to the existing timetable and dilute the customer experience by sending busses that are full by the time they reach a certain point in the route and leaving people behind, the solution is to put on extra services without trying to claim that it will reduce your advertised minimum headway. Nobody is going to gripe about the gap between services being less than 8 minutes and not as advertised if it actually represents an improvement in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jesus. This is a shocking story.

I hope this horrible individual is a one off and never gets back on the C4 or any other bus route in this country ever again.

The level of violence and abuse he carried out on the passengers on the C4 to Maynooth in question was shocking and disgusting.

The fact that he physically hit a female victim on the bus to make her get PTSD as a way to avoid taking more public transport journeys in future is appalling.

And this dangerous cretin only got 2 years behind bars for this disgraceful crime. What a joke. I seriously hope that he will regret it soon as a way of learning a harsh lesson later on in life.

He definitely deserves it.

• Advertisement

That's a horrendous story, I don't think I've ever heard of anything as severe as that happening on a dublin bus. I don't particularly understand how the driver could have been so unaware of the assaults on the bus that he didn't pull over until a passenger asked, although the reporting may not be fully accurate in that regard. It's also fairly unnerving that they haven't identifed some of the victims. I hope they are ok and got appropriate medical treatment.

Advertisement