Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will television survive?

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Good joke.

Im serious. If you cant tell 4k from 1080 you probably have eyesight issues. I would never go back to 1080 again ever since getting a 4k tv. The HDR and detail especially when watching 4k blu rays is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Im serious. If you cant tell 4k from 1080 you probably have eyesight issues. I would never go back to 1080 again ever since getting a 4k tv. The HDR and detail especially when watching 4k blu rays is ridiculous

I remember when HD was becoming a thing there were planks going around the place saying that it was the greatest thing ever in existence and they'd never go back to SD because it was so bad, that they couldn't watch tv in SD now, it was just too horrible. So then like 10 years later, I would remind people about people like this... and how utterly stupid they were to say that. Because even though the difference between SD and HD is a massive shift, it doesn't affect the quality of the viewing. It's not a dealbreaking thing over whether you'll watch/enjoy something or not. So that was like a nice little story I had.

It's just funny to me that you're literally saying the same thing about 4k resolution vs 1080p. Something that is known to have very little difference, that everyone agrees on, that they couldn't even hype it up. I just went to a website earlier saying it's impossible to tell a difference unless you have a huge screen. I'd have never thought I'd see that lol. And not even full 4k, 4k WEB STREAMING quality, that's ridiculous. And "the only people who say otherwise are old lads and people with bad eyesight". Like I say, good joke, well played. The youth of today. Good for a laugh anyway I guess.

I remember when HD was becoming a thing there were planks going around the place saying that it was the greatest thing ever in existence and they'd never go back to SD because it was so bad, that they couldn't watch tv in SD now, it was just too horrible. So then like 10 years later, I would remind people about people like this... and how utterly stupid they were to say that. Because even though the difference between SD and HD is a massive shift, it doesn't affect the quality of the viewing. It's not a dealbreaking thing over whether you'll watch/enjoy something or not. So that was like a nice little story I had.

It's just funny to me that you're literally saying the same thing about 4k resolution vs 1080p. Something that is known to have very little difference, that everyone agrees on, that they couldn't even hype it up. I just went to a website earlier saying it's impossible to tell a difference unless you have a huge screen. I'd have never thought I'd see that lol. And not even full 4k, 4k WEB STREAMING quality, that's ridiculous. And "the only people who say otherwise are old lads and people with bad eyesight". Like I say, good joke, well played. The youth of today. Good for a laugh anyway I guess.

Nope.

There is a clear difference between 4k and 1080p to anybody with a functioning pair of eyes. Diminishing returns talk doesn't even creep into the convo until you start getting around 8k.

It seems to me that youre bitter because your eyesight is failing.

I notice this myself with old people they react with ‘meh’ to 4k but people around my age (20s) have their mind blown.

And no, i watch 4k blu rays because physical media is still the best quality.

But its alright. Keep convincing yourself your 1080p from 2010 is still top of the line. Meanwhile i’m watching dunkirk on 4k HDR on my 55”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 SaifUllah

4k streaming is the same as 4k BluRay ?

SaifUllah wrote: »
    4k streaming is the same as 4k BluRay ?

Not even close but i used 4k netfljx as an example earlier. Though its more for convenience. I buy films in 4k blu ray if i really like them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Nope.

There is a clear difference between 4k and 1080p to anybody with a functioning pair of eyes. Diminishing returns talk doesn't even creep into the convo until you start getting around 8k.

It seems to me that youre bitter because your eyesight is failing.

I notice this myself with old people they react with ‘meh’ to 4k but people around my age (20s) have their mind blown.

And no, i watch 4k blu rays because physical media is still the best quality.

But its alright. Keep convincing yourself your 1080p from 2010 is still top of the line. Meanwhile i’m watching dunkirk on 4k HDR on my 55”

Sounds like you have a really cool TV.

Have you a sound system to match it?

The bigger the TV the worse the sound, I've my 5 year old Tv set up with a b&w 700 series 2 with an Arcam receiver.

Your set up is rubbish without the compliment of a good quality piece of kit to enhance the quality of the sound.

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a really cool TV.

Have you a sound system to match it?

The bigger the TV the worse the sound, I've my 5 year old Tv set up with a b&w 700 series 2 with an Arcam receiver.

Your set up is rubbish without the compliment of a good quality piece of kit to enhance the quality of the sound.

I feel like youre about to sell me a surround sound setup lad

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I feel like youre about to sell me a surround sound setup lad

Lol im old and cant see the tv as well as you young lads..

I was born in the early 70's
    So I started with a tape recorder and a ghetto blaster, then a hi-fi...

So my generation seem to have a penchant for good sound.

If you want a good sound system, go for top shelf.
    I came into money a few yeas ago, so invested in toys I couldn't afford on my measly wage...

Treat yourself when you get a chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My television from back in the early ninties was made of such firm boxy stuff that it could probably survive a Nuclear strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Arghus wrote: »
    My television from back in the early ninties was made of such firm boxy stuff that it could probably survive a Nuclear strike.

My family had one from the 70s/80s that went fine most of the time but you'd have to give it a whack every now and again Onslow-style as the whole screen went green.

My dad said they had another one before that but one day he came to it and found it on fire. They used to make them with wooden casing back then that would catch on fire sometimes, they don't do that no more. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

What are you talking about? I have a 4K TV and the vast majority of shows and films on Netflix and YouTube are either 1080p HD or below. Some great shows from past decades are well below 1080p and many don't even have the same screen ratio as modern TV's.

Plus so much of the 4K TV content on Netflix such as Frontier and Disenchantment is just sh!te. There's not near enough 4K content available at the moment and we are still years off of 4K becoming mainstream.

DS86DS wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I have a 4K TV and the vast majority of shows and films on Netflix and YouTube are either 1080p HD or below. Some great shows from past decades are well below 1080p and many don't even have the same screen ratio as modern TV's.

Plus so much of the 4K TV content on Netflix such as Frontier and Disenchantment is just sh!te. There's not near enough 4K content available at the moment and we are still years off of 4K becoming mainstream.

Did you misquote me? Feel like youre replying to something i never said.

I said 4k tv looks better

You: WTF netflix doesnt have that many 4k shows

???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I couldnt care less if it does. Its full of crap ads, awful reality tv shows I hardly watch it anymore

Advertisement