Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2020, 17:58   #466
L1011

I've been trying to re-organise the store cupboards a bit today. Needed to dig out some lesser used spices like star anise so it was as good a time as any.

I have found TWELVE types of pasta so far. All in date, indeed we've used most of them recently:

Lasagna sheets
Penne
Fusili
Spaghetti
Linguine
Bucatini
Papardelle
Tagliatelle
Rigatoni
Short rigatoni
Macaroni elbows
Fusili con buco

edit: 13, tortiglioni.

Last edited by L1011; 26-07-2020 at 18:34.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-07-2020, 18:36   #467
odyssey06

No cannelloni?
Pfft.
(3) thanks from:
26-07-2020, 18:45   #468
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
No cannelloni?
Pfft.
I have lasagna sheets, ergo I have cannelloni. Just with an awful amount of extra effort.
Thanks from:
01-08-2020, 21:00   #469
New Home

Has anyone ever made bread with water roux? I'm tempted to add it to the bread machine when I'm making bread with the sourdough starter. That is probably a bad idea in itself, anyway, but I'm trying to get bread that looks a bit like that in the video, soft with a fine crumb but not a crumbly texture, and not as chewy and with big air holes as a normal sourdough. Any advice, please?

01-08-2020, 23:08   #470
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

^ Not looking for much then!

Don’t know enough about the science of bread making but it could be something to do with the milk and butter. Brioche is made with milk, I think, and that has the consistency you’re looking for. (Though not the aeration).
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-08-2020, 00:33   #471
New Home

Thanks Gloomtastic - I tried adding both the last time (but with yeast instead of starter and no water roux) and I got a solid block of crumbly bread with fine aeration, not soft at all. The taste was only meh.
02-08-2020, 05:19   #472
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

Can you make sourdough in a bread maker? Can you slow the process down enough for the starter to work?

Here’s a brioche recipe for the breadmaker. It’s got eggs in it.
https://www.food.com/recipe/bread-ma...brioche-130770
02-08-2020, 13:23   #473
BelovedAunt

Lads are there any good youtube channels that cover the basics of cooking as opposed to just recipes? Like the fundamentals behind it, what goes with what, etc?
04-08-2020, 10:55   #474
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
Brioche is made with milk, I think,
Quote:
Can you make sourdough in a bread maker? Can you slow the process down enough for the starter to work?

Here’s a brioche recipe for the breadmaker. It’s got eggs in it.
https://www.food.com/recipe/bread-ma...brioche-130770
it doesn't have to have milk in it, some recipes will, but most would say it should have butter & eggs.

The phrase "Let them eat cake" is really have meant to have been ""Let them eat brioche"
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-08-2020, 11:06   #475
New Home

Quote:
I'll let you know how the sourdough pans () out, I've used the bread machine for kneading and I'll be using it for bakng it when sll the proving is done, rather than follow a programme. Fingers crossed!!
(2) thanks from:
04-08-2020, 12:41   #476
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
I'll let you know how the sourdough pans () out, I've used the bread machine for kneading and I'll be using it for bakng it when sll the proving is done, rather than follow a programme. Fingers crossed!!
Just remembered your oven is broken, which is why you're using your breadmaker.

Shouldn't be a problem with the breadmaker really but you'll need to have room in your fridge for the overnight rise. Good luck!

If it doesn't work.....

Here's a sourdough recipe for the slow cooker. If you can do it in the slow cooker, then your oven should be able to handle the 90c temperature.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...-cooker-192421
Thanks from:
05-08-2020, 13:32   #477
BaZmO*

Any tips on pickling. I have a bunch of cucumbers that I want to pickle later and I’m not 100% sure about what to do with them.

Was going to use white wine vinegar, sugar, salt, dill, mustard seeds, pepper corns.

Do I need to add water? And do I boil everything up first? How long do they last in the fridge?
05-08-2020, 13:38   #478
the beer revolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaZmO* View Post
Any tips on pickling. I have a bunch of cucumbers that I want to pickle later and I’m not 100% sure about what to do with them.

Was going to use white wine vinegar, sugar, salt, dill, mustard seeds, pepper corns.

Do I need to add water? And do I boil everything up first? How long do they last in the fridge?
I'm no expert but this is what I do.

I just boil up the pickling liquid (yours sounds fine) and pour over the veg in a jar ans seal the jar. Add a little water if you find the solution to vinegary.

Last edited by the beer revolu; 05-08-2020 at 14:30.
Thanks from:
05-08-2020, 13:58   #479
BaZmO*

Perfect. Thanks
05-08-2020, 16:15   #480
New Home

Quote:
Just remembered your oven is broken, which is why you're using your breadmaker.

Shouldn't be a problem with the breadmaker really but you'll need to have room in your fridge for the overnight rise. Good luck!

If it doesn't work.....

Here's a sourdough recipe for the slow cooker. If you can do it in the slow cooker, then your oven should be able to handle the 90c temperature.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...-cooker-192421
Ok, two batches made. The first one was ok but the crust was very "dense", the crumb not as crumbly as the very first attempt (with a different recipe - which had the consistency of a brown soda bread but tougher), but very, very, very chewy. Both are good to eat with soup. The second one, with less water, was a lot better, the crust was thinner, it rose more, too, the flavour is quite palatable but the crumb is still pretty chewy. Good for sandwiches, but it'll give your gums a workout. Still, a vast improvement on the door stoppers I had created in the past, which could easily pass for building material...

I'll try and post pics when the site works properly again.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion