Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most annoying things abut supermarkets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Women of all ages at tills.

That look of surprise when asked to pay.

The 2 minute root in handbag for purse. Looking for exact change when she has a €50 note. Not finding it. Paying with €50 note.

Remembering an item she forgot/voucher she has/item to return. Cashier has to call a supervisor to open till...

This happens CONSTANTLY in my local Aldi. I'll join a queue of 10 men before one of 3 women!

Got stuck behind one who decided to pay in Lotto tickets,

The other people.

The greatest annoyance about any place is always other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The constant moving things around really annoys me, though to be fair Aldi and lidl are less guilty of that behavior.

Although they are guilty of stopping carrying items with no notice, which is equally irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

bobbyss wrote: »
    The French Log Experience

Buy a French Log. The long bag it is in is always shorter than the actual length of the bread itself. The end sticks out. Waiting for it to slide out and fall to the floor. This probably happens just as you are at he checkout. During Covid some places had the bag made bigger so that all of the log was covered. No touching.

But by and large it is back to normal now because we all want to buy bread that other people have handled.

I used to blow a fuse when I was in a queue and the cashier left his/her station to do something. Maybe get a bar code sorted. However I have got over that. Not his or her fault. Could be me that they have to leave their station.

But that French log.

I had a French log when I went to Paris last year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I normally check the section of reduced items that are out of date at the end of the day. You get bargains sometimes especially on meat I can just freeze and use at a later date.

Anyways the amount of auld ones who huddle around the area checking every single thing talking to each other while blocking anyone else from actually getting something is a pain in the hole!

I also hate it when you're at the self-services checkouts and one of the staff with nothing better to do can't wait to grab the bloody basket right from under you to put it back. Ffs I'll bring it back myself I always do I'm not gonna leave it there or God forbid bring it home ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Local MediocreValu is absolutely rubbish at keeping stock on shelves.

Spot something on offer in Lidl or Aldi, it's sold out. Forced to buy something, anything in order to get out of the place.

The manic race between scanning and packing at Lidl/Aldi.

In contrast at other supermarkets, the fúcking hold ups, nattering about weather and Mary down the road, fcuking around with loyalty cards, cash, lotto tickets.
    Input pin, wrong pin. Wrong card etc...
    Smokers. Another additional delay farting around getting fags from the anonymous cupboard that they're stored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Most annoying thing about supermarkets for me is those little barstard kids trollies, ya know the type, mammy wandering around everywhere and her 3 little angles each have one of these ankle slammers and are running riot.

These contraptions led me to one of the most embarrassing moments for me in recent times, went into our local Supervalu and there's a largish foyer, to the right is way in, to the left is people coming out, so i go in with wit my wife and i'm pushing the trolley, stadning right in the doorway is a little kid, maybe 5/6 years old with one of these trolleys, not budging, his dad just standing 5ft inside the doorway looking at him smiling.

After 30 seconds of this kid not budging and a few people starting to queue behind me i shout out "Ah come on, will ya get out of the way""""

He turns around and looks at me with his little down syndrome head :(:(:(

The mutterings from ladies behind me, the second he turned around my wife legged it, found her by the bread breaking her shite laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

****in love this. It irks me no end when **** fanny about chatting to the till person.

Pack your ****, pay quickly and leave. Particularly in covid times. Just move on ffs. No one wants to hear your stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

****in love this. It irks me no end when **** fanny about chatting to the till person.

Pack your ****, pay quickly and leave. Particularly in covid times. Just move on ffs. No one wants to hear your stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

GT89 wrote: »
    The type of people who complain about pallets, cages and likes blocking aisle would also be the first to complain if stock levels are poor. They are nessecary in order to ensure YOU the customer has a wide range of products to choose from. I will normally try my best to keep pallets and cages out of the way of customers but sometimes it's unavoidable

As a staff member in one of these establishments the thing that annoys me the most is customers who seem to be of the impression that there is a massive warehouse out the back with all the stock they could possibly want what is on the shelves is what we have. Why would any business keep stock in out of reach of customers.

Of course shelves have to be packed to ensure stock levels but I don't think it's right to block off an entire aisle to do so or have more than one cage and pallet on an aisle at a time?
    A bit more management and planning would just help for all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course shelves have to be packed to ensure stock levels but I don't think it's right to block off an entire aisle to do so or have more than one cage and pallet on an aisle at a time?
    A bit more management and planning would just help for all.

Well I can't speak for whichever supermarket you go to but I have never more than one cage/trolley or pallet on an aisle at any one time. If ever this was the case would be late at night when there are less customers in the shop and in order to het the shop packed for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

The point is not to pack at the Aldi/Lidl tills.
    You Are suppose to stick your stuff back in the trolley/basket after scanning and then go pack at the big ledge against the window at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The type of people who complain about pallets, cages and likes blocking aisle would also be the first to complain if stock levels are poor. They are nessecary in order to ensure YOU the customer has a wide range of products to choose from. I will normally try my best to keep pallets and cages out of the way of customers but sometimes it's unavoidable

As a staff member in one of these establishments the thing that annoys me the most is customers who seem to be of the impression that there is a massive warehouse out the back with all the stock they could possibly want what is on the shelves is what we have. Why would any business keep stock in out of reach of customers.

Why don't they load the fcukin shelves when the supermarket is CLOSED ...?

seamusk84 wrote: »
    You Are suppose to stick your stuff back in the trolley/basket after scanning and then go pack at the big ledge against the window at your leisure.

That's only for the Germans luv......they like logic and efficiency.

Pat likes to pack at the till and keep everybody waiting...wha ?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Ignorant staff of which there are many with a chip on their shoulder & shops which omit to have price or as is a common practice deliberately place the offer price in front of the wrong product.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The main thing that annoys me about supermarket shopping is poor dates and bad looking meat, fish, fresh food on the shelves. I've no idea how people just pick up a packet of discoloured meat and throws it in the trolley without looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

seamusk84 wrote: »

Oh **** that.

The fcukin beuers that pack everything carefully into six different bags on their trolley so that THEY can save time unpacking at home ...and hold up the rest of us in the line while they do this...

Grrr.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Ignorant staff of which there are many with a chip on their shoulder & shops which omit to have price or as is a common practice deliberately place the offer price in front of the wrong product.[/QUOTE]

Happens in some Tescos a lot.

My local Tesco not too bad but was going to the tills in Tesco Maynooth the other day and had 3/4 products that I wasn't sure if they were part of a deal or not.

Surely a manager should be going around checking for this or maybe it is deliberate.

I will leave the product if the price is not what I expected. Pain in the hole if it something you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Oh **** that.

I will roughly pack and sort out a few things on the ledge. No harm thinking of others and being efficient in keeping things moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I can't speak for whichever supermarket you go to but I have never more than one cage/trolley or pallet on an aisle at any one time. If ever this was the case would be late at night when there are less customers in the shop and in order to het the shop packed for the next day.

I've experienced that in Tesco, Supervalu & Lidl on several occasions.

Happened to me in Tesco on Thursday at about 5pm so I wouldn't call that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

The main thing that annoys me about supermarket shopping is poor dates and bad looking meat, fish, fresh food on the shelves. I've no idea how people just pick up a packet of discoloured meat and throws it in the trolley without looking at it.

I bet you squeeze both ends of the sliced pan! LOL

Aul ones in my local shop squeeze everything; bread, rolls, cakes, fruit. Big dirty finger dents in everything by the time they go back to the first one they picked up and take that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,770 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When the customer in front of you realizes that they have forgotten something, leaves the till, disappears for 2 mins, leaving everyone standing , comes back laughing with an extra box of Cadbury’s mini rolls which are on special. Then when it’s time to pay, they can find the money but no sign of the club card, they look up at the ceiling like if they stare up there long enough it’s just going to start raining their clubcard down to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Th only way out in Aldi and Lidl is through the checkouts, so people who don't buy anything have to come out past the queue, mostly they are polite and get your attention from behind so you can let them by. But now and then you get an ignorant caveman/woman who barges through without warning and clatters you out of their way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Be right back

When you see a worker offering free food samples, only to realise it is something I wouldn't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

The way you can never find the eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

The way you can never find the eggs.

There's a science to that now. You have to look down every aisle to find them and then there they are... beside the toothbrushes:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Strumms wrote: »
    When the customer in front of you realizes that they have forgotten something, leaves the till, disappears for 2 mins, leaving everyone standing , comes back laughing with an extra box of Cadbury’s mini rolls which are on special.

I put one woman's stuff back in her basket when she did that for the second time in the queue. First time she raced to get into the queue, unloaded her 4 or 5 items and then disappeared for a couple of minutes and came back with some fruit. Then she headed off again and I just packed her items back into a basket and left it to one side and moved up the line.

She wasn't pleased when she got back a few minutes later with a couple of bottles of wine and about 5 people now ahead of her in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Baguette.

Never heard it called a French log.

About to pray to you to give the thread a bit of insight, never fails......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The "music"

Advertisement