Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forebears.io

• 03-11-2015 11:04am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do we know about this site, team?

http://forebears.io/ireland

Looks like they've listed a lot of records but when you click the actual link, it takes you off to Ancestry/FMP/Familysearch, etc. Some records have a pile of coins, presumably to show that you have to pay.

The site is very slow and times out a lot. No details about who set it up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I have used the site– I found it via a DNA site that Dubhthach contributes to. It’s good for a new angle – for example I recently found a link to a (free) site on Naval Memorials that I never knew about (did not find what I was looking for but other “stuff” was interesting as it had several in Ireland).

The newspaper archives links also threw up a few new (to me) e.g. this one search function is free / good and it gives a thumbnail with enough to see if it is worthwhile to pay & download.
    It also reminded me that I should keep an eye on billiongraves.com.
    It was interesting also to see the number & distribution of my surname – 270,000th most common surname in the world (to the nearest 10k) Try it here (For comparison I input "Santry" and that is 230,000th.:) )

Advertisement