Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns in Dublin outskirts with easy public transport to city center.

• 10-07-2020 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Im looking to move. I work in city center. Any good areas in the outskirts of Dublin / commuter towns, that have easy public transport to city center? I used to live in Holywell, Swords, and Swords Express was very handy to get into town 15-25 minutes. Id say faster, than from ballymun. Do you have any other suggestions? About 30-40 minutes max. Can you give me approx time and ticket cost? I start in town 10am and finish 7pm, so not peak time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

Good luck. Your main problem will be finding someplace decent to live. Transport, while bad, will be a secondary concern. One big thing in your favour though will be that you don't have to start work until 10AM, so the peak usage periods for the commuter, DART and Luas will have passed or at least tapered off. I suggest that you look to which city centre train/luas station is closest to your work (Heuston, Pearse, Connolly, Stephens Green, O'Connell St. and work back/out from there along its line to a commuter belt area. Swords, as you suggested, might still be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Im on HAP and have to move fast, so anywhere will suit. On daft.ie i have whole co dublin in search, but i could add some nearby county places, i just havent researched, which ones are handy, thats why im
    asking here.
    SeanW wrote: »
    Good luck. Your main problem will be finding someplace decent to live. Transport, while bad, will be a secondary concern. One big thing in your favour though will be that you don't have to start work until 10AM, so the peak usage periods for the commuter, DART and Luas will have passed or at least tapered off. I suggest that you look to which city centre train/luas station is closest to your work (Heuston, Pearse, Connolly, Stephens Green, O'Connell St. and work back/out from there along its line to a commuter belt area. Swords, as you suggested, might still be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Im on HAP and have to move fast, so anywhere will suit. On daft.ie i have whole co dublin in search, but i could add some nearby county places, i just havent researched, which ones are handy, thats why im
    asking here.

Maynooth, Celbridge and Leixlip are all doable for locations outside Dublin - but as previous poster advised check and see what routes go past or close enough to where you work - like would you get something on DART line and say get off at Tara Street if you worked up at St Patricks Cathedral - thats a good half hour walk once you get off DART - or would you rather something with max 10 - 15 mins walk from you get off until you get to where you work

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I work near oconnel bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

OK so you are pretty central then. If you got something on DART line you get off at Tara or Connolly and not too far to walk. Buses from both North and South side would stop along O Connell St, College Green, Dame St so again all close walking distance.
    Have you any preference as to whether you live north side or south side? or even outside Dublin in the places i mentioned in previous post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

It will be difficult to get into City centre from outside of county Dublin in that time. Travelling off-peak, maybe Lexilip or Bray could be an option for you, you'd be just over the 40 minutes mark I'd say on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I suggest that you look to which city centre train/luas station is closest to your work (Heuston, Pearse, Connolly, Stephens Green, O'Connell St. and work back/out from there along its line to a commuter belt area. Swords, as you suggested, might still be an option.
    Swords isn't on any rail line.

Swords isn't on any rail line.
    The OP said they'd previously used the Swords Express bus. That might be an option for them again.

As a general rule, I'd suggest if possible avoid having to cross the Liffey river. That can add half an hour each way each day to your daily commute, buses often use College Green on North-South journeys and that is a mess, ditto for the Green line Luas, also I've seen DARTs tend to be very crowded along the loop line. I'd generally suggest finding a place on the Northside with good transport links to O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

asking here.

Whats your rental budget and are you after a house share or your own place? Because that will dictate where you afford to live and then posters can give suitable suggestions on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The OP said they'd previously used the Swords Express bus. That might be an option for them again...
    Apologies - I took you up wrongly. I thought you suggested that Swords would be an option when looking up train/Luas stations close to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Skerries has train and Rush has the 33X, Lusk has the pricer Fingal Express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Dunboyne, train direct into Docklands

OP says they're working near O'Connell St. so going out to the Docklands to double back on foot or by the Luas will add some time to their commute.

OP says they're working near O'Connell St. so going out to the Docklands to double back on foot or by the Luas will add some time to their commute.

Docklands to O'Connell St is max a 20 min walk. Buy an electric scooter and maybe 5 mins

That 20 minutes does not include the time spent passing by the city centre to get to the Docklands. It just covers the time spent "doubling back". Far better if you can get to OCS directly, e.g. by train to Tara St, Luas or some kind of express bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Skerries has train and Rush has the 33X, Lusk has the pricer Fingal Express

Forget those olaces - Far too far out and at least an hour if not much longer commute.

Whats your budget OP and why are you moving? Can you get extend or get another rental in your area? Swords no doubt has lots of rentals and amenities and options for different busses.

There is a huge amount of new building going on near Clarehall - lots of new appartments - new pub reopened across from it and cafe/some shops as well as Tesco Clarehall /Eddies etc. About 20 minutes closer to town than Holywell.

It all depends on what you are looking for?
    Fairview /Eastwall is rough enough but you could walk in lnto town from there & have all the retail and pubs aNd clubs at your fingertips - not much fresh air or open spaces thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anything on the DART or Maynooth line would be decent enough for you.

That 20 minutes does not include the time spent passing by the city centre to get to the Docklands. It just covers the time spent "doubling back". Far better if you can get to OCS directly, e.g. by train to Tara St, Luas or some kind of express bus.

Its just an option.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Forget those olaces - Far too far out and at least an hour if not much longer commute.

Skerries to Tara st is showing 36-43 min train times
    The last times I got the Fingal Express at ten past 8, in Lusk, I was at my desk on d'Olier st at ten to nine.

Maybe Just has personal experiences that differ... or maybe she doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭paul71

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Anything on the DART or Maynooth line would be decent enough for you.

Wouldn't there be a problem with HAP in a different county council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 doyled4

Ashtown is very well served with transport to the city. Many buses and also a train service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sallins

Short hop zone, plenty of trains, reasonable rents.

Assuming the bus shows up on time, Drogheda - Dublin is achievable in 45 or so minutes on the M1. Matthew's Coaches drop to Parnell Street.

Could be worth considering.

Advertisement