Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what use is Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Teifeach wrote: »
    i dont get the train of thought that i went here or there and never heard Irish , or i used it in a Gaeltacht and was replied to with English ,, but recieved what i requested i.e Beer , Tea etc. My trips to the Gaeltachtaí are way more interesting than coming back with storys of many Irish speakers i happened upon. But back to the question ... Irish is vitaly important to me since i started learning almost 10 yrs ago. I use it almost Every day with friends etc ..its part of who i am , my life , my work , my culture , my friends , my social life and it Always will be irresspective of Anyone elses opinions or experiences. I loove her with all my heart and will use it till i Die.

Well said mate, well said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Teifeach

Grma Jay1989 , níl sin ach an fhírinne :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Although I don't feel that Irish is a very practical language, I want to re-learn it. I've done pass Irish in school for my whole life, but I really want to start over again. The GF is amazing at it, so she's going to teach me :D I'm starting all over again next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

It's plenty usefull OP, part of our identity. I wasn't a fan of it in school but ended up doing a degree in it! There wasn't a whole pile of emphasis on teaching the spoken language even at uni level, and the people who were lucky enough to be líofa in it by the time they got there were in a much better position then the likes of me with my B2 in Honours Irish in the Leaving! I am teaching my son a few words of it as he is growing up (he is 2 now) and if you asked him to put his hands up in the air he wouldn't really know what to do, but if you say "Lámha suas" his arms shoot up! Same with buailadh bos and suigh síos. I intend on sending him to the local Gaelscoil when the time comes.

I'd reccommend going to Inis Meáin, the middle of the Aran Islands. The least visited one too. They will speak Irish to you in the shop and most of the restaurants, but could be difficult in the pub, depends on who is working!! There's a bit of a mixture of nationalities on the pub pay roll!! My bro moved there to go to school before his JC and is now as fluent as his friends that grew up there. I go there at least once a year for a holiday myself and get to speak the cúpla focail I have left!!

lalee17 wrote: »
    Although I don't feel that Irish is a very practical language, I want to re-learn it. I've done pass Irish in school for my whole life, but I really want to start over again. The GF is amazing at it, so she's going to teach me :D I'm starting all over again next week. :D

Maith thú , and yeah its ok to feel its not practical , but it may Just surprise you , it sure as Hell surprised me , i am now earning money , not a fortune , but money none the less and teaching classes , somethg i would have called you mad if you had suggested it too me a few years ago that i would be in frt of 30 kids speaking Irish lol , i hated secondary school , and i wasnt best fond of Teachers Neither

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Maith thú , and yeah its ok to feel its not practical , but it may Just surprise you , it sure as Hell surprised me , i am now earning money , not a fortune , but money none the less and teaching classes , somethg i would have called you mad if you had suggested it too me a few years ago that i would be in frt of 30 kids speaking Irish lol , i hated secondary school , and i wasnt best fond of Teachers Neither

Yeah I just finished my Leaving Cert, I hated it in school but IMO the schools don't teach it effectively, they don't make it interesting enough. I used to say things like 'It's a waste of time' etc etc but I was secretly jealous. I wish I could read An Trial or osmething like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It will get you extra marks in the Civil Service exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

You get extra marks in the leavin aswell,and there are a good few jobs in it aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Gaeilge-go-deo

im still in school, just finished the junior cert, and i love irish.. i always liked it and i learned it myself.. everyone in my school knows that im really good at it people cant understand why i like it so much but tbh i dont either! in my opinion i believe its down to the national schools to build interest in the language from an early age.. they should like have complete immersion in the language a few hours a week .. and no writing just speaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CosmicCrusader

I love Irish! :D It's actually my favourite language despite the fact that it can be put to very much use. I love just being able to switch between English and Irish as I please! It's a great feeling knowing that you have something very special like the language that very few other countries have! A language that was taken away from us, but still kept alive all these years. I know it's an extremely difficult language to learn, especilly with the grammar! But it's ours, and who gives a f*** if you can't speak it 100%. Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Gaeilge chliste! I just wish more people could see the fun side of the language and the craic that can be had from speaking it.
    I really hope that the new LC Irish course can spark some sort of interest in the language. It really is a shame that more people in the country aren't willing to use the language, they'd watch it die and wouldn't give a s***!

