Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Pro14 final June 20th next year apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any word on broadcast rights for this and the Heineken?

Last year was the first year of a 3 year deal, similar with Europe, although that may have been a 4 years.

Aside the from the cost factor I think Premier/Eir Sports did a pretty good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any word on broadcast rights for this and the Heineken?

Eir has confirmed by email today that from 1st August:

Eir Sports Package (free for Eir BB customers) excludes BT Sport.

Includes:

Every game in Rugby World Cup

Pro14 - every game incl all Leinster and Munster games live.

With BT Sports to become available on Sky from (presumably) 1st August it will be interesting to find out how much extra it will cost.

The good thing is that the Heineken doesn't start til mid-Nov so no need to buy BT until then unless you want to watch the football. After mid-Jan no more Heneken til April/May so you could cancel BT until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    Only a short term move though. I'd say he's playing for his career at this point. If that goes badly, nobody is going to really want him and he'll end up taking a pretty crap contract somewhere.

I can't see him getting much game time though even with Machenaud at the RWC. Iribaren is the clear back up and a cut above SHC. Chauveau has left this summer though so he should be back up until the end of the RWC.

I saw he commented that he possibly wold have had to even decline a call up if Townsend named him as he had to give his club career priority (I assume he meant trying to rescue it).

In all honesty bar an absolutely biblical injury crisis, he’s nowhere near a call up even to a training squad. Such a mad decline, he seemed like a real prospect when he first broke through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2019%E2%80%9320_Pro14_transfers

The list of transfers for the Pro14 teams. Bear in mind this doesn't include players that left/retired during the 2018-19 season.

Not a lot of particularly big name signings there for the coming season. Or will many more continue to be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not a lot of particularly big name signings there for the coming season. Or will many more continue to be announced?

No real big name signings although Cardiff and Ulster have brought some good players in, albeit they are both losing big players in Anscombe and Best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

stephen_n wrote: »
    In all honesty bar an absolutely biblical injury crisis, he’s nowhere near a call up even to a training squad. Such a mad decline, he seemed like a real prospect when he first broke through.

Japan next if it doesn’t work out in France I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ruan Pienaar apparently Cheetahs bound. Can see them surprising a few people next season. Poor last season but have a very young squad and haven’t lost anyone bar Shaun Venter, Pienaar clearly an upgrade there. New coach too, with a favourable run of fixtures they could get off to a fast start playing weakened teams during the World Cup. Similar could happen in the 6N period.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A few of the Cheetahs players might be only contracted until November due to the old position of the Currie Cup in the calendar. In their first season the Cheetahs lost a few starters after November as they had signed for Super Rugby teams. A player like Maxwane needs to be locked up long term, he only turns 24 next month.

Pienaar would be quite a signing. Even at his age he could command a serious salary in Europe/Japan.

The SA sides should look to build some momentum during the RWC when some of their opponents will be fielding weakened sides.

There was a Saffer journalist on craggy rugby pod earlier this season who was fairly optimistic about this season. If I recall correctly, he said at that time that basically all the squad was signed up until at least the end of 19-20 season and thought their Pro14 performances would be significantly better in the coming season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There was a Saffer journalist on craggy rugby pod earlier this season who was fairly optimistic about this season. If I recall correctly, he said at that time that basically all the squad was signed up until at least the end of 19-20 season and thought their Pro14 performances would be significantly better in the coming season.

I hope that is well placed but I'm an Ulster supporter and I've been fairly optimistic about the coming season since 2006....:D:D:D:D:D:D.

This usually lasts until the inevitable selection of a full back at 10, wing at 12, a wing at 13, a centre at 11, a centre at 14 and a center at full back. Of course now that Nelson is a Canadian we need to dig up a different full back to play instead of an actual out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Blommetjies released from Scarlets after only a season. Paid out his final year of his contract, only played 6 games with Scarlets before being shipped out to Leicester on loan.

I wonder will he head back to Cheetahs or try find a contract in the Championship or even ProD2, seems to be a lot of questions over his fitness/work rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Two year contract for AWJ at Ospreys and Wales.

I know his Pro14 exposure is limited but great that he's retained.

Ruan Pienaar's move to the Cheetahs is reported as a done deal by SA media. Two year deal for Pienaar to join his hometown team.

Ruan Pienaar's move to the Cheetahs is reported as a done deal by SA media. Two year deal for Pienaar to join his hometown team.

Confirmed:
    http://www.fscheetahs.co.za/news/toyota-cheetahs-welcomes-ruan-pienaar-20190710

Fixtures out tomorrow at one pm.

Cheetahs announced four new signings today, from reading online it seems a couple of them have super rugby experience and the centre smit is apparently a highly rated prospect. Three two year deals and one three year deal. Club seems to becoming more stable, they will be much improved and think they have a reasonable chance of sneaking into top three next year, catching Glasgow or Ulster on the hop.

http://www.fscheetahs.co.za/news/four-new-players-for-toyota-cheetahs-in-guinness-pro14-20190716

The Cheetahs will also be match fit as they will have an extended pre-season of competitive games via the Currie Cup. A strong start in the 3-4 games during the RWC window will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Hahaha.... Fcuk em

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

And the fixtures are out...

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1151461352420118529?s=19

Weekend away for Glasgow as expected. Away game for Leinster and a home tie for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Away on opening day again. I know it doesn't matter really, but its mad that we've only had 1 opening day at home in the last 8 seasons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Away on opening day again. I know it doesn't matter really, but its mad that we've only had 1 opening day at home in the last 8 seasons.

Isn't that something to do with the RDS pitch and the horses, and having to rebuild the stands?

Both SA teams start with three home games. Their first two seasons started on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Both SA teams start with three home games. Their first two seasons started on the road.

To be fair. Makes sense to get their games in earlier when it's cooler in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Are the SA team home matches not available in Rep. of Ireland?
    That's a pity if not. Would like to see how good the SA teams are at the start of the season, hopefully very competitive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Are the SA team home matches not available in Rep. of Ireland?
    That's a pity if not. Would like to see how good the SA teams are at the start of the season, hopefully very competitive.

Their rounds 2 and 3 games against Munster and Ulster are on Eir. Cheetahs v Cardiff in round 1 is on Premier Sports.

https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/fixtures/

If the tv bit is accurate then Eir are only going to show about half the games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

awec wrote: »
    If the tv bit is accurate then Eir are only going to show about half the games.

I'm guessing that because we will now get the full Premier Sport channel on Sky, that that Eir 2 will no longer be showing Premier Sport content so they will only have the Irish games available to them.

I'm guessing that because we will now get the full Premier Sport channel on Sky, that that Eir 2 will no longer be showing Premier Sport content so they will only have the Irish games available to them.

Yea, they are losing the coverage they got for free from Premier.

The premier sports coverage of Pro14 will presumably be blocked in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

awec wrote: »
    Yea, they are losing the coverage they got for free from Premier.

The premier sports coverage of Pro14 will presumably be blocked in Ireland.

This is grossly unfair to viewers in ROI. Pro 14 organisers clearly promoted (when present deal was signed) that every game would be available live to viewers on these islands. This has not and will not be the case. Those south of the border can only hope that Eir Sports goes the way of Setanta (with subscriptions declining rapidly due to absence of BT Sport in Eir Sports package) and Premier Sports 1/2 are both made available to them and 'in the clear.'

Advertisement