Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus route creation

• 11-03-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

So doing a bit of crayon work here if you could create any Dublin bus/go ahead route where would it go and what route would it take to get there?

Personally I think a Lucan villiage to the square would be a good shout running via the Belgard road-fonthill road-castle road- ballyowen road-n4-Adamstown road and terminate at laraghcon estate.

Also I think a series of mini bus routes connecting swords with some of north Dublin’s rural communities such as naul,ballyboughal,oldtown and garristown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Blanchardstown centre to swords

serving navan road, broombridge luas, cabra, finglas, glasnevin, ballymun, santry avenue, swords road, Dublin airport and swords

Not only does it provide a service to the places mentioned it also provides a connection to the airport and swords for the cabra and phibsborough areas and to the areas served by the maynooth line and broombridge luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So doing a bit of crayon work here if you could create any Dublin bus/go ahead route where would it go and what route would it take to get there?

Personally I think a Lucan villiage to the square would be a good shout running via the Belgard road-fonthill road-castle road- ballyowen road-n4-Adamstown road and terminate at laraghcon estate.

Also I think a series of mini bus routes connecting swords with some of north Dublin’s rural communities such as naul,ballyboughal,oldtown and garristown.

Something like the 166*.....?

https://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6554/ND-%20Ballyfermot.pdf

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Carrickmines, Sandyford Ind Estate, Square Tallaght, Red Cow Luas, Liffey Valley SC, Blanchard's town SC, Dublin Airport, The Pavilions. All via M50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Look something like this https://www.busconnects.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Carrickmines, Sandyford Ind Estate, Square Tallaght, Red Cow Luas, Liffey Valley SC, Blanchard's town SC, Dublin Airport, The Pavilions. All via M50

You want a vehicle limited to 65kmh to do that?

• Advertisement

Are they all? What about single decker coach style busses? Even still, at times that speed isn't possible on the M50. It's a route that would serve lots of orbital journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Are they all? What about single decker coach style busses? Even still, at times that speed isn't possible on the M50. It's a route that would serve lots of orbital journeys

How would you get on to this bus ? Those is enter and exit the M50 at every junction ? Say at Blanch where would you board?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You don't need to go end to end but it would be good to have a service that will bring you between outer points of dublin to another outer point without have to go through the city centre. e.g. Tallaght to Sandyford or Blanch to the Airport/Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How would you get on to this bus ? Those is enter and exit the M50 at every junction ? Say at Blanch where would you board?

something like this?

https://goo.gl/maps/NrrShAxeTou

Google reckons 80 mins in a car that can do 120km/h, at least double that for a speed-limited bus with stops (assuming no traffic - is there much traffic on the M50 :pac:)

(I'm not convinced there's the demand for a route connecting up shopping centres around the M50, if there is why not go into Dundrum and Ikea while you're at it?)

loyatemu wrote:
    Google reckons 80 mins in a car that can do 120km/h, at least double that for a speed-limited bus with stops (assuming no traffic - is there much traffic on the M50 )

None of that route is 120km/hr. Your points about the speed capability of the bus and the congestion on that route largely contradict either other...

• Advertisement

I was anticipating the bus to only stop at those places, not at each M50 exit. Is there nowhere at blach that could be configured for a bus to stop?

loyatemu wrote:
    (I'm not convinced there's the demand for a route connecting up shopping centres around the M50, if there is why not go into Dundrum and Ikea while you're at it?)

Each of the stops typically themselves have decent transport connections, I excluded Dundrum as the traffic around there is a nightmare and the bus would be held up for a long time and it could be accessed from Sandyford via the Luas. IKEA isn't much of a destination compared to the other stops

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Something like this?

Yeah the start and end is right, just not the route it gives you in google maps my route was selected to hit as much housing and linked with as many other busses as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Very rough idea of the route, it’s no wonder art was never my strong suit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The skeleton of NCD services exist in Local Link and will likely be beefed up when they announce the replacement for the Rolestown DB route

It'll be tendered out and very unlikely to have DB bid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Dun Laoghaire to Sandyford Ind. Estate every hour as it would negate the need for 75a departures via Sandyford Ind. Estate which is a ridiculous connection and adds significant time to the 75. A proposed routing would be Dun Laoghaire, York Road, Mountown Road Upper past CBC, Monkstown Avenue, Stradbrook, Rowanbryn, Newtownpark Avenue, Leopardstown Road and terminating in Sandyford Industrial Estate either at the 11 terminus or the Luas stop.

Run every hour off peak and every 30 mins during the peak. It would provide an all day link from DL to Sandyford and would add an all day local service to other areas which do not have them. I wouldn't say it would have huge demand but maybe enough to run using GAI single deckers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes, to cater to standing passengers and they've no seat belts.
    You don't need to go end to end but it would be good to have a service that will bring you between outer points of dublin to another outer point without have to go through the city centre. e.g. Tallaght to Sandyford or Blanch to the Airport/Swords.

I'd support it alright. Although to critique it.

Most of that suggestion is covered by 75 and 76(a). It may be better to consider multiple routes that link in with each other instead of having 1 major route wrap around the city.

I cant remember the route that goes through Finglas from blanch shopping centre? I'd certainly think there should be consideration to planning those 3 routes so passengers can transfer between them promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Not just Dublin Bus but no buses from Finglas to the airport, disgraceful. I have to get to Drumcondra, no buses if early flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Not just Dublin Bus but no buses from Finglas to the airport, disgraceful. I have to get to Drumcondra, no buses if early flight.

Not just finglas, most of the Northside of Dublin are without buses to the Airport.

We need an orbital route that has multipurpose and includes the purpose of serving the Airport hence my suggestion in post 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Not a route creation, but a bus route extension.

The #16 ends in Ballinteer. Why not move the terminus to Dundrum? Increases use of bus, links Rathfarnham to Luas etc. A friend suggested this a few years ago but it was rejected for reasons unknown - probably because it was too practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

truncate the 84 so it just runs to Cherrywood and increase the frequency accordingly (this was proposed previously but political interference kiboshed it). It provides a link from North Wicklow to Dundrum and other locations along the Green Line, but at one bus an hour connections off the Luas are very tricky.

It's bizarre IMO that BusConnects doesn't include such a link - the proposed 201 and 202 routes both terminate at Bray and the A spine from Bray doesn't connect to the LUAS. The long term plan is to extend the Luas to Bray - if this is such a good idea why not put a bus route in place for now?

rgmmg wrote: »
    Not a route creation, but a bus route extension.

The #16 ends in Ballinteer. Why not move the terminus to Dundrum? Increases use of bus, links Rathfarnham to Luas etc. A friend suggested this a few years ago but it was rejected for reasons unknown - probably because it was too practical.

Extending the 16 to Dundrum while it sounds like a good idea it simply would not work. For starters Dundrum is a complete nightmare traffic wise and it would add on significant journey time to an already long and traffic prone route. Also the bus terminus in Dundrum at the Luas stop is already a tight squeeze with the Dublin 14, 44b, 161 and Dublin Coach terminating there and the 44, 75/a and 175 passing through there. Adding extra buses would un-workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

16 to Sandyford would be an easy and useful extension.

Make the 84 terminate at Cherrywood scrap the service to Blackrock as it's pretty much two routes in one at present one to serve the schools around Blackrock similar to the old 45 and the other to connect the Luas with Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole and Newcastle and each other.

To replace the service to serve the schools around Blackrock run every second 4 as the 4a to Bride's Glen via Deansgrange, Clonkeen Road, N11 and run on the new road that's being built from the N11 just south of Cabinteely to Cherrywood putting a bus lane on this road. It would make sense to increase the services to Cherrywood with all the development being done there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Extending the 16 to Dundrum while it sounds like a good idea it simply would not work. For starters Dundrum is a complete nightmare traffic wise and it would add on significant journey time to an already long and traffic prone route. Also the bus terminus in Dundrum at the Luas stop is already a tight squeeze with the Dublin 14, 44b, 161 and Dublin Coach terminating there and the 44, 75/a and 175 passing through there. Adding extra buses would un-workable.

The 16A was to have been extended to Dundrum as well but Network Direct saw it being culled.

The 16A was to have been extended to Dundrum as well but Network Direct saw it being culled.

The 16a perhaps would've been more suitable for an extension than the 16 from Ballinteer as it wouldn't be far from Nutgrove to Dundrum and there is a stretch of bus lane on both Churchtown Road and Nutgrove Road albeit in one direction but coming in from Ballinteer it would have to battle it's way past Dundrum SC at present most Ballinteer to Dundrum journies would already be covered by the 14, 75 and 175.

I think the Sandyford proposal is a better one than Dundrum as you could run it along the M50 slip road even turn one of the lanes on either side to become a bus lane.

Would Killiney Hill Road past the Druid's Chair be able to take buses as I was thinking it would be good if they could extend the 59 past the Druid's Chair up towards Miltary Road and Ballybrack Village and from there you could continue the service up to Bride's Glen. I know they would be very tight roads for buses so it would probably be a bit of a push and something that is unlikely to happen but it would make the 59 a more useful bus for people other than OAPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the 33x travels along the M1/50 from M1j4 to M50J1 @65kmh and its faster than the train

I'd make a bus route to connect the red and green tram lines Dundrum to Kylemore

• Advertisement

the 33x travels along the M1/50 from M1j4 to M50J1 @65kmh and its faster than the train

I'd make a bus route to connect the red and green tram lines Dundrum to Kylemore

They were talking about a regular service, going throughout the M50. Not just a stretch, where the speed limit is reduced anyway.

How difficult is it to link up with the 18 from Dundrum? Which'll help sort that out. I'm also unsure why you'd choose to focus on getting to Kylemore.

Advertisement