Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording a possible person

• 18-11-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

How do you normally record a person who may or may not have existed ?

For example, I have heard of a particular part of the family who had children called Brian, Mary, Joe & possibly a fourth called David.

I can certainly enter in an individual called David, but I don't want him to go down on the record as officially existing until I have some way of verifying it. At the same time I don't want to not record him in case I forget to come back and follow up.

I could obviously add him and put in a note "may or may not have existed", but I'm wondering is there a standard that is normally followed along the lines of "around 1900" being an allowable date.

z

p.s. I'm talking software here - specifically GEDCOM compliant software. Obviously I can add him in on one of my little paper index cards and add in the note there.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What I do for that is add into the notes for the parents "may also have had children called X, Y & Z"

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement