Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Watching Tampa bay v Miami, Rays up 4-2, some goon comes in to pitch, 5 runs, 1 out, lost the game for his team. Why was he not taken out after 6 or 7 pitches? Never seen anyone as bad, hardly watch baseball any more, just a product, like working in a factory or something similar, terrible standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Blue Jays slowly coming into some sort of a rhythm. Only took a month or so. Good to see Morales finally making some big hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Some nice offence from the Mets the last couple of games. Conforto's leadoff OBP is now .435. Go on ya good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Half afraid to make any comments on the Yankees because the bat's will go cold eventually

But I'm very happy with how the team is playing so far.. They look hungry and determined. Nice mix of youth and experience. I was kind of dreading this season as I thought it would be a transition year for the team..

I've said too much now and they'll fall to pieces..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    Some nice offence from the Mets the last couple of games. Conforto's leadoff OBP is now .435. Go on ya good thing!
    Wins are good. Injuries are just nuts so far this season - now Cabrera with a thumb thing, which usually means the hitting falls off. Might get that prize rookie up sooner than later if Cabrera needs DL'd, too.

D'Arnaud on the DL, 3 pitchers including Syndegaard, Cespedes, Duda...pretty good all-DL team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Igotadose wrote: »
    Wins are good. Injuries are just nuts so far this season - now Cabrera with a thumb thing, which usually means the hitting falls off. Might get that prize rookie up sooner than later if Cabrera needs DL'd, too.

D'Arnaud on the DL, 3 pitchers including Syndegaard, Cespedes, Duda...pretty good all-DL team.

It's been a bit of a miserable couple of weeks but the bats seems to have heated up (hopefully not temporarily) which is nice. I was travelling back from the States on Friday and the Mets were 7-1 down as I got on the plane in Newark so it was nice turning on the phone again after I landed and saw that they had won 8-7.

Matt Harvey suspended for 3 games for "violation of club rules".

Adam Wilk (who?) goes today.

Now what. Front office being mum. Wilk last pitched in 2015 for the Angels, signed a minor-league deal this year. Hey, he's the kind of guy comes up, throws a perfecto, gets sent back down tomorrow and is never heard from again.

Uhuh.

Now what. Front office being mum. Wilk last pitched in 2015 for the Angels, signed a minor-league deal this year. Hey, he's the kind of guy comes up, throws a perfecto, gets sent back down tomorrow and is never heard from again.

Uhuh.

he should go back to where he came from. Just gave up a 3 run bomb to Giancarlo in the first. He's only throwing 82mph. it's going to be like batting practice for the Marlins.

Interesting that tomorrow, on May 8 the Mets finally play a game against a team outside the NL East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Cubs - Yankees still going on for those up early :) Top 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

So there have been a few 'incidents' this week?

What was #d1ldogate ?
    Is it related to the suspension?
    What's the goss guys?

So there have been a few 'incidents' this week?

What was #d1ldogate ?
    Is it related to the suspension?
    What's the goss guys?

Typical Mets trainwreck. God knows what the real reason for the suspension was but him not turning up after playing a round of golf seems the most likely. The NY media will dig out the truth at some stage so it would have been in the Mets interest to just release the reason from the outset and limit the drama. Only the Mets could manage to make a mess of suspending a player.

I was giving yer man Wilk a hard time over how he pitched yesterday but then I reads this.

"Leave Las Vegas with the Triple-A 51s at 7 a.m. Saturday. Fly to Denver. Connect to Albuquerque. Find hotel room not ready. Mingle in lobby. Check into room. Go to field and play catch. Learn you are needed in New York. Zip back to hotel, shower, fly to Los Angeles. Leave LAX at midnight for New York and arrive at 8:30 a.m. Sunday. Go straight to Citi Field. Start 1:10 p.m. game and face Giancarlo Stanton in the first inning."

Harvey filing a grievance against the team. Makes me wonder if the Mets are better off flipping him now. Relationships looks to be very sour

Harvey filing a grievance against the team. Makes me wonder if the Mets are better off flipping him now. Relationships looks to be very sour

I'm sure they'd love to be shot of him at this stage but he has no value at the moment.

They'll need to stick with him and hope his performances improve so they can get something useful for him in a trade at the deadline or at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

You'll be glad to know Harvey is enroute to the Nationals in July then!

You'll be glad to know Harvey is enroute to the Nationals in July then!

Trade for Trienan?

Both as popular with their respective fanbases as each other and both equally as useless.

Trade for Trienan?

Both as popular with their respective fanbases as each other and both equally as useless.

I wouldnt say Harvey is useless to be fair. Treinan most definitely is useless.

I dont think the Nationals will be in the market for a starter but Harvey will surely be traded. Boras will be looking for too much for him no doubt though.

I wouldnt say Harvey is useless to be fair. Treinan most definitely is useless.

I dont think the Nationals will be in the market for a starter but Harvey will surely be traded. Boras will be looking for too much for him no doubt though.

yeah all the Nats really need now is a couple of reliable bullpen arms. How Treinan still has a job is beyond me.

Harvey is still under contract for next season so any team trading for him probably won't be looking for an extension at this stage so Boras won't factor into the equation. But as I said earlier, he's got no trade value at the moment so he's not going anywhere.

The latest report is that he was out clubbing until 4am Saturday morning which might explain his 'migraine' that he claims he had.

Any fans of Ferris Bueller will appreciate this tweet

https://twitter.com/si_extramustard/status/861758907135512576

I have said all this off season that we should have went for a big closer , major mistake. But and I think this is a relatively important but teams have been able to pull off mid season trades for good closers. I do think Kelley and Glover could work some sort of impactful 1-2 later in the season when fit but would be shocked if we don't go and get an elite closer before the trade deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

With Iwakuma going to the DL, 4/5ths of the Mariners starting rotation is now on the DL. It's a miracle that they are only one game under .500.

• Advertisement

With Iwakuma going to the DL, 4/5ths of the Mariners starting rotation is now on the DL. It's a miracle that they are only one game under .500.

I know how you feel. I thought last year was bad for injuries for the Mets pitchers but this year looks like they could be worse as today closer Famila goes down with a clot in the arm.

So no Syndegaard, Matz, Lugo and now Familla. And the bullpen was already getting stretched thanks to some awful decisions by Terry Collins.

I know how you feel. I thought last year was bad for injuries for the Mets pitchers but this year looks like they could be worse as today closer Famila goes down with a clot in the arm.

So no Syndegaard, Matz, Lugo and now Familla. And the bullpen was already getting stretched thanks to some awful decisions by Terry Collins.

Saw this on a blog: "I don't want to be an alarmist, but it's possible that injuries may impact this season."

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Really missing Baseball Tonight for my daily news and highlights yeah some of the presenters were annoying but damn this show been such a part of my baseball following for past several years its a shame its more or less gone.

Yes the injury situation with the Mets is farcical. But if they can stay around .500 then they have a great chance of landing a wildcard and if they get everyone healthy at the right time. Then who knows.

But thats a lot of if's and buts

Yes the injury situation with the Mets is farcical. But if they can stay around .500 then they have a great chance of landing a wildcard and if they get everyone healthy at the right time. Then who knows.

But thats a lot of if's and buts

Familia's had surgery, "out for several months" probably the season.

Harvey stank up the place last night in Milwaukee, too. This is going to be a long season, though Cespedes might be back soon.

Familia's had surgery, "out for several months" probably the season.

Harvey stank up the place last night in Milwaukee, too. This is going to be a long season, though Cespedes might be back soon.

Normally when a team has a year with a bad run of injuries, it balances out the following season with a relatively healthy season but this is two years in a row that the Mets have had a lot of injuries so it begs the question is it just bad luck again or is it the way the players are managed?

And come July, it's going to get a worse as Salas, Reed and Blevins are all being overused and will be burnt out and on the DL by then.

Normally when a team has a year with a bad run of injuries, it balances out the following season with a relatively healthy season but this is two years in a row that the Mets have had a lot of injuries so it begs the question is it just bad luck again or is it the way the players are managed?

And come July, it's going to get a worse as Salas, Reed and Blevins are all being overused and will be burnt out and on the DL by then.
    In theory (that word), Matz might come back by July. Not sure about Lugo who hasn't pitched in real games this year (he was hurt coming out of the WBC.)
    They've got some warm bodies in the minors, Sewald is up and hasn't been awful yet...

Time will tell, of course, but frankly it gripes me these guys pitch at most 6 innings these days and can only make about 25 starts a year. Remember when they didn't use the bullpen as much and a complete game wasn't a rarity? Matt Harvey's best season, he won 13 games as a Met. Maybe this is who he is now. Too much ooing and ahhing over spin rates and radar gun readings, and not enough about innings pitched and wins and losses. Never mind the quality start junk - starts don't matter, just the score at the end of the game.

Ahh well, hard to be happy about the state of the Mets. 9 out of 25 opening day players on the DL, 2 key pitchers now lost for probably the year, I doubt Syndegaard's back before September if at all.

In theory (that word), Matz might come back by July. Not sure about Lugo who hasn't pitched in real games this year (he was hurt coming out of the WBC.)
    They've got some warm bodies in the minors, Sewald is up and hasn't been awful yet...

Time will tell, of course, but frankly it gripes me these guys pitch at most 6 innings these days and can only make about 25 starts a year. Remember when they didn't use the bullpen as much and a complete game wasn't a rarity? Matt Harvey's best season, he won 13 games as a Met. Maybe this is who he is now. Too much ooing and ahhing over spin rates and radar gun readings, and not enough about innings pitched and wins and losses. Never mind the quality start junk - starts don't matter, just the score at the end of the game.

Ahh well, hard to be happy about the state of the Mets. 9 out of 25 opening day players on the DL, 2 key pitchers now lost for probably the year, I doubt Syndegaard's back before September if at all.

Cabrera left the Brewers game early with a thumb injury. Another one bites the dust

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Yankees shutting down Chapman for a few weeks with shoulder swelling

• Advertisement

Cabrera left the Brewers game early with a thumb injury. Another one bites the dust

Might get to see Rosario up with the big club sooner than September.

Advertisement