Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High Cholesterol

• 30-05-2020 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭

Got blood test results yesterday and my cholesterol is high. I have been a vegetarian for the past four years.

Results were
    Cholesterol - 6.2
    Triglycerides - 1.17
    HDL - 1.77
    LDL - 3.90

The doctor said come back in 4-6 months and if it hasn’t lowered then it will be medication for life which I really do not want.

Cheese and butter are two things I eat a lot of that are high in saturated fat that I can certainly cut down on.

Any tips what foods to avoid and eat to help with this. Any supplements that would help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mixer7

mdwexford wrote: »
    Got blood test results yesterday and my cholesterol is high. I have been a vegetarian for the past four years.

Results were
    Cholesterol - 6.2
    Triglycerides - 1.17
    HDL - 1.77
    LDL - 3.90

The doctor said come back in 4-6 months and if it hasn’t lowered then it will be medication for life which I really do not want.

Cheese and butter are two things I eat a lot of that are high in saturated fat that I can certainly cut down on.

Any tips what foods to avoid and eat to help with this. Any supplements that would help?

Hi , you could try plant based alternatives - VioLife cheese and Flora or you could try Apple Cider Vinegar , a tablespoon every morning in a glass of warm water or in capsule form . Best of luck with it .

Results were
    Cholesterol - 6.2
    Triglycerides - 1.17
    HDL - 1.77
    LDL - 3.90

Supplements will not help whatsoever.

The easy solution is to stop eating dairy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Get to a healthy weight, increase fibre intake. Sources of beta glucans fibre like oats and mushrooms are particularly good for lowering cholesterol. A small amount of nuts and seeds can help too. Exercise regularly. Reduce saturated fat intake. Oats, brown rice, beans, apples, berries are all high sources of fibre, among many others. Continue to be physically active, manage your stress, and get enough sleep. Avoid highly processed foods and added sugar, cut the dairy, no fried things or oil. Eat more omega-3's (https://www.vegetology.com/shop/opti3-omega-3-epa-dha)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ditch the dairy!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Thanks for the replies.

Ditching dairy will be a big change for me but I have started to cut down the last few days.

Have switched to oats for breakfast which are keeping me full for longer than I thought they would.

My weight and exercise levels are fine so diet or stress could be the culprits. I will add as much of the above as possible anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

These were my results a few months ago

Cholesterol (total): 4.01. Target 2.5 to 5.00
    HDL: 2.11. Target 1.00 to 2.00
    NON-HDL Cholesterol: 1.90. Target 1.80 - 3.80
    LDL Cholesterol: 1.64. Target 1.00 to 3.00
    Total HDL Cholestrol Ratio: 1.9. Target 2.0 to 5.0
    Triglycerides: 0.57. Target 0.50- 1.70

I used to have very high cholesterol. I put it down to eggs, steaks and dominos. Blood pressure improved hugely to

My weight and exercise levels are fine so diet or stress could be the culprits. I will add as much of the above as possible anyway.

Did doctor reckon bloodpressure was OK.

Augeo wrote: »
    Did doctor reckon bloodpressure was OK.

Yep everything else was fine. Got an ECG as well and bar the cholesterol it was all good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any history of high cholesterol in your family?

It could be genetic, but if not, and you make the changes advised by posters above, then you should see an improvement.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Any history of high cholesterol in your family?

It could be genetic, but if not, and you make the changes advised by posters above, then you should see an improvement.

There have been a couple of heart attacks at young enough ages in my family so possibly cholesterol was the cause of that but I don’t know for sure.

Yeah I’m going to make changes and if it hasn’t improved at all it might be a case of genetics and there’s nothing I can do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement