Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Observing Tips for Beginners

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Can anyone recommend a set of binoculars for a beginner ? Ideally hand held to see if its for me and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Hi,

I have recently got into Astronomy when my 7 year old daughter got a telescope for christmas and I was the one that had to go to the back garden to let her look at the moon. I bought a new telescope a Celestron 114AZ Newtonian reflector telescope but I am having a problem focusing and enlarging on plants like Mars and Jupiter. The moon is fine and I get some great views of the moon and my daughter loves it but I would really like to see the other planets and so would my daughter. So far I have been able to see jupiter and a couple of moons using a 15mm lens but I can't make anything out it just appears as a bright star with moons smaller and less bright, I have tried a 6mm and 4mm lens and I have tried using the 15mm with a 2 and 3x Barlow lens but still can't make out anything on the planet, its the same for the other planets, don't why but Mars seems to be the hardest to focus on.

Im not sure whether its the telescope that needs to be focused better or is it that I am doing something wrong or is it just the sky at the moment even though it looks clear that its actually not?

Also are there any places around Dublin/Meath to go to with the telescope to view the sky? So far I have just been in the back garden which is probably not the best place to be with all the lights going on and off all the time.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Its been a while since I did visual observing with a Newt. With a 114mm mirror, views of the moon are grand - nice and bright and big. But you'd be hard pressed to see much detail on any of the planets and Jupiter's moons will be mere dots (but you should be able to see them) - I doubt you'd see the belts but there may be hints of them. For Mars - you may "see" the polar cap (more of a hint of white) but again, timing is order of the day. You need to be looking at Mars when the polar cap is at its greatest. A cursory web search should give you a good answer.

However, there things you can do to improve your viewing - this isn't an exhaustive list but its probably close enough.

1. Try to collimate the scope (the user manual should show you how). It can be tricky but if you get it right, it will make a difference
    2. Dark adaptation - this will help you see better - give your eyes at least 15 to 20 mins to acclimatise
    3. Look at dimmer stuff first - looking at the moon first will affect your eyes so the dimmer objects are harder to see
    4. Hard to even get a clear night here in Ireland but you best views will be in calm conditions - if the brighter starts in the sky are twinkling like mad, the "seeing" isn't great. The less twinkling, the better the conditions. Some of the best conditions I ever had were spring and autumn, not the dead of winter
    5. If the moon is half-to-full and fairly high up in the sky, it'll wash out the dimmer objects (planets). So try to get the planets when you have a new, old or young moon.
    6. The higher power eyepieces will giver you a higher magnification but at the expense of light-gathering and detail. There is always a sweet spot but go too high, and you'll be looking at mush.
    7. Don't give up - keep at it. You and your daughter will get a great night at some point and the views will blow you away. Try Saturn if you can get it.

By the way, next week is Astronomy Week - loads of local presentations across the country. I'm in Loughrea and Ennis Libraries next Thursday and Friday. Really looking forward to it and its always a pleasure giving it forward.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Thank you for the response. I have seen the videos on the collimating the telescope but I will get use to it a bit more before I start messing with that. I was able to see Jupiter and Venus. Mars for some reason I find hard to get but will keep trying. I see there is an event happening at the AI headquarters in Blanchardstown, I might try and head along to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Don't put off the collimation too long - that could be a reason for you not getting good visual images. Newts (or at least the ones I had) were always very fussy and needed collimating every few months. It did make a huge difference though and whilst tricky the first few times, became a breeze fairly quickly. And in fairness, whilst tricky first time, it wasn't hard, just time-consuming (maybe 30 minutes first time). I think part of my problem anyhow was the fear of breaking something - just go slowly until you build up the confidence and experience.

Going to public events can be really helpful - you can look through a number of other scopes at the same object and compare their views to your own experiences. Owners can also give good advice and tips and how to get the best out of your own scope.

Good luck and keep trying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement