Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas upgrade to 55m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

donvito99 wrote: »
    But the reason the path isn't clear is because someone else I.e. a taxi man has blocked the path.
    And we don't enforce traffic law in Ireland. So we're straight out of options? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The luas goes straight into yellow boxes even if its not clear on the other side and breaks the pedestrian lights also.

Yellow boxs and pedestrian lights don't apply to the LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

GM228 wrote: »
    Yellow boxs and pedestrian lights don't apply to the LUAS.

Do they apply to buses? Genuine question, one of the biggest offenders for blocking pedestrian crossings around the city is buses. If they're exempt would explain a lot.

(sorry for the off-topic question)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

MOH wrote: »
    Do they apply to buses? Genuine question, one of the biggest offenders for blocking pedestrian crossings around the city is buses. If they're exempt would explain a lot.

Trans operate on rail signals. Buses operate on traffic signals.

MOH wrote: »

Buses can lawfully enter a yellow box even when the exit is not clear when exiting a bus lane.

As regards a crossing, obeying traffic lights aside there is no prohibition on stopping on a pedestrian crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bus drivers are a problem blocking College Green. You have some good drivers who don't pass lights if they will block a yellow box and the Luas and others who just block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You have some good drivers who don't pass lights if they will block a yellow box and the Luas and others who just block it.

Is it possible for a LUAS tram to lock a yellow box due to a fault of the driver or is the blocked yellow box a knock-on due to a road vehicle blocking a yellow box and not allowing the tram to pass unhindered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

highdef wrote: »
    Is it possible for a LUAS tram to lock a yellow box due to a fault of the driver or is the blocked yellow box a knock-on due to a road vehicle blocking a yellow box and not allowing the tram to pass unhindered?

Yellow boxes don't apply to the Luas full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yellow boxes don't apply to the Luas full stop
    Your opinion from observation or legally?

It is potentially possible however very rare. Its usually down to other road users and those who block boxes instead of waiting until clear hold everyone up longer as the lights will continually re-set until Luas get clearance.

My concern is once the full fleet is extended box blocking will likely cause significant disruption and College Green could well be at a standstill like when LCC opened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Your opinion from observation or legally?

Yellow boxes are for road traffic, traffic lights are for road traffic, tram signals and signs for trams are for trams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

devnull wrote: »
    Yellow boxes are for road traffic, traffic lights are for road traffic, tram signals and signs for trams are for trams.

Exactly just as in the same way a yellow box at a level crossing wouldn't apply to a train

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Are there any of the newer extended trams (from most recent) upgrades in use yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

donvito99 wrote: »
    But the reason the path isn't clear is because someone else I.e. a taxi man has blocked the path.

But its a joint usage lane. So cars can be there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Luas has to obey pedestrian lights also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GM228 wrote: »
    As regards a crossing, obeying traffic lights aside there is no prohibition on stopping on a pedestrian crossing.

this is a bit of an oversight in ROTR - there should be a prohibition on blocking pedestrian crossings, either that or they should put yellow boxes on all crossings. The crossings on the north quays are often blocked by coaches (Fingal Express are the worst offenders).

Luas has to obey pedestrian lights also

The laws regarding traffic lights (and yellow boxs and most other traffic rules) apply to mechanically propelled vehicles and cycles, they specifically exclude the LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

zom wrote: »
    Thank you for your update. When do you think can we see new 55 upgraded trams like 5021 on tracks?

Sandyford depot 3D view from Google Maps - beginning of extension jobs, probably mid 2018 :

LUAS-Sandyford-1024.jpg

5021 has been in Sandyford depot since it was extended, but has moved siding, perhaps it has been out on the running line on test. Last I saw it a couple of days ago, a technician was working on it.

I have not seen it working yet, but it could be any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

tabbey wrote: »
    5021 has been in Sandyford depot since it was extended, but has moved siding, perhaps it has been out on the running line on test. Last I saw it a couple of days ago, a technician was working on it.

I have not seen it working yet, but it could be any day.

Is number 5023 another extended one? I saw it yesterday and as I am bit tram-spotting recently, I counted bogied sections and I got 5 - but I coud be wrong (it was on the move)?

Confirmation has come from the NTA today that the overall project of tram extensions for the Green Line is now expected to be finished by the end of September 2021 on a phased basis.

The 8 additional 54m trams are due to arrive by September 2021 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Confirmation has come from the NTA today that the overall project of tram extensions for the Green Line is now expected to be finished by the end of September 2021 on a phased basis.

The 8 additional 54m trams are due to arrive by September 2021 also.

was that in a press release?

grimbergen wrote: »
    was that in a press release?

It was from the horses mouth, so to speak.

5021 the first existing tram to be increased to 55m and now in service.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    5021 the first existing tram to be increased to 55m and now in service.

After spending three months in one siding followed by a couple of weeks in another.

Hopefully whatever the problem was, it has been resolved and the remainder can be extended promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

TWENTY-SIX LONGER Luas trams are to be introduced on the Green Line over the next 14 months

https://www.thejournal.ie/longer-green-line-luas-trams-4851094-Oct2019/

I tried to figure out what the tram's side number is for that first presented but I cant, I presume this is 5021 ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFmuuCwiQ6U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvR8oEdsgM

Another set of intermediate segments arrived in Sandyford this morning.

zom wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/longer-green-line-luas-trams-4851094-Oct2019/

I tried to figure out what the tram's side number is for that first presented but I cant, I presume this is 5021 ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFmuuCwiQ6U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvR8oEdsgM

It could also be one of 5027 - 5033, which were built as 55 metre long from new.

It was 5021.

5001 has had its augmentation surgery and is now 55 metre long.
    It has been sitting in Sandyford today, in the same siding where 5021 sat for months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

tabbey wrote: »
    5001 has had its augmentation surgery and is now 55 metre long.
    It has been sitting in Sandyford today, in the same siding where 5021 sat for months.

I wonder how long it takes, and will there be an improvement in how quickly it can be done now that they've had the practice?

Advertisement