Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House value in 1798

Options
  • 17-09-2010 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,
    Went into library yesterday, and on their computer I was able to find that a relative of mine was paid compensation for damage by the "rebels". There has always been a story in the family about being burnt out, but not sure which house. paid out over £200, for damages, would this rebuild a two storey 4 room house?
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

elverstown wrote: »
    Hi all,
    paid out over £200, for damages, would this rebuild a two storey 4 room house?
    D

Considering a cottage around the 1900's could be built for £35 - £40. I would say you'd build a mansion for £200 one hundred years previous!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

There was a long period of deflation in the second half of the 19th century, so it's hard to use prices from the 1900s as a measure of the value of things 100 years earlier. A better comparison might be that labourers working on Dun Laoghaire pier were paid 14 shillings a week, or roughly £35 a year in 1820.

Advertisement