Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rutland branded tools: 2200 watt router

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will be looking for another router in five years :D Save up and buy a Makita.
    Incidentally the website is priced in $ and the prices are vat exempt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

I wouldn't be expecting much from a €100 1/2 router. I'm sure it would be fine for occasional use and basic cuts, but if you are planning on using large profile bits or other heavy cuts on hardwood etc I'd look at increasing the budget.

Will you be using it in a table also ?

I had a quick look for reviews online but didn't see anything.

Trend have a very good reputation. This looks like a nice lower price router. I don't have any experience of it myself, but you should be able to find reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

recipio wrote: »
    Incidentally the website is priced in $ and the prices are vat exempt ?

It's just a dropdown selection at the top mid/right for the currency, so I guess yours defaulted to US :)

Rutlands are based in the UK (Derbyshire), so it's subject to VAT - €109.99 inc. vat for that router when euro is selected.

+1 for the advice to wait and save a bit more if it's going to get more than casual DIY use.

It's just a dropdown selection at the top mid/right for the currency, so I guess yours defaulted to US :)

Rutlands are based in the UK (Derbyshire), so it's subject to VAT - €109.99 inc. vat for that router when euro is selected.

+1 for the advice to wait and save a bit more if it's going to get more than casual DIY use.

These offers are always tempting but of all power tools a router has to be well built. I once bought a Trend T4 at the end of an exhibition in the UK . If I put any bit over 20mm diameter into it , it vibrates so much I can't hold it.I also had a Ryobi in a router table which simply burnt out with fairly light use. Have a look at the Makita RB230 which is three times the price but smooth as butter and with a soft start - and will last a lifetime. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

recipio wrote: »
    These offers are always tempting but of all power tools a router has to be well built. I once bought a Trend T4 at the end of an exhibition in the UK . If I put any bit over 20mm diameter into it , it vibrates so much I can't hold it.I also had a Ryobi in a router table which simply burnt out with fairly light use. Have a look at the Makita RB230 which is three times the price but smooth as butter and with a soft start - and will last a lifetime. ;)

Did you mean to quote me above? - I was agreeing with you!

I've heard that Trend quality has gone down over the last few years too. Come to think of it, I think Peter Millard (Mr Festool!) mentioned that one one of his videos, after a viewer asked about a Trend router visible in the background.

I've bought several things from Rutlands with good results by the way but you've got to be really, really, really careful - a lot of the jigs etc, are just "sticker" branded versions of a tool already available directly from China on Aliexpress/Banggood.

Here's a good example; same jig - very different prices:

Rutlands, 55 euro:
    - https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-tool-accessories-dowel-jigs-dowel-jigs-premium-aluminium-self-centering-dowel-jig-rutlands+r6003

Banggood, 35 euro (currently)
    - https://www.banggood.com/Drillpro-Self-Centering-Dowelling-Jig-Metric-Dowel-6-or-8-or-10mm-Punch-Locator-Drilling-Tools-for-Woodworking-p-1052856.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN
    - The price goes up and down loads with various promos etc, I don't think I paid as much as 35 for mine when I bought it from Banggood.

In use: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5cwWPdnzFu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks guys, as always, for the insightful contributions from the battlefield as opposed to the couch!

I did buy some big G cramps from them which are fine for I want them for but I did think the quality left a lot to be desired.
    I have never bought anything electrical from them..

Case closed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

A lot of marketing goes into selling tools. There must be a 'Trend' display case in every hardware shop in Ireland with wallet sapping prices. Their router bits are well made but almost certainly in China or Taiwan
    Rutlands are good at marketing but do your research first. I bought about a dozen 'Dakota' sash clamps off them but they are useless - they refuse to actually engage the bar. The internet is full of complaints about this.
    Now I research every purchase and if I have to buy a premium brand I budget for it. Its a bit of a cliche but 'Quality remains long after the price is forgotten' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The problem is your comparing roles Royce to a dacia . The festool is 10 times the price but it's a industrial machine that will last.

Those lower end routers are crap at best. DIY level and for very occasional use. 8nwouldnt consider a router outside of the proper brands and would try to buy from the higher end only

Advertisement