Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 8th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. Saturday 19th September 2020

• 25-07-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

This has been a very non-standard year but we are planning on going ahead with the this year's beer mile, although with social distancing in place. As with last year, this year's event will be on a Saturday.

Date: 5:30 pm, Saturday 19th September 2020

Rules:
    Rules (below) will be the same as before. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile.com

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap..
    Must be at least 5 % ABV.
    Puking means a penalty lap.
    You must be over 18.
    You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.
    Fancy dress is permitted.
    Competitors must remain clothed during the event
    Competitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

12 oz beers are hard to find in Ireland, so make sure to buy some in advance. This is a nonsense American measure, but it’s part of the official rules so make sure to find some.

Same as last year there will be both the men’s and women’s categories. I haven't bought medals yet but I plan to. And whoever gets the fastest time will win the severely coveted Irish National Beer Mile Trophy!

If you're interested in coming either PM me or add yourself to the facebook event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/290381162048460

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What's the metric equivalent?

And don't say 1609.344m...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

355ml I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

Is it the regular location? I heard a rumour about a change of venue this year to walkinstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

simonw wrote: »
    Is it the regular location? I heard a rumour about a change of venue this year to walkinstown?

I think it's staying put in National Beer Mile Stadium. More Covid friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DrDrankEngine

simonw wrote: »

I would have preferred to give more notice on this, but yeah the rumors are correct.

After a fair bit of deliberation we've decided to change the venue this year from Kilbogget to Bunting Park in Walkinstown. The time remains the same though: 5:30pm on Saturday the 19th of September.

The plan is to return to the Beer Mile National Stadium next year when things have (hopefully) returned to normal.

We're going to also have to be very conscious to maintain social distance wherever possible. I still have no doubt that this year's Beer Mile will be every bit as competitive and heroic as any other year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I would have preferred to give more notice on this, but yeah the rumors are correct.

After a fair bit of deliberation we've decided to change the venue this year from Kilbogget to Bunting Park in Walkinstown. The time remains the same though: 5:30pm on Saturday the 19th of September.

The plan is to return to the Beer Mile National Stadium next year when things have (hopefully) returned to normal.

We're going to also have to be very conscious to maintain social distance wherever possible. I still have no doubt that this year's Beer Mile will be every bit as competitive and heroic as any other year :D

Interesting. What is it about this new venue that makes it more suitable exactly, or is it just handy for the organisers and their mates? :puzzled:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Interesting. What is it about this new venue that makes it more suitable exactly, or is it just handy for the organisers and their mates? :puzzled:

I'm living in Cork also I guess it is technically closer for me :-P

Mainly it's roughly 1/3 of the distance from the city centre compared to Kilbogget (5km compared to 14km). This means there's way more options of how to get there, for example cycling, running or walking, which makes a big difference when the government recommendation is to avoid public transport.

It'll be great to see you on Saturday and I'm sorry if this change increased your journey time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's a 300m track is it not? Not sure how that will work with a beer mile. Each beer will be at a different point on the track.

EDIT: Actually 200m so not too bad I guess.

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's a 300m track is it not? Not sure how that will work with a beer mile. Each beer will be at a different point on the track.

EDIT: Actually 200m so not too bad I guess.

Yeah exactly, 200m so 2 laps per beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I was passing today so had a look at this year's national beer mile stadium.

It's excellent, a 200m track is much better for seeing the action, there's plenty of grass in the middle and around the outside for socially distant spectating.

What's a good beer choice?

On my only previous outing I used cans of Blue Moon but as I actually like that beer I think I'd prefer to waste 4 cans of something else.

thanks,
    Peter

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    I was passing today so had a look at this year's national beer mile stadium.

It's excellent, a 200m track is much better for seeing the action, there's plenty of grass in the middle and around the outside for socially distant spectating.

What's a good beer choice?

On my only previous outing I used cans of Blue Moon but as I actually like that beer I think I'd prefer to waste 4 cans of something else.

thanks,
    Peter

Just picked up some Sierra Nevada there this morning! Looking forward to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Just picked up some Sierra Nevada there this morning! Looking forward to this :D

Respect to anyone doing this, at my age 4 cans and I’d be bladdering incoherently and my bladder would have me up all night :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Respect to anyone doing this, at my age 4 cans and I’d be bladdering incoherently and my bladder would have me up all night :)

TbL

How is that different from your usual self?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

TbL

Go way ya weakling. I did a Beer Mile a couple of years ago, age 53 and didn't I take home the Silver medal.

Now, the field was shallow (!) even for Luxoland and the beers were 33cl but it can be done. Thinking about it now, I wonder would those extra few mls x4 have tipped me over the edge. There was some frothing happening at times. Not a million miles from spewing I'd say.

How is that different from your usual self?

True. But I’ve also seen you cross the finish line after a couple of Ultras, pretty it wasn’t...:)

TbL

Itziger wrote: »
    Go way ya weakling. I did a Beer Mile a couple of years ago, age 53 and didn't I take home the Silver medal.

Now, the field was shallow (!) even for Luxoland and the beers were 33cl but it can be done. Thinking about it now, I wonder would those extra few mls x4 have tipped me over the edge. There was some frothing happening at times. Not a million miles from spewing I'd say.

Pops, are you sure that wasn’t the virtual medicated OAP toilet run :)

TbL

I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone, but following Mícheal's announcement there

TOMORROW'S BEER MILE IS NOW POSTPONED

Sorry to all the contenders, participants and scorekeepers

Just created the discussion page for this year's beer mile:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058308559

Hopefully most of you can make it! It's almost like a reunion now that it's been so long since the last one!

Advertisement