Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outdoor garden bench - enthusiastic beginner!

• 11-06-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Going to give a shot at making the following outdoor bench :
    https://myoutdoorplans.com/furniture/free-outdoor-bench-plans/

Would anyone have a link to the best screws i can buy for this project?

Looking for any tips or advice from the experts on here to help me out. Hoping to get it done ASAP as a present......
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Something like these should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: edit the title to read garden seat when we read bench in here we think mostly woodworking bench!

The screws will depend on the timber: if pressure treated than you will need decking screws.

How will you make the M&T joints?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

1: edit the title to read garden seat when we read bench in here we think mostly woodworking bench!

The screws will depend on the timber: if pressure treated than you will need decking screws.

How will you make the M&T joints?

Sorry ,can't edit the title.
    It is treated timber that i have ordered. Cheers for the advice on the screws.
    No M&T joints required looking at the drawings in the link i have added.
    Maybe this thread should be in the DIY section rather than Woodcraft. :o
    It's probably a bit basic for in here.

maximo31 wrote: »
    Sorry ,can't edit the title.
    It is treated timber that i have ordered. Cheers for the advice on the screws.
    No M&T joints required looking at the drawings in the link i have added.
    Maybe this thread should be in the DIY section rather than Woodcraft. :o
    It's probably a bit basic for in here.

Edit, go advanced and follow the signs!

The text mentions galvanised screws.
    OK I looked closely, I see its all screws.
    I would consider some sort of dowel in the bottom stretcher because someone is bound to stand on it to climb up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

For peace of mind I would use stainless steel screws - available online. A bit pricey but they won't rust to pieces in a few years. Try and use a drill/counterbore bit with wooden plugs for neatness.

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    For peace of mind I would use stainless steel screws - available online. A bit pricey but they won't rust to pieces in a few years. Try and use a drill/counterbore bit with wooden plugs for neatness.

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Meant to post a finished picture. Turned out fine. Put two coats of Danish oil on it. Thinking of a coat of a mahogany colour varnish on it now. Any recommendations?

Meant to post a finished picture. Turned out fine. Put two coats of Danish oil on it. Thinking of a coat of a mahogany colour varnish on it now. Any recommendations?
    Post a few close ups, it looks great:)

Pen a few lines on what you did

Post a few close ups, it looks great:)

Pen a few lines on what you did

Feel like i'm back in school!! :)
    It was a gift to my mother in memory of my father so it has been delivered to her house already so i took no close ups. Got a small engraved brass plate too to put on it. Just have 1 other photo before applying the oil. To be fair it was handy enough to do even though it has plenty of imperfections!! I would hope to learn from my mistakes. :o
    Planning on making another one , slightly different design for myself.
    It was very heavy when done as made with all 4 x 2's. May try a design that is a little lighter.
    So what tools / equipment should a beginner be looking to purchase?
    Looked at a lot of videos today and thinking of getting (some of) a circular saw / table saw / sanging belt / router , etc.
    What would you guys recommend for a beginner?
    Is there any thread on here for beginner requirements??
    I would also like to make some pizza boards as making a lot of them lately and planning on a small gathering!
    Any advice / link on how to make these would be great.

Back at school...... as teacher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Feel like i'm back in school!! :)
    It was a gift to my mother in memory of my father so it has been delivered to her house already so i took no close ups. Got a small engraved brass plate too to put on it. Just have 1 other photo before applying the oil. To be fair it was handy enough to do even though it has plenty of imperfections!! I would hope to learn from my mistakes. :o
    Planning on making another one , slightly different design for myself.
    It was very heavy when done as made with all 4 x 2's. May try a design that is a little lighter.
    So what tools / equipment should a beginner be looking to purchase?
    Looked at a lot of videos today and thinking of getting (some of) a circular saw / table saw / sanging belt / router , etc.
    What would you guys recommend for a beginner?
    Is there any thread on here for beginner requirements??
    I would also like to make some pizza boards as making a lot of them lately and planning on a small gathering!
    Any advice / link on how to make these would be great.

I'm a beginner also. Haven't built anything yet. Waiting for all tools to arrive.
    For a beginner, that seat looks very good. A nice thought as a gift for your Mum.

Advertisement