Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man child video gamers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd love to go out and meet girls but my parents only put 2 points in my CHA attribute when they spawned me.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

34. male. have 15 yr old son.
    Have a house. A job. Steady income. Happy relationship with partner.
    Usual 2-3 holidays a year.
    Have a car.
    A car loan.
    I watch TV. Movies.
    I go to the gym 3 times a week.
    Weekends, I see friends, family, do outdoor stuff.

All normal so far yeah?

2-3 nights a week, I play computer games. I even got a Oculus Rift for Christmas.
    I look like a prat when playing it.
    I play all sorts of games. I've spent about €3,000 on my PC in the last 3 years.
    But it's the most fun I've had in years playing games.

I'm happy.
    Very happy.

Still normal right?? right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭pah

Have a car.
    A car loan.
    I watch TV. Movies.

All normal so far yeah?

2-3 nights a week, I play computer games. I even got a Oculus Rift for Christmas.
    I play all sorts of games. I've spent about €3,000 on my PC in the last 3 years.

I'm happy.
    Very happy.

Weirdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Have a car.
    A car loan.
    I watch TV. Movies.

All normal so far yeah?

I'm happy.
    Very happy.

The Rift is like sooo last year, you wannabe poser noob!

• 34. male. have 15 yr old son.
    Have a car.
    A car loan.
    I watch TV. Movies.

All normal so far yeah?

I'm happy.
    Very happy.

Space Cadet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

But you have, as an adult, watched and enjoyed cartoons frequently in the past?

I have been known to enjoy some Beavis and Butthead.

• Seems April 1st is coming early this year! At least I hope it is!

Will anyone be making use of the "Aldi Teatime Takedown" campaign? :)

Apparently to "help" parents get their kids off the games console and down for dinner - Aldi have hired a crack team of gamers.

Parents have to reveal their kids gamer tag* - their online identity - to this crack team of gamers who will then all stalk the kid and make their life hell in the game by beating them and essentially harassing and bullying and targetting them.

The goal being to make the kid rage quit the games and happily meander down for a friendly and cordial family dinner.

*Please note, by submitting your child’s gamer tag, you’re giving our elite squad of professional gamer’s permission to request to join your child’s game via the platform

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Amazing. Can't wait for the law suit when one of their "crack team" turns out to be a paedo.

• ^ Well I am assuming it is an early joke and not real. As it seems to ridiculous to be real. Plus the "sign up" button simply links to a Facebook thread which kinda suggests it is a joke to me.

I suppose since they are asking for the kids "Gamer Tag" there is a risk someone taking it seriously will post that tag on that Face Book thread and broadcast it to every Pedo in the UK.

But so far no one has done that it seems which means either A) no one has missed the joke or B) they have constant moderation deleting people who do do that.

Wtf is the hysteria about pedos? They can just go online anyways. Why would they directly link it to their job?

It must be a joke, though. Highly weird that they give guides for PS, Xbox, and ..... Twitch??

• Advertisement

• ^ Yea I love the bit in the Twitch section where they say "Ask their permission". That gave me a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

One of my big regrets in life was spending too much time on video games in my 20's and early 30's and not enough time actually planning for my future. Otherwise I'd have my own place by now. It's only in the last two years that I've finally started to get my a$$ in gear and start planning properly for my future. The phrase "young and dumb" comes to mind :(

One of my big regrets in life was spending too much time on video games in my 20's and early 30's and not enough time actually planning for my future. Otherwise I'd have my own place by now. It's only in the last two years that I've finally started to get my a$$ in gear and start planning properly for my future. The phrase "young and dumb" comes to mind :(

I'm interested in how you've pinned it so much on gaming.. Were you unemployed because of it or spending all your money on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm interested in how you've pinned it so much on gaming.. Were you unemployed because of it or spending all your money on them?

I wasn't unemployed but I was spending quite a lot of money and time on them when I should have invested in a mortgage/car/other projects instead.
    I'm not knocking gamers, I just think that when it comes to other things in life,games should never be one of your first priorities unless you plan some sort of career in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If this is real, it is one of the weirdest and most bone-headed moves by a company that I have seen for a while. The gaming folks are reacting, too - from Twitter:

"Is your kid's rugby practice getting in the way of your weekends? We'll send in the Samoan International side to crush them so badly they'll abandon their hobby for good"

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'm not a gamer and never was.

However, I see no harm in anyone enjoying a hobby like this. It's relatively harmless. If youre an unemployed alcoholic who plays world of warcraft for 15 hous a day in their basement then we have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

As long as it never harmed anyone else, you should never regret anything that you did in the past that you enjoyed doing at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I fail to see how playing a game is somehow seen as worse than watching 'Dancing with the Stars' every week and spending money to vote on it.

