Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Didn't seem to be a lot of love between Chris and Ivan there, was there. I'd say Chris is still fairly sore. I think everybody knew that Ivan was the real talent behind the success of their breakfast show. But he has 100% proof of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Chris is a glorified phone in reporter these days. It's no wonder he's p1ssed with Ivan taking over his show.

Not a big fan of John Drennan but I loved his summary of the most recent three presidents.

Michael D is Calpol: a bit soothing, but doesn't do much
    Mary Robinson: a quick fix/ pill
    Mary McAleese: a nice apple tart (no emphasis on the tart):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

So ..... not to see much traffic on this thread is a bit surprising at this stage, he mustn't be doing badly enough to get posters all riled up?

I for one think he's great anyway. Knows when to pull the leg of a guest when appropriate - eg just as a small example there was a piece the other day about cosmetic surgery for men and he's there pretending to be all confused. She's talking about laser treatment for redness of the skin and he goes "oh yes, and I believe that works wonders for "whiskey nose, is that true".

OK he was being irreverent and some would probably take grave offence, but do we really want to live in a world ruled by Chris Donoghue and Joe Molloy types? In fact I think his case vindicates NT's policy of hiring personality presenters with life experience over so called "trained journalists" like Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I saw him in Dun Laoghaire yesterday before 7. I heard the start of the show so I know he was on air.

Is some of it pre recorded because of his tv3 work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fell flat again discussing the upcoming rugby. Built the game between Munster and Leinster only to have "Quinny" and Mullet Shane talk about it as being 6 out of 10 in terms of rivalry. Nice for the 40k going to watch it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The show is a total yawn fest as is most programming on Newstalk, Today FM and RTE 1. Add in the overkill of sport and crap, patronising Ads and I find myself switching over to BBC stations more and more. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Just heard him interviewing about psycho oncology. People with mental health issues do significantly less well than those without.

So he asks, in a rhetorical manner, if it's because people with mental health problems 'don't have the resolve to fight' because they're often 'down in the mouth'.

I couldn't quite believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Just heard him interviewing about psycho oncology. People with mental health issues do significantly less well than those without.

So he asks, in a rhetorical manner, if it's because people with mental health problems 'don't have the resolve to fight' because they're often 'down in the mouth'.

I couldn't quite believe it.

No harm to him, but he's ineffably gormless betimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Get ready for an awkward moment, as Ivan is about to interview political correspondent Chris Donoghue on Ivan's show, from which, as we all know, Chris was suddenly dropped.

It was only a few weeks ago Chris Donoghue was jeering about 'giving Ivan a bit of work' as a guest contributor. Karma is a bitch and she has her boots on.

Sorry, lost here, haven't being paying attention to the latest goings on

Chris Donoghue "dropped"? by whom? Ivan or NT itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Sorry, lost here, haven't being paying attention to the latest goings on

Chris Donoghue "dropped"? by whom? Ivan or NT itself?

He's their political editor now, whatever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I would have thought that Political Editor of the Communicorp group, ie. overseeing their political output across the different stations and online and determining their direction, and no doubt having several journalists and researchers now working under him, is quite a step up from just being a presenter.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the plan from well before the show announced it was ending. There was an vacant job (after Gavan Reilly left for TV3), Chris went for it, got it, then they had to decide what to do with the show, and in the end thought that moving Ivan to his own solo show was a better choice than sticking him with Sarah, or getting someone else on with her.

e: actually just found the job spec advertisement.
    timeline:
    6pm Thurs 16th Aug - job spec goes up (with a closing date for applications less than 24hrs later - 5pm Friday)
    around morning/early afternoon Friday 17th Aug - Ivan announced to take over Drive
    5pm Friday 17th - deadline closes for Political editor job
    25th August - Chris announced as new Communicorp Group Political editor.

that looks to me as clear as day that it was set up and choreographed well in advance

Communicorp is hiring a Group Political Correspondent to manage political coverage across all its radio stations including Newstalk, Today FM and 98FM as well as supplying political coverage to the Network of Ireland’s leading Independent radio stations.

Reporting to the Group Head of News, the Group Political Correspondent will be responsible for keeping over 1 million adults a day abreast of the key political developments as well as providing analysis and commentary.

The successful candidate must have strong analytical skills and the ability to give incisive perspective on the important political issues, with a passion for radio broadcasting that can marry both skills to create radio that is evocative and engaging. You will be based predominantly at Leinster House and will oversee the political output for all the CGL stations and the Network of Independent stations.

The successful candidate will also be centrally involved in planning and delivering Communicorp’s General Election strategy.

The successful candidate will need:

Experienced and proven track record in political reporting
    A minimum of 5 years experience in a senior reporting role
    A proven ability to break stories
    A comprehensive contacts book with links to elected representatives, all major government departments and political parties
    A passion for radio broadcasting
    The ability to work in a fast paced multi-media environment
    Proficient in editing and producing radio reports and packages , often in a short time frame
    Ability to provide detailed analysis and conduct seamless Q&A’s tailored to a variety of programme formats
    A strong online presence
    Excellent copy writing skills
    Ability to write comment and analysis for the brand websites as directed
    Good working knowledge of Adobe Audition or similar audio editing packages
    Thorough knowledge of the regulatory and legal environment
    Thorough knowledge of the workings of the institutions of the state

Applications to Sinead Spain, Group Head of News, Marconi House, Digges Lane, Dublin 2 or sspain@todayfm.com marked Group Political Correspondent no later than 5 pm Thursday August 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

I find it Hard to Listen to Someone who went to Wales to dodge his creditors and then when he declared bankrupcty and came out went on a round the world trip talk about rubbing peoples noses in it

Cant Stand the Guy a younger version of George Hook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I would have thought that Political Editor of the Communicorp group, ie. overseeing their political output across the different stations and online and determining their direction, and no doubt having several journalists and researchers now working under him, is quite a step up from just being a presenter.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the plan from well before the show announced it was ending. There was an vacant job, Chris went for it, got it, then they had to decide what to do with the show, and in the end thought that moving Ivan to his own solo show was a better choice than sticking him with Sarah, or getting someone else on with her.

It's a step down for him. Didn't Shane Coleman have that role before he got breakfast?

I think you're overestimating the kinds of resources that are available within Newstalk. It's called 'Political Editor', but he's a pol corr. And he's very good at it, in my view.

The Group has a Head of News, which is more akin to the role you're describing, but that role is currently occupied by someone else, and isn't a broadcasting role.

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    It's a step down for him. Didn't Shane Coleman have that role before he got breakfast?
    no, I'm pretty sure Coleman was only the Newstalk political editor. Gavan Reilly was doing that job at Today FM (and for a while when Coleman left).
    when Reilly went to TV3, there were then both roles (as well as that role for 98FM etc.) vacant.
    it would definitely be a step above Coleman's role.

It looks to me that Donoghue wanted the job, and it was his choice to leave Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ivan going on about hotels and wondering if they passed on the VAT reduction at all a few years ago.

I wonder if anyone has asked Bobby Kerr the same question about Insomnia not passing on the reduction

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Someone texted that question into Ivan last week I think.

He said Bobby has to do what Bobby has to do to keep his company going, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Someone texted that question into Ivan last week I think.

He said Bobby has to do what Bobby has to do to keep his company going, or something like that.

could've been me that sent that in, didn't hear him read it out. that's nonsense though. most people buying a cup of coffee or whatever wouldn't really notice it. but it makes a hell of a boost to profits in the company over the year if you don't have to hand it on to the revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ivan going on about hotels and wondering if they passed on the VAT reduction at all a few years ago.

I wonder if anyone has asked Bobby Kerr the same question about Insomnia not passing on the reduction

Chris Donoghue asked him when it was first introduced and Bobby said no. it got quite tetchy between them - it was for the time - surprisingly heated. Bobby kept referring to the deals that Insomnia do (Coffee & muffin etc. for €4.25 (actually it may even have been €3.95?), coffee and sandwich for €5 etc.). Chris (rightly IMO) said that had nothing to do with it but Bobby wasn't for turning. Chris said what about the items not in deals then, like a single cup of coffee but again, Bobby wasn't moving.

