Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2019/2020

• 25-03-2019 1:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A place to keep us sane till till we get back to the snow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

I start thinking about next season as soon as I’m home from my last trip.
    Only 262 days to go to my next trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I've a week booked already for next season in Serre Chevelier. It might be my only week as I've a trip to NZ planned over Xmas/New Year so that will take up most of my holidays next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Book Saalbach for a week from 28th for NYE... and looking to do another week end of February... possibly St Anton sanitize_url('

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DoraDelite wrote: »
    I've a week booked already for next season in Serre Chevelier.

My first ski trip ever was there for NYE Ive always meant to head back but haven't managed to so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Lads lads there's life in this year yet, jesus its not even April you junkies!

Edit: Very decent snow fall predicted for next midweek, will try to get out just to spite ye

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »

Edit: Very decent snow fall predicted for next midweek, will try to get out just to spite ye

If I’d the finances, holidays and the pass from home I’d be all over a few days next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi Folks,

Hoping its ok to post this here - Just hoping to gain from all of your collective experience and knowledge.

Just recently had an idea to bring my kids (Boy and Girl 12 & 14) Skiing this season.

I have absolutely no clue as to destination Country, resort, best duration (Is 5-7 days a good guideline?) etc.

I'm not lazy as to doing my own research I promise! But thought it best to seek advice on here and then seeing if its a good fit for us or whatever.

Just hoping it will be a nice little break and memorable for the kids.

I suppose things like advice on ski schools & perhaps recommendations on a resort or town with things for the kids to do or go visit in the evening for a few hours is what I'm wondering about.

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.

PS Oh - And I should mention - The budget isn't massive - This is something we'd price and then save for!! - If it was good value for money too then that's a welcome bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Russman

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Hoping its ok to post this here - Just hoping to gain from all of your collective experience and knowledge.

Just recently had an idea to bring my kids (Boy and Girl 12 & 14) Skiing this season.

I have absolutely no clue as to destination Country, resort, best duration (Is 5-7 days a good guideline?) etc.

I'm not lazy as to doing my own research I promise! But thought it best to seek advice on here and then seeing if its a good fit for us or whatever.

I suppose things like advice on ski schools & perhaps recommendations on a resort or town with things for the kids to do or go visit in the evening for a few hours is what I'm wondering about.

PS Oh - And I should mention - The budget isn't massive - This is something we'd price and then save for!! - If it was good value for money too then that's a welcome bonus!

I'm far, far from an expert, but I'm just back a few weeks ago from Niederau in Austria. Its a small resort but I reckon excellent for beginners. It seemed to me to be to be very much orientated toward "family" holidays. I was there during Dutch half term so there was lots (and lots !) of kids around. The nursery slopes are right by the village and you could see instructors with their classes of 8-10 kids all over the place. The ski school seems to have a good reputation, certainly the instructor I had was great, it was his 33rd season in that resort !
    In terms of price, its pretty cheap and cheerful, there are plenty of more expensive/exclusive resorts, but it suited me, as a second time skier, perfectly. Stayed in the Hotel Sonnschein. From my understanding the only drawback is that it might be considered a little low and in a bad snow year potentially the slopes might suffer. That said, there was heaps of snow there this year. I booked it at 2 weeks notice through Crystal Ski as opposed to doing it DIY.
    Hope that helps.

Theres a thread I posted asking for advice on bringing kids DIY shortbreak where a few people posted their experience which would also be helpful

Pretty sick at mo - flights cheap enough this weekend and it is bucketing down with snow (1 meter plus), but I can't convince anyone to go and, to be honest, I'm not long back and not really in the mood for going this weekend, have family **** on. If I was hungrier I'd just go alone. Still sick though even though I know staying is the right call!!

Theres a thread I posted asking for advice on bringing kids DIY shortbreak where a few people posted their experience which would also be helpful

This one:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057939953

You should def do it here is my 2 who are 4 and 5

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    This one:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057939953

You should def do it here is my 2 who are 4 and 5

Better than me already - great vid was that edited by the software automatically?

P s by wanting to go this weekend it was emphatically sans kids - no kids on a powder day!

Still hoping to get a few days in next two weeks. Warm, smooth quiet slopes, good eating and wellness, how bad?

Better than me already - great vid was that edited by the software automatically?

Yeah I picked the clips using the gopro app, added a few highlight tags then hit create and it spat that out

They have no fear and were pretty tough considering...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

We (2 adults and 3 children, 14,12,9 yrs) went to Arinsal, Andorra for our first skiing trip this February half term. We went for 7 nights in Andorra and stayed 1 night in Barcelona on the way out. Arinsal is very English language friendly(okay there are loads of British there!) Eating out is cheap, €80 for 2+3 including a few drinks for adults and children. Flights to Barcelona are relatively reasonable as there are 3 airlines competing.
    Accomodation can be found cheaply. Snow should not be a problem and there are plenty of learner slopes.

Just booked for Easter week. Its never over. :):):)

Where you off to?

Snow forecasts are looking decent in some places!

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Where you off to?

Snow forecasts are looking decent in some places!

Probably solden. The guts of meter last week, I see there's still more in the forecast, but to be honest that high you're probably as well off with sun. I'm just banking on a few days of hard to middling piste skiing, with some nice food wine and wellness. No expectations apart from:-

A - not having to work and
    B - not having my kids crawling all over me

Anything else is a plus

I may have said this before but....

God I fcuking love skiing...

Enjoy! if I didn't have other plans I'd be considering another few days over Easter as well.

Seems a good year to do it, in austria anyway

• Advertisement

Probably solden. The guts of meter last week, I see there's still more in the forecast, but to be honest that high you're probably as well off with sun. I'm just banking on a few days of hard to middling piste skiing, with some nice food wine and wellness. No expectations apart from:-

A - not having to work and
    B - not having my kids crawling all over me

Anything else is a plus

How do you get away so much with young kids? Not a bit jealous

Only short trips to be fair 3 days, 3 days and 2 days. Also I'm unbearable if I DON'T go. Hope to bring them on next one as it happens.

Only short trips to be fair 3 days, 3 days and 2 days. Also I'm unbearable if I DON'T go. Hope to bring them on next one as it happens.

Ha ha, I’m similar tbh. I do two four day trips but went December and January this season and it’s an awful long wait till December again.

Do you go on your own?

maddness wrote: »
    Do you go on your own?

Haven't done yet, came very close last weekend when conditions looked great and couldn't find anyone. Last trip I was on I skied just 15 minutes with others over the two days and loved it, but I had company over dinner the one night I was in resort and that made a big difference. Its the evenings I think you'd miss someone? Transfer in can also be boring but if you put on music or podcast is ok. Transfer out I'm usually high as a kite after the days skiing!

If I'm stuck next year i'll post here and snowheads and see if anyone interested, I get the impression there's a decent market of people who skied in their 20s but find it harder to convince their mates to go now due to family and work commitments. I've skied with total strangers before on group holidays and really enjoyed it.

"Wie heiBt die Mutter vom Nicki Lauder?"

Looks like a lot of snow this coming weekend, lifts still turning in a few places. Would definitely be headed out but would be kind of taking the piss a bit, might be living alone when I came back. Anyone lucky enough to still be in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Looks like a lot of snow this coming weekend, lifts still turning in a few places. Would definitely be headed out but would be kind of taking the piss a bit, might be living alone when I came back. Anyone lucky enough to still be in the game?

I only had one trip this year, in January. Next January seems, so, so far away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Russman

Hey all,
    I’m just looking for some suggestions for a modest step up in resort for next year. I was in Niederau this year and really enjoyed it but for next year I’m thinking maybe somewhere like Ski Welt, Zell Am See etc might be a good idea ? It’ll be my 3rd ski trip (with lessons) and I’ll likely have two first timers with me too. Kinda want to stay with Austria but would look at Italy too. 3rd or 4th week in January is when we’re looking at.

Apologies if this should have its own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

I want to go skiing for a few more days before it all melts this year! I'm thinking of the May bank holiday and seems like I can get decent tickets to Geneva. Which resort is the best to go for early May? Somewhere that would be easily accessible from the airport.

Advertisement