Gaming isn't that stupid.

I wasn't umemployed but I was spending quite a lot of money and time on them when I should have invested in a mortgage/car/other projects instead.
    I'm not knocking gamers, I just think that when it comes to other things in life,games should never be one of your first priorities unless you plan some sort of career in gaming.

Fair enough if you feel that way, but as someone else said, if you enjoyed it, you shouldn't regret it.

Everyone wastes time doing x, y and z. Very few maximise their time and be productive for years on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I fail to see how playing a game is somehow seen as worse than watching 'Dancing with the Stars' every week and spending money to vote on it.

exactly! I'm a man child gamer. As well as the X-Box, I also play pokemon go and go to comic conventions every year (I've been to San Diego & New York Comic Con in the last few years and heading again this year).

I also have a lot of responsibilities with a good job, mortgage, car and girlfriend. It's all about balance.

• Advertisement

My girlfriend is getting doing more exercise that ever before because of Beat Saber, a VR game where you slash light sabers through boxes set to music. Like Guitar Hero but your whole body.

It's amazing really. She isn't a gamer one bit, but this one has hooked her.

A video of a very good player:

We can do most of that one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

exactly! I'm a man child gamer. As well as the X-Box, I also play pokemon go and go to comic conventions every year (I've been to San Diego & New York Comic Con in the last few years and heading again this year).

I also have a lot of responsibilities with a good job, mortgage, car and girlfriend. It's all about balance.

You are unwittingly doing the entire world a great favour by being you.

I have no interest in these things you listed, but homogeneity is something that would destroy this world. Resist it at every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

My girlfriend is getting doing more exercise that ever before because of Beat Saber, a VR game where you slash light sabers through boxes set to music. Like Guitar Hero but your whole body.

What use is it though if there isn't some camp lad to judge you at the end and say something outrageous?

What use is it though if there isn't some camp lad to judge you at the end and say something outrageous?

Tis' true. Uninstalling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can only imagine how ret...... dumb people look playing that game. It must look like a **** competition.

I can only imagine how ret...... dumb people look playing that game. It must look like a **** competition.

Aye, it's funny as hell to be honest. But everyone who's tried it has forgotten that within 5 seconds of starting to play.

It's gone down great with a lot of people who have come over specifically to try it. Most are wanting to get VR because of it, and these are all in their 30s and 40s, and not big gamers. It doesn't "feel" like a game cause you're right in that world, surrounded by it, and you have to hit those damned boxes to keep the music going.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

There are people that have finished Dark Souls in one play through without taking damage.

If you put that on your CV, people would probably be less inclined to hire you. Imagine Neil Armstrong going to a job interview and his moon holiday being a black mark against him.

I think what must really grate with people is the lack of fanfare gamers have in their achievements. Give a tiny few exceptional actors metal trophies and money for their equally productive careers, parade them in the media, and suddenly film and television are a mature form of entertainment.

To even assume it's possible to beat Dark Souls without taking damage, let alone that you will be the one to do it, would be considered certifiably insane if people knew what you were attempting.

Derision of video games is hilarious. To video game enthusiasts, you may as well be going around scoffing at the Sistine Chapel. You come across as a buffoon and your criticism only serves to highlight your own failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Aye, it's funny as hell to be honest. But everyone who's tried it has forgotten that within 5 seconds of starting to play.

It's gone down great with a lot of people who have come over specifically to try it. Most are wanting to get VR because of it, and these are all in their 30s and 40s, and not big gamers. It doesn't "feel" like a game cause you're right in that world, surrounded by it, and you have to hit those damned boxes to keep the music going.
    That looks like a lot of fun!
    I can definitely see the appeal.

I remember getting a wii, I think my parents spent more time playing it than me, seeing my mum beat my dad constantly at golf was hilarious especially as my dad is in single figures handicap wise.

My last console was probably a wii or PS2, but I got an XBox one maybe a year or so ago I love it, I maybe play for a couple of hours max a week but it is a great stress relief for me.

Its kind of amazing to see the growth of esports recently as well, I wouldnt get the appeal of watching someone else play a computer game but hey whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Hobosan wrote: »
    Derision of video games is hilarious. To video game enthusiasts, you may as well be going around scoffing at the Sistine Chapel. You come across as a buffoon and your criticism only serves to highlight your own failings.
    QTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Lost my interest in video games a long time ago although I do play retro games on the odd occasion - for the nostalgia. No problem with any adult playing video games although having said that when someone on a dating app says they are a big gamer and brags about it puts me right off.

Advertisement