Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekends Boxing 31/7 (Cheeseman - Eggington, Arthur - Spelman, Rungvisai etc)

• 31-07-2020 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭

First weekend in a long time that there's a slate to be half excited for.

BT card tonight might have the main event that's most competitive. Don't think Arthur deals with pressure too well so definitely think Spelman is a live underdog. Just think Arthur more than likely catches Spelman coming in at some point. Caoimhin Agyarko on the undercard too.

Rungvisai back fighting on Matchroom YouTube channel Saturday morning too against Amnat Ruenroeng. Ruenroeng well past his best so would expect Rungvisai to find a KO there.

Saturday night first matchroom fight camp show. Some decent competitive fights on it. Like Gill to beat Bellotti but do think Gill is a tad fragile and Bellotti while limited, can bang so no foregone conclusion. Think Cheeseman should beat Eggington handy enough. Levels between them and would expect Cheeseman to box more like he did against Fitzgerald. James Tennyson easily the most entertaining Irish boxer around today imo fighting Gavin Gwynne. Like Tennyson to stop him in the second half of the fight. Tennyson looking really good since his move to lightweight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Good performance by Arthur there. Spelman gave it a great to but Arthur had all the answers.

Arthur v Yarde next now apparently. Would fancy Yarde but definitely a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It's an excellent card tonight.
    None of them are really 50/50, but the main 3 have the potential to be competitive, which is a lot better than we normally get from British domestic cards.

Even the Wardley vs Vallily fight (which I don't expect to be competitive at all), Vallily is at least deserving of being in an English title fight, even if he is likely to get blown away by Wardley.

Gill should have too much for Bellotti, but as mentioned Bellotti can crack, so there is some danger.
    Cheeseman should have too much for Eggington, who seemed completely washed up/finished despite his young age, until pulling off that excellent win over in Italy last year. However that does show at the very least Egginton can still punch, and Cheeseman isn't the hardest to find, so there is some threat.

Lastly I think the Tennsyon fight will be a cracker.
    James is always in exciting fights, and he's in a tough one here with a guy who will be happy to get involved in a tear up with him. Gwynne punches harder than his record and digs the body well (which is a weakness of Tennyson's), so I expect this one will go one way, then the next until Tennsyon's power sees him through.....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Card starts 9.30 on Sky?

Is this right? Tennyson fight on what time?

My mistake. On now.

walshb wrote: »
    Card starts 9.30 on Sky?

Is this right? Tennyson fight on what time?

My mistake. On now.

Started at 7.

Decent win for Gill but about what you'd expect. Still think once he moves up a level or two we'll see him struggle again mind.

Nice owl gaff Eddie has!!! Birra space in the back garden n all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭megadodge

That Dalton Smith looks quite tasty. I'll be keeping an eye out for him.
    Nice all-rounder.

Dalton has the right moves and is technically and fundamentally solid..

The shot looked like it caught Bennett side head/ear..

Hopefully Tennyson makes a big statement here. Looked good since his move up to lightweight. Hopefully lost some of that fragility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Morrison J wrote: »
    Hopefully Tennyson makes a big statement here. Looked good since his move up to lightweight. Hopefully lost some of that fragility.

I have the tko/ko on for him and cheeseman

Great fight. Both landing consistently.

Tennyson too in love with his power..loading up a bit too much.

• Advertisement

One for one.

Come on Cheeeman. Make it happen

Well done Tennyson.

He's always a fighter you have to watch. Perfect description of 'All-action'.

Tennyson too in love with his power..loading up a bit too much.

He has a tendency to do that, but when he hits as hard as he does it's difficult not to be of that mindset.
    His power really is what differentiates him from the other guys fighting at this level.

Gone Cheeseman points myself but a late stoppage wouldn't surprise me.

Great win for Tennyson. His power has translated to lightweight really well.

Tennyson - Linares would actually be interesting given how fragile Linares is these days.

Gone Cheeseman points myself but a late stoppage wouldn't surprise me.

Great win for Tennyson. His power has translated to lightweight really well.

Was 5/1 for the double. Couldn’t ignore it. You could be right one points for Cheeseman though. Hopefully not!

Maybe I'm deluded, but I give Eggington quite a decent chance here.

I really think it's 50/50 and it's almost certainly going to be all-action.

I always like listening to Johnny Nelson talking about the Wincobank gym made famous by the great Brendan Ingle.

Tennyson - Linares would actually be interesting given how fragile Linares is these days.

Linares is fragile...

But unless Tennyson scores KO, I see Linares going through him easily.. too sharp, and hits hard enough to hurt Tennyson.

Linares up at 140 though.

Edit. Still making 135

Linares is fragile...

But unless Tennyson scores KO, I see Linares going through him easily.. too sharp, and hits hard enough to hurt Tennyson.

Linares up at 140 though.

Edit. Still making 135
    Linares probably too sharp for him alright but if Tennyson survived the early rounds I could see him having a chance of grinding him down. Think Linares is looking at going back down to 135 for a payday. Was talk of Ryan Garcia or Devin Haney fighting him.

• Advertisement

Eggington getting the fight he wanted but Cheeseman still has too much for him in a firefight.

Very good, enjoyable fight.

Could go either way.

116-112 Cheeseman imo but plenty of close rounds. Surprised by how Cheeseman fought tbh but fair play to Eggington.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Enjoyable fight tbf but can’t see Cheeseman going any further than this level in boxing, has such an awful defense.

There was two rounds Eggington was winning, where he stood in the pocket too long, got hurt and most probably those rounds went to Cheeseman.

If that was the case, it ended up being the deciding factor on the scorecard. Eggington could have used his jab a bit more earlier, he caused Cheeseman big problems with it.
    I really can't see Cheeseman going past British level, and if he continues to eat shots like that you'd wonder how long his career will be.

Eggington might get a rematch, but his own career likely doesn't have much left in it either. He won't surpass his earlier achievements, and unless he can continue getting fights that give decent paydays I'd assume he'll call it quits.

I really feel that's a fight whose ranking will suffer due to the lack of a crowd. Imagine the noise and excitement if there were a few thousand watching.

There wasn't massive shifts in drama, but just good honest-to-God action.

Big Ears wrote: »
    There was two rounds Eggington was winning, where he stood in the pocket too long, got hurt and most probably those rounds went to Cheeseman.

If that was the case, it ended up being the deciding factor on the scorecard. Eggington could have used his jab a bit more earlier, he caused Cheeseman big problems with it.
    I really can't see Cheeseman going past British level, and if he continues to eat shots like that you'd wonder how long his career will be.

Eggington might get a rematch, but his own career likely doesn't have much left in it either. He won't surpass his earlier achievements, and unless he can continue getting fights that give decent paydays I'd assume he'll call it quits.

I'd be surprised if Eggington quit. He just seems to enjoy fighting so much. He could be around for a long time yet..... possibly getting a few beatings before deciding to retire.

Johner wrote: »
    Enjoyable fight tbf but can’t see Cheeseman going any further than this level in boxing, has such an awful defense.

Spot on.

Both are very basic. Domestic level really.

Anyone know how Tennyson identifies?

Born in Belfast I believe. Is he like Conlan, and identifies as Irish, or Frampton, as British?

Btw, I don’t care either way. I was just wondering. All just boxers to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Anyone know how Tennyson identifies?

Born in Belfast I believe. Is he like Conlan, and identifies as Irish, or Frampton, as British?

Btw, I don’t care either way. I was just wondering. All just boxers to me.

Well, he went to a catholic school in West Belfast, so I assume he considers himself Irish. He doesn't seem to outwardly support either side though.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/boxing/james-tennyson-vs-tevin-farmer-15305916

Advertisement