A few years later and the price of coffee + muffin etc. in Insomnia has gradually risen (depending on what you buy) from €4.25 to €4.50 to €4.75 to €4.95. So the margin has increased gradually but significantly, all whilst the reduced vat is not being passed on.

I'm not trying to single out Insomnia, they're almost all at it in the industry.

• Advertisement

I gave the show about 15-20mins of a chance earlier this week when they did a feature on a documentary that was being shown later in the week by RTE on Lyme Disease.

Ivan came across as being disinterested, thoroughly unprepared and completely unprofessional throughout. He kept interjecting with silly/stupid comments and questions, often re-asking questions which had already been answered. He was impatient, rude and condescending.

It was like he had been given a half of an A4 page with some basic info on it but hadn't even bothered to read that, then decided to offer his own "expert" :rolleyes: medical opinion to the person being interviewed as if he knew more about the subject matter than she did.

This off-the-cuff bluffing style has worn too thin for me. I haven't listened in weeks, and doubt I will again for many more.

I gave the show about 15-20mins of a chance earlier this week when they did a feature on a documentary that was being shown later in the week by RTE on Lyme Disease.

Ivan came across as being disinterested, thoroughly unprepared and completely unprofessional throughout. He kept interjecting with silly/stupid comments and questions, often re-asking questions which had already been answered. He was impatient, rude and condescending.

It was like he had been given a half of an A4 page with some basic info on it but hadn't even bothered to read that, then decided to offer his own "expert" :rolleyes: medical opinion to the person being interviewed as if he knew more about the subject matter than she did.

This off-the-cuff bluffing style has worn too thin for me. I haven't listened in weeks, and doubt I will again for many more.
    agreed.

I thought in the first week it was just him finding his feet, but he's still completely unprepared and all over the place, constantly messing up links, seemingly having no knowledge of the subject being discussed. hlaf the time it sounds like he's reading the researcher's names off a sheet of paper as he still doesn't know them. it's all very amateur.

I had heard stories from people who worked in Newstalk about how woefully under-prepared he often was for the breakfast show, never there for production meetings, waltzing in just before the show starts and having to get caught up with no real idea about the subjects/guests or what was happening. Chris was the one who completely held the show together on-air.

without a co-presenter, Ivan's weaknesses are greatly magnified.

agreed.

I thought in the first week it was just him finding his feet, but he's still completely unprepared and all over the place, constantly messing up links, seemingly having no knowledge of the subject being discussed. hlaf the time it sounds like he's reading the researcher's names off a sheet of paper as he still doesn't know them. it's all very amateur.

I had heard stories from people who worked in Newstalk about how woefully under-prepared he often was for the breakfast show, never there for production meetings, waltzing in just before the show starts and having to get caught up with no real idea about the subjects/guests or what was happening. Chris was the one who completely held the show together on-air.

Also heard those....and a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

agreed.

It was obvious Chris had done the preparation. He often ribbed Ivan that he had not even looked at his script. I always get the impression that Ivan is just lazy. He has said that he does not want to have anything to do with production. Same with his Tonight show. Matt Cooper is the producer of that. Ivan just bluffs his way through.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It was obvious Chris had done the preparation. He often ribbed Ivan that he had not even looked at his script. I always get the impression that Ivan is just lazy. He has said that he does not want to have anything to do with production. Same with his Tonight show. Matt Cooper is the producer of that. Ivan just bluffs his way through.

A lazy politician? No way!

;)

Joking aside, lazy does seem like a good word to describe him.

He should stick to writing fiction like his "Full On" autobiography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

The finest Taoiseach the country never had

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whenever he starts into the "banter" about how much he gets for doing public appearances, I turn off.

It's boring, nobody cares Ivan.

That's not setting the bar very high.

• Advertisement

Please tell me you're joking, trolling, or both?

Advertisement