• Advertisement

lalee17 wrote: »
    Yeah I just finished my Leaving Cert, I hated it in school but IMO the schools don't teach it effectively, they don't make it interesting enough. I used to say things like 'It's a waste of time' etc etc but I was secretly jealous. I wish I could read An Trial or osmething like that :)

I totally agree with you , but still No need to dispair and turn your back on it ,, its a long Road , and school is just a small part of it .. Life starts when you leave ... Boy aint i the wise one lol

im still in school, just finished the junior cert, and i love irish.. i always liked it and i learned it myself.. everyone in my school knows that im really good at it people cant understand why i like it so much but tbh i dont either! in my opinion i believe its down to the national schools to build interest in the language from an early age.. they should like have complete immersion in the language a few hours a week .. and no writing just speaking!

Maith thú , im sure ii will be reading Bout Irish Conquests in the Future in Telly or Some form of the Language ,, Dont forget us when you are Rich and Famous lol
    Ádh mór ort

I love Irish! :D It's actually my favourite language despite the fact that it can be put to very much use. I love just being able to switch between English and Irish as I please! It's a great feeling knowing that you have something very special like the language that very few other countries have! A language that was taken away from us, but still kept alive all these years. I know it's an extremely difficult language to learn, especilly with the grammar! But it's ours, and who gives a f*** if you can't speak it 100%. Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Gaeilge chliste! I just wish more people could see the fun side of the language and the craic that can be had from speaking it.
    I really hope that the new LC Irish course can spark some sort of interest in the language. It really is a shame that more people in the country aren't willing to use the language, they'd watch it die and wouldn't give a s***!

You have read my mind , thats a Greeaatt outlook to have , maith thú agus ádh mór ort a chara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hey guys new to these parts but I have to say I have fallen in love with the language again after falling out with it in school 15 years ago. I have started to learn it for myself recently and when I feel comfortable at being able to converse in it I will go hang out with those friends of mine who can speak it fluently. One of them said they will help me a long also with my comprehension of it.

I will say it is funny when back in school I saw the language as unnecessary and evil :D Like many I did not see the point of a language that nobody uses. Over the last few years I have spent a lot of time in the US and have met so many Irish folk who try to carry on their heritage in the US and have been to place where Irish American kids can speak the language better than me who has grown up in Ireland. It made me realise that I should be more proud of where I am from and everything about our heritage especially our national tongue. I am enjoying using my spare time learning it all over again.

Hey guys new to these parts but I have to say I have fallen in love with the language again after falling out with it in school 15 years ago. I have started to learn it for myself recently and when I feel comfortable at being able to converse in it I will go hang out with those friends of mine who can speak it fluently. One of them said they will help me a long also with my comprehension of it.

I will say it is funny when back in school I saw the language as unnecessary and evil :D Like many I did not see the point of a language that nobody uses. Over the last few years I have spent a lot of time in the US and have met so many Irish folk who try to carry on their heritage in the US and have been to place where Irish American kids can speak the language better than me who has grown up in Ireland. It made me realise that I should be more proud of where I am from and everything about our heritage especially our national tongue. I am enjoying using my spare time learning it all over again.

