Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,491 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he'll drop the belt. He's a nightmare for Usyk, solid jab with a huge reach advantage makes it very difficult for Usyk to get inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Usyk doesn’t need to get “inside” to beat Joyce. Usyk is a mid to long ranger boxer/volume puncher.

He needs to get inside Joyce's jab, he can't get near him if he doesn't.

There'll be something like 3 inches between them. How are you landing a glove on a guy with a solid jab, which he's wobbled a lot of fighters with, when he has that advantage. Joyce has shown everything from decent speed, great feet, stamina and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In my opinion Joyce isn't a great boxer at all but his style is a complete pain in the hoop for anyone,

He's massive, with a decent jab. unreal gas tank & can take a shot, He doesn't hit extremely hard but the fact he keeps hitting you is the issue,

Joyce has shelf life with that style i reckon he has a year or 2 max before shots start to hurt him & when they do he is goosed he won't be able to change it up , 1 fight against a Wilder or AJ could end it all even if he wins the fight could dent him badly with his style

I think he has an incredible chance against Usyk & Fury , i think he beats AJ ,

If i was him I'd stay away from Wilder unless its for a belt, He could beat Wilder but Wilder could break that chin & end his career going forward ,

As regards Wilder I'd have completely agreed with you a couple of years ago but it looks to me like Fury did to Wilder exactly what you are saying could happen to Joyce.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the Helenius fight, he's not up to much and had three KO losses before meeting Wilder.

• Advertisement

His jab isn’t particularly snappy/fast. I see Usyk’s cleverness being able to read it, time it and counter it.

Usyk’s very good varied footwork, and Joyce’s more predictable and pedestrian footwork will decide this fight, in Usyk’s favor.

Not getting this “he has to get inside the jab-can’t get near him if he doesn’t.”

I think you’re overrating Joyce here in the physical sense and the boxing sense. He’s bigger, but Usyk more than big enough to compete physically.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aye I can see things changing swiftly for Joyce when they do change. I think he can be hurt to the body, Jennings showed that. This talk of great feet… I dont see it. Ali would have a nickname for him. I dont think he does a lot on the inside either. The truth is he’s not beaten anyone of note. Dubois might go on to do well but he was about 23 at the time of the fight and very naive. I think Joyce would beat any of the top guys if they are finished but not if they perform. Wilder had a lot taken out of him with Fury, Joshua looks very timid. With Usyk I think he’s got the speed to stay away from Joyce but I think Joyce would have the plan to corner him much better than Joshua did. It’s an interesting prospect. I think Fury has a tough workout with him but beats him well on points. I think there’ll be a moment with Joyce that shatters all this silly bone density talk. If this next guy wasnt as slow he might be a threat. I just dont get where this cleaning up washed up contenders “champion” in Parker’s case leads to him having convincing claims to being top or top 3. I’d be happy enough to suggest he deserves a shot though… but we want undisputed and we want to see Fury Joshua and Wilder Joshua and Usyk Wilder. All of that is ahead of Joyce for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wilder still has that one shot power that could ruin Joyce's career, Just because Joyce's whole style is to stand there & take shots flush , If he got bodied by Wilder his confidence in his whole style would be gone

Wilder had Fury down what 3 times but Fury is used to that & it didn't faze him at all, Joyce is a different fighter,

He had 2 ko losses but i get what your saying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I don’t think anyone’s referring to him as a great, just a tough customer that you won’t see AJ, Wilder or Fury queuing up to fight is all, much like Zhang (who is also an Olympic medalist that big names avoided)

Ah come on, you can't have it both ways. You say he's beaten washed up guys and dismiss him because of that and then say Dubois was young and naive. Will you get over yourself

• Advertisement

Joyce's jab is good and very accurate and has wobbled a few opponents. So a long reach and accuracy is a big strength against a smaller fighter with a shorter reach.

How can you not see that?

There's a lot of similarities between how Joyce fights and how Lennox Lewis did. I'm not saying he's even close to the level of Lennox but it's a very affective style.

I never said that I couldn’t see an advantage possible from height, reach etc. I simply think you may be overrating it here in a match v Usyk, who is always moving and confusing his opposition.

