Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newpark/DCU Jazz Performance course

• 25-04-2017 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey there,

So I have recently been accepted into the new Jazz and Contemporary Music Performance Course in DCU, formally of Newpark Music Centre. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this course, it's tutors, past students etc. I've found everything I can about it online and would love to hear more from some people.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's a great course, a lot of work, the tutors are all excellent musicians and know what they're talking about. Plus they're good people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ichNinja

Zcott wrote: »
    It's a great course, a lot of work, the tutors are all excellent musicians and know what they're talking about. Plus they're good people too.

Did you attend the college? If so what instrument was your main one and if you don't mind me asking have you continued with a career in music?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

ichNinja wrote: »
    Did you attend the college? If so what instrument was your main one and if you don't mind me asking have you continued with a career in music?

I didn't, but I've worked with both the teachers and a few of the current and ex-students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MusicBoy1

I'm starting my second year next September and it's been an amazing journey. The teachers are awesome, some classes are demanding but great if you try to get most of it, you get to play a lot with other students, there are lots of concerts throughout the year, master classes, jam sessions, you name it. If you commit to yourself and study hard you'll become a good jazz player coming from a well-respected college. You won't regret it

Since you've been accepted then you should join the 'Newpark Student Club' on facebook and get in touch with the students there. The environment is nice since everybody is sharing the same dreams.

MusicBoy1 wrote: »
    I'm starting my second year next September and it's been an amazing journey. The teachers are awesome, some classes are demanding but great if you try to get most of it, you get to play a lot with other students, there are lots of concerts throughout the year, master classes, jam sessions, you name it. If you commit to yourself and study hard you'll become a good jazz player coming from a well-respected college. You won't regret it

Since you've been accepted then you should join the 'Newpark Student Club' on facebook and get in touch with the students there. The environment is nice since everybody is sharing the same dreams.

Thanks very much for your reply man!

I actually just got confirmation from the CAO today that I'm 100% in the course. I've just been wondering in your opinion what are any things that I should work on before going in? Like whether it be reportoie, sight reading, techniques, knowledge related to the course, just anything at all that maybe you would have liked to know going into first year or that if you did know you get was essential in first year. Also I'm wondering what your opinion on the switch from Newpark to DCU is? Having done first year in Newpark and now going to DCU how do you feel about it?

Thanks again so much!

• Advertisement

Nice man! congrats! Well, everything starts from ground zero so I wouldn't concern much about it. At first, you'll get simple exercises to work on in every class, no big surprises. In fact, it will feel like it is too easy. But don't take it for granted because it gets quite intense after a couple of months, especially at the end of the year. So my advice is to get used to a daily routine since day one. Take advantage of the easiness and try to develop that constant workflow.

Also, it depends on the instrument you play. For example, drummers suffer a lot in ear training and harmony class and they have to study harder. Also, guitar players find piano skills class too hard, like me! haha!
    If you don't know anything about DAWs or Musescore then I suggest learning some of the basics. On your finals, you'll have to write a song for five or six instruments, record all your MIDI tracks in Reaper and make scores for every instrument in Musescore. They don't tell you everything about those programs, only the basics, so you have to do some research about some other helpful functions. And again, you have to practice constantly to make it easier at the end of the year.

As for the DCU change, well... I wouldn't know. I think it's exciting though. More students, better facilities and so on. But since the teachers are the same, then I'm happy with it. They are great and that's all that matters :)

Nice man! congrats! Well, everything starts from ground zero so I wouldn't concern much about it. At first, you'll get simple exercises to work on in every class, no big surprises. In fact, it will feel like it is too easy. But don't take it for granted because it gets quite intense after a couple of months, especially at the end of the year. So my advice is to get used to a daily routine since day one. Take advantage of the easiness and try to develop that constant workflow.

Also, it depends on the instrument you play. For example, drummers suffer a lot in ear training and harmony class and they have to study harder. Also, guitar players find piano skills class too hard, like me! haha!
    If you don't know anything about DAWs or Musescore then I suggest learning some of the basics. On your finals, you'll have to write a song for five or six instruments, record all your MIDI tracks in Reaper and make scores for every instrument in Musescore. They don't tell you everything about those programs, only the basics, so you have to do some research about some other helpful functions. And again, you have to practice constantly to make it easier at the end of the year.

As for the DCU change, well... I wouldn't know. I think it's exciting though. More students, better facilities and so on. But since the teachers are the same, then I'm happy with it. They are great and that's all that matters :)

In your year what would the general standard of player be or experience be? I'm kind of guessing that because this year the course has been made public through the CAO the standard might drop from what it has been other years but in your experience how would you rate your year?

And as for the programs I'm okay with reaper but are they strict on using Musescore? I've used Finale and am more familiar with that, but if I have to switch I'm sure it won't be a problem.

I'm a bass player by the way!

I think it was a great year. Almost everybody is a good player. I met some really talented guys. Half of them are actively working. I myself am gigging quite often, it's not jazz for now but still, I enjoy it. Also, watching teachers and more advanced students play is very inspiring. You could say there is a pretty high standard.

As long as they don't change anything in the course structure, we all need to use Musescore for our projects. But if you are okay with Finale then you won't have any problem. I was familiar with Sibelius and Logic so the switch was not too bad.

I think it was a great year. Almost everybody is a good player. I met some really talented guys. Half of them are actively working. I myself am gigging quite often, it's not jazz for now but still, I enjoy it. Also, watching teachers and more advanced students play is very inspiring. You could say there is a pretty high standard.

As long as they don't change anything in the course structure, we all need to use Musescore for our projects. But if you are okay with Finale then you won't have any problem. I was familiar with Sibelius and Logic so the switch was not too bad.

How much experience did you have yourself going in? Like how long had you been playing your instrument, how long had you been gigging, all that.

Sorry for asking so many questions I'm just very excited and curious about the course!

No problem man! I had the same questions. I've been playing guitar for ten years and I got into jazz two years ago. I used to play rock and pop music in cover bands before that. I'd say that most of my classmates are kind in the same range. Like five to ten years of experience.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for your time and answers man! Hopefully one day I can say it in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FungusFun

Hi, I’ve been researching this course. I was wondering how difficult the audition would be, for example, what skill level would be required. And does it seem like the course is in high demand? I’m very interested in applying, but I don’t want to put an immense amount of work into something I’m not gonna get.

Hey man! To be honest no the audition wasn't very difficult at all, for me it was just playing two songs, doing a aural rhythm test (they'd play a rhythm and i'd clap it back) and a chat with the 3 conducting the audition. It's very chill and absolutely nothing to get stressed over, not that you won't need to put work in beforehand but it's nothing to be nervous of.

The demand of the course depends on what instrument you play. For me as a bass player there wasn't much demand but there are generally a lot of guitar players and singers. I'd say no matter how you see your skill level you should apply for the course. I had similar worries before my audition but now I am extremely happy in the course and have no regrets.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, again I remember being in your position and just having so many questions.

Thanks. I’m actually a bass player myself and so that’s quite reassuring. I was wondering if you remembered what pieces you played for the audition? I’m still unsure of where I’d stand skillwise.

FungusFun wrote: »
    Thanks. I’m actually a bass player myself and so that’s quite reassuring. I was wondering if you remembered what pieces you played for the audition? I’m still unsure of where I’d stand skillwise.

I did The Chicken by Jaco Pastorious and an original song by my band (it's alternative rock type stuff). Looking back it probably would have been better to do something more "jazz" instead of the original song but I got in in the end so it obviously didn't matter that much!

Thanks again. I’ll let you know if I have any other questions about the course.

FungusFun wrote: »
    Thanks again. I’ll let you know if I have any other questions about the course.

Please do! I hope all goes well until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dapotter

ha ha

dapotter wrote: »
    ha ha

Long time no talk Kendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dapotter

Yea ..your a busy man ...will catch up with ye soon bro😎

• Advertisement
Advertisement