Maith thú
    thats a Wonderful story , and the best of Irish Luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

As above i was forced to move to London to find work 3 years ago due to the Big R ! In school I took the easy route and did pass in JC and LC ! could definitely have done honours but I’m too laid back....Anyway after these few years away I have found my language again and am learning new words to add to my vocab everyday. (Cuisneoir inniu :)

My personal rréabhlóid TG4 is amazing ! R na G, R na L and Radio Failte are also an immense help. I’m lucky my better half has a degree in irish so we speak it 40% of the time in the home. I write my shopping lists as Gaeilge (Good tip - doesnt take long to pick up the regular basket items :D)

Gaeilge boo boys - Irish was here long before you and will be long after you. What would you prefer everyone spoke American English ? a lovely thought! Lets all lose our accents while we are at it ! 1984 . This language is ours and it will not be taken away. Continue to sit and watch and complain – but we’ll still be here promoting our language speaking every sentence from the soul !

OP it seems you have taken the time to learn your language ! It must be frustrating to go to these places and not find what you are looking for, Maybe try closer to home ? Using words here and there , slowly getting peoples minds thinking – I constantly use a mix of English\Irish when mixing socially with friends, people generally get the jist or get embarrassed ! But I have reminded them and got them thinking, if they will actually take the step of learning is another storey ! Post back and let us know....even if you have decided to leave it.....

Anyway my two cents ! Gaeilge Abú !

- tir gan teanga tir gan anam !

cupan_tae wrote: »

As above i was forced to move to London to find work 3 years ago due to the Big R ! In school I took the easy route and did pass in JC and LC ! could definitely have done honours but I’m too laid back....Anyway after these few years away I have found my language again and am learning new words to add to my vocab everyday. (Cuisneoir inniu :)

My personal rréabhlóid TG4 is amazing ! R na G, R na L and Radio Failte are also an immense help. I’m lucky my better half has a degree in irish so we speak it 40% of the time in the home. I write my shopping lists as Gaeilge (Good tip - doesnt take long to pick up the regular basket items :D)

Gaeilge boo boys - Irish was here long before you and will be long after you. What would you prefer everyone spoke American English ? a lovely thought! Lets all lose our accents while we are at it ! 1984 . This language is ours and it will not be taken away. Continue to sit and watch and complain – but we’ll still be here promoting our language speaking every sentence from the soul !

OP it seems you have taken the time to learn your language ! It must be frustrating to go to these places and not find what you are looking for, Maybe try closer to home ? Using words here and there , slowly getting peoples minds thinking – I constantly use a mix of English\Irish when mixing socially with friends, people generally get the jist or get embarrassed ! But I have reminded them and got them thinking, if they will actually take the step of learning is another storey ! Post back and let us know....even if you have decided to leave it.....

Arís , another Positive post ,, iontach maith .. má tá Gaeilge agat .... use it ..... chomh minic mar is féidir leat , Gaeilge abú

cupan_tae wrote: »

Aontaím go huile is go hiomlán leat! :D You pretty much summed up my sentiments there. I try my best to listen RnaG and TG4, but I find it difficult sometimes, not that I don't understnad the Irish, it's just the shows aren't great. Like I'd probably waqtch Rós na Rún if anything interesting every happened! There's a series however that I do like called 'Seacht', I'm sure some here would recognise it. It's fairly interesting because it's a proper interesting soap like show, only as Gaeilge :D
    I try watch Aifric soemtimes, despite being a bit childish, it's actually very good for aiding your Irish. I also love Pop4, its great to have a chart show in Irish, and the presentor ain't bad on the eyes either. ;) For anyone living in the south east there's also an Irish Music Chart on Beat 102-103, not sure what days though, but some night after 10.

With regards to what you were saying about speaking the language in everyday life, I agree with you completely! My family, friends and pretty much most people I know despise the language (I really don't know why? Maybe it's because Irish people these days associate it with exams. Although, I'm doing my LC and I still love the language). Despite their hatred of the language I still speak Irish EVERYDAY to them. Maybe not fully, although I have been known to start ranting randomnly in Irish. But I mix my Irish and English with them, and if they don't understand something I'll translate.