His jab is not that snappy/fast. I see Usyk getting around it, inside it, outside it or whatever.

Get over myself? Have a bit of manners.

The point is that while Parker is well broken down Dubois was very young and unproven to be fighting a fella 10 years older with a silver Olympic medal.

Joyce does have an effective style but he’s still not really beaten anyone much and looked very hittable throughout. Parker hit him hard but he walked through that, but then again Parker wouldn’t have heavy hands either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

usyks speed and good boxing iq will work in his favour, he can avoid the constant slow jab of joyce and tag him left right and centre and win on points

this thing about joyce having high bone density enabling him to take a shot is a bluff spun out by his pr team, he got sparked out in 24 seconds against a russian ten years ago

Joyce has had some easy knock over fights so far and his best win was against parker whos seems to have fallen off a cliff and only looked good against chisora

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Joyce 256 lbs

Zhang: 278 lbs

Joyce Just weighed in the lightest he has been in Years. he looks to be in great shape

Has joyce ever looked out of shape ? He should smash Zhang to bits

What about Dubois? Are you saying he doesn't have power?

Here's a highlights package. You'll see Dubois got some big shots off but they didn't bother Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

No but he did put on around 20lbs since his debut and has gone back to that original weight now.

He had a visible 6 pack at weigh in which he hasn't had in a few years, not really sure why he is weighing in light for this one against a huge opponent.

Joyce was around 257/258 v Dubois. Yes, he’s been in the 270s, but 256 is still pretty huge!! I don’t think he needs to be 270 to give himself the best chance here.

I think it's about speed. Zhang is slow so I think losing the weight will help Joyce.

• Advertisement

Dubois’ power is difficult to measure but yea strong lad. I never said anything about him not having faced anyone without power. Ustinov I’d say has power but he’s brutal. Dubois fight was similar enough to the Parker one. My point was the it was a step up for Dubois and he likely wasnt ready for it. Wardley Dubois would be an interesting fight for example. But anyhow thats a different discussion. For now, Joyce is still 5th for how much I wanna see him fight for titles.

Surprised to see Joyce turning up light. Zhang will have an advantage in the clinch if he can catch Joyce. Id have expected Joyce to be more than confident in his speed over Zhang.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭reclose

i think Zhang is being over rated on boxing forums. He’s a pro 8 years and he’s fought nobody at all, except his last fight where he was beaten by an unproven fighter too.

Joyce has to win this one. I also think Joyce gets hit too much to beat the top 3.

Joyce vs AJ right now would be a good fight.

I agree. He’s about 100 as well and so slow. Very ordinary and crude but a big oafish lump who is strong. Last fight I think he got hard done by to be fair though.

Joyce should be winning this one handy. If he wins it spectacularly then it does help his profile but I have a feeling he’s gonna be fishing around for another decent match up in the Autumn. Don’t think he’ll ever fight Joshua. I think he will get a title shot at some stage, earliest is a year away for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Big Bang Zhang to be dangerous early but Juggy Joe to overwhelm him in the second half of the fight.

Joyce would knock out AJ inside five rounds, he's miles ahead of him.

There's only two potentially ahead of him and that's the two champs. I don't see anybody else out there that could beat him. There's a gap between the top two and everybody else. The biggest question mark, in my opinion, is just how good Joyce is. He has to get a title shot.

i watched a Dave Allen interview recently and he was asked about Aj v joyce and he said if he hadn’t seen them sparring in the past and based on ajs current form he would pick joyce, but he said he can’t forget how Aj dominated joyce in the sparring every time and he said he has his number so he’s picking Aj to beat him.

I could see Joyce winding up taking Joshua in a similar way to Bellew with Haye when he was spent. A well motivated Joshua and I think it’s very close. Don’t see it happening. Tough work picking an opponent for Joyce assuming he wins tonight. If Yoka hadn’t been so shocking last day out that was a possible match up. Maybe Whyte or Hervovic?

I would like to see joyce v Whyte

• Advertisement

Yes. One I’d like as well. Would be Joyce’s best opponent…😖

Advertisement