Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 31/7 (Cheeseman - Eggington, Arthur - Spelman, Rungvisai etc)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, he went to a catholic school in West Belfast, so I assume he considers himself Irish. He doesn't seem to outwardly support either side though.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/boxing/james-tennyson-vs-tevin-farmer-15305916

Yes. Heard he was Catholic alright. Just wondered..

Surname quite anglicised. One would probably think he was of English/British stock..but not always the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone know how Tennyson identifies?

Born in Belfast I believe. Is he like Conlan, and identifies as Irish, or Frampton, as British?

Btw, I don’t care either way. I was just wondering. All just boxers to me.

Funny, but I don't ever remember Carl Frampton identifying himself as British.
    Or identifying himself as anything other than a boxer.

You obviously have a link just waiting for someone to bite???

megadodge wrote: »
    Funny, but I don't ever remember Carl Frampton identifying himself as British.
    Or identifying himself as anything other than a boxer.

You obviously have a link just waiting for someone to bite???

Bite what?

Just an observation..

Frampton I think does identify as British...albeit with great connection and admiration for Ireland.

MC as Irish. I was simply wondering about Tennyson..

Nope, Frampton has been very smart about not getting involved in that nonsense, so I'm pretty certain he has never "identified" himself as anything other than a boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Bite what?

Just an observation..

Frampton I think does identify as British...albeit with great connection and admiration for Ireland.

MC as Irish. I was simply wondering about Tennyson..

I've never seen Frampton Identify himself as British.
    Yes he supports Rangers and Northern Ireland but also has been seen wearing GAA Jerseys and has married a Catholic Girl.

Smart Guy, he has kept away from that nonsense.

• Advertisement

I've never seen Frampton Identify himself as British.
    Yes he supports Rangers and Northern Ireland but also has been seen wearing GAA Jerseys and has married a Catholic Girl.

Smart Guy, he has kept away from that nonsense.

It’s not nonsense, though.

I am not saying he is jumping up and down letting people know his nationality..

He is Norhern Ireland, and to him, Northern Ireland is British.

But doesn’t every person identify a nationality/allegiance? Surely he is something? If you asked him are you Irish or British...

I identify as Irish...

English people identify as English, and so on.

Carl is British. And that is absolutely fine. I don’t see any nonsense here, and I am not bringing it up in the whole Ireland- Britain context...

Anyway, I wanted to know about Tennyson, and I think I found out that he is an Irish Catholic..

I suppose it’s a consideration when considering nationality of boxers. I personally support Carl in his fights, but I don’t consider him an Irish fighter, like I’d consider say, Jono or Eric Donovan, or Conlan...those three are Irish, and would identify as such. Carl be more British-Irish!

You really are bored at the moment, aren't you?

megadodge wrote: »
    You really are bored at the moment, aren't you?

Poxy lockdown withdrawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

It’s not nonsense, though.

I am not saying he is jumping up and down letting people know his nationality..

He is Norhern Ireland, and to him, Northern Ireland is British.

But doesn’t every person identify a nationality/allegiance? Surely he is something? If you asked him are you Irish or British...

I identify as Irish...

English people identify as English, and so on.

Carl is British. And that is absolutely fine. I don’t see any nonsense here, and I am not bringing it up in the whole Ireland- Britain context...

Anyway, I wanted to know about Tennyson, and I think I found out that he is an Irish Catholic..

I suppose it’s a consideration when considering nationality of boxers. I personally support Carl in his fights, but I don’t consider him an Irish fighter, like I’d consider say, Jono or Eric Donovan, or Conlan...those three are Irish, and would identify as such. Carl be more British-Irish!

I'd Imagine He'd tell you he is Northern Irish.

If pushed, both British and Irish.

I'd Imagine He'd tell you he is Northern Irish.

If pushed, both British and Irish.

Yes. British-Irish sounds about right to me..I recall him referencing being Northern Ireland..

I don’t see the discussion needing to be tense or awkward....Not saying you think it is or should be...

Just people and nationality. We all identify with some country-region..

I remember John Duddy, the boxer from the North strictly identifying as Irish, as is the right of people born up North to be able to do. He had issues with Boxrec and its description for him as British...

They can identify as Irish, British or both...

Conlan I am sure would fully identify as Irish...I doubt he, like republicans/nationalists recognizes Northern Ireland as a country..

It’s just a discussion, I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Carl identifies himself as Irish when he talks about being Ireland's first 3 weight World Champion! But as said he doesnt get tied with that. Smart guy.

Anyone who was at the Santa Cruz glorious win will tell you there were people from all over the island there to support him. Plus everybody was welcome to drink with the Champ next day!!

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Carl identifies himself as Irish when he talks about being Ireland's first 3 weight World Champion! But as said he doesnt get tied with that. Smart guy.

Anyone who was at the Santa Cruz glorious win will tell you there were people from all over the island there to support him. Plus everybody was welcome to drink with the Champ next day!!

Sounds right..

I have said before, that he is a credit to both "sides" in the North.

I just personally consider him more British than Irish...And I think he feels British, but of course, has a lot of ties and affection for his Irishness, and association with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

SHOVELLER wrote: »

He'd also happily be included in any conversation for best British boxers over the past few years.

There's no real black and white to this. He identifies as British, Irish and Northern Irish.

I've always found it to be a great shame how little coverage he gets in the republic. Virtual unknown to the casual sports fan despite being one of the most successful sports people to come from the island.

Morrison J wrote: »
    He'd also happily be included in any conversation for best British boxers over the past few years.

There's no real black and white to this. He identifies as British, Irish and Northern Irish.

I've always found it to be a great shame how little coverage he gets in the republic. Virtual unknown to the casual sports fan despite being one of the most successful sports people to come from the island.

Yes, can agree here.

And it's nice to be able to discuss these issues/queries etc without any saltiness, hostility, defensiveness that usually is thrown into the mix....

It's just people, nationalities, ties, culture etc....it encompasses all of us.

Advertisement