I used to hate the language only 2 years ago. I felt like it was a useless language, that it would onlt bring me pain for the rest of my school years. But then I met a friend who pretty much for months nagged me with the language until I started to speak it with him, and you know what? IT WORKED! I always felt that Irish would always get the better of me, that the grammar and vocab were all to complex. Now I'm the best at the language in my higher level LC class. I love the language and can't get enough of it! I'm going to the Gaeltacht for the first time ever this summer and I'm so excited that I will finally get put all my Irish to use and just embrace this glorious language of ours fully! :D

So basically my message is, to any of you reading this who hate Irish and feel that it'll never come to any use. Just give it a chance. I did and now I have something that I can proudly call my own and carry it with me for the rest of my life. I'm by no means fluent, but I can definitely hold a conversation in Irish and talk about pretty much anything I want. It's not your level of Irish that counts, it's your effort.

'Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Gaeilge chliste.' Broken Irish is better then clever Irish.

Anyway, sin mo smaionte!

Leabhair an cibé Gaeilge atá agat!

Maith thú cosmiccrusader sin scéal maith eile
    although i wouldnt recommend using Irish to people who dont know it and/or have no interest , thats somethg i wouldnt do ... if its family and friends and they voiced their opinion of dislike/hatred of Irish , that would be it for me .. i would leave the subject alone .. why frustrate yourself and them any further ... you have turned the corner yourself with the help of a friend ... let them find their own way .. to some people there is no worse way to further heighten their dislike for somethg than by Shoving it in their faces .. if i have the wrong of the stick on this issue .. I Appologise ... but anyways . arís maith thú :)

Maith thú cosmiccrusader sin scéal maith eile
    although i wouldnt recommend using Irish to people who dont know it and/or have no interest , thats somethg i wouldnt do ... if its family and friends and they voiced their opinion of dislike/hatred of Irish , that would be it for me .. i would leave the subject alone .. why frustrate yourself and them any further ... you have turned the corner yourself with the help of a friend ... let them find their own way .. to some people there is no worse way to further heighten their dislike for somethg than by Shoving it in their faces .. if i have the wrong of the stick on this issue .. I Appologise ... but anyways . arís maith thú :)

I understand exactly what you mean, but it wouldn't be as annoying as maybe I made it sound. I don't speak Irish around them to annoy or help them. I do it for me, coz I enjoy it. They just accpet it for who I am. ''Ste - The Hibernophile''. I only speak very small amounts of Irish with those who don't understand it. Like ''Gabh mo leithscéál'' and ''Go raibh maith agat''. . . small things that everyone understand.

It's only my close friends who I try to wind up with it. . . and my father! :P
    I do it more so to promote the language as opposed to ''conver the masses.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Hi
    CosmicCrusader your story reminds me of a Mark Twain story, where when he was 16 he though his dad was the most ignorant man he ever knew but by the time he was 18 he could not believe how much he had learnt. :)

Deep down every Irish person wants to be able to speak Irish,myself included!

Hi
    CosmicCrusader your story reminds me of a Mark Twain story where when he was 16 he though his dad was the most ignorant man he ever knew but by the time he was 18 he could not believe how much he had learnt :)

Deep down every Irish person wants to be able to speak Irish,myself included!

My father IS the most ignorant man I've ever known. The only thing I learnt from him is how not to raise a child! But that's completely off track to what this discussion is about, I've no idea how you even got that from what I said?

And yeah I agree with the last part. Everyone says they hate Irish and that it's evil, but deep down they all wish they could speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

The quite was a reference to how I see the Irish attitudes of teenagers (and others) towards Irish. Many changing there attitude with time. I should have made that more clear.

Defiantly not any family aspersion a chara!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

For those that are from Mayo check out Gnó Mhaigh Eo and for all those who live in Galway check out Gaillimhe le Gaeilge.

Feicfidh tú ansin cén fáth go bhfuil daoine fós ag labhairt ár teanga dúchas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Maigh Eo wrote: »
    