Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you get on with your Godmother and Father and do they give you presents?

Options
  • 04-08-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

My Godfather was ok. He did give me some presents but I do not think he really fully got me. He his dead about over a decade now do unfortunatly. My Godmother has never really do even do they are quiet well off. I did go on holidays with them when I was a child and stayed over at hers and my younger cousin sometimes but a holiday or a card for a Birthday even now would be nice but is very seldom if ever.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think I knew at some stage who my godparents were, but they were a total non-event in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Well, she died and he then moved on after a few years, met some woman in Canada and I havent seen him since....

so yeah, loads of presents, because i'm 12...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Are you an adult? Just checking as it is hard to tell from your post.

Aren't godparents supposed to pray for you, and be a spiritual mentor or something?

Not at all sure they sign up to give you gifts and bring you on holiday like. Much, (very much) less so as an adult.

Dont know anyone who got special anything from godparents throughout life. Maybe something to do with the fact that nobody took it that seriously as a role? Just another Catholic thing to check a box with as far as I've ever seen. Not too many are concerned with their god niece or nephews' soul or spiritual wellbeing as far as I've ever seen anyway.

Maybe reduce your expectations and it'll help your resentment?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My Godmother and Godfather are my aunt and her husband.
    They always have given money but they were never into giving present mainly because I don't think they'd know where to start. They also don't know when my Birthday really is but they are just a bit dizzy when it comes to things like that.
    They'd be fairly supportive and if I had to talk to them I could.
    They didn't have any kids and would have made great parents.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My godmother is the daughter of good family friends and I last met her at her father’s funeral about three years ago. She is a science teacher and, as a child, she would always get me really thoughtful presents of science and nature books that I really enjoyed. When I was about 6 years of age, she came back from the States with a Texas Instruments Speak & Spell. Very cool at the time! :)

She was only 14 when she became my godmother and is not quite 60 now - and she doesn’t look her age at all. A lovely woman.

My godfather was a former work colleague of my father and gave me generous cash presents for my birthdays until I was about 18. He passed away about 13 years ago. A decent man. Both my godparents were at my confirmation way back in the mists of 1987.

I was lucky in having had godparents who were fond of me. My OH’s godmother is a second cousin and still keeps in touch with him but he last saw his godfather at his confirmation decades ago.

I, in turn, am godfather to my niece who lives abroad. I get her a card and a present each year - she is 16 now and nearly all grown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

AMKC wrote: »
    My Godfather was ok. He did give me some presents but I do not think he really fully got me. He his dead about over a decade now do unfortunatly. My Godmother has never really do even do they are quiet well off. I did go on holidays with them when I was a child and stayed over at hers and my younger cousin sometimes but a holiday or a card for a Birthday even now would be nice but is very seldom if ever.

Christ, I'd barely get acknowledgment from my own family when it's my birthday and certainly don't expect holidays off them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m guessing the OP is drunk. That’s the only explanation that sounds reasonable for that opening post.

Fair play OP :D

My own Godparents were my aunt and uncle, and they were grand, never paid for my holidays either the tightarses.

I’m Godfather to one of my nephews and I will not be paying for his holidays, but we get on great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My godmother is my uncle’s ex-wife. Didn’t see her again after they split up. I was 7ish when that happened. My godfather was pretty generous with gifts as I was growing up. None after my 21st birthday, which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My godmother is great... shes is a cousin on my mums side... only 13 years older than me weirdly but we always exchange gifts.

My godfather is an uncle on my dads side... despite living only about 20 kms away i havent seen him in about 15 years give or take... he is obsessed with his wifes family who are quite well off and he sees his own siblings on average once a year... no interest... nice man to be in his company but hes been a gigantic jackass in terms of how he treats my own Dad and my aunts... he could drop dead tonight and id feel bad for my Dad but not two fùcks could i give about him or his lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

What's this blg deal about godparents anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

My godmother was a right old fairy.
    Pumpkins pumpkins.... Something something something....

My Godfather... From the old country. Couldn't refuse a request on his daughters wedding day.

Well I'm off to the mattresses....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have no idea who they are. my mother doesn't remember who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Tork wrote: »
    What's this blg deal about godparents anyway?

load of rubbish.

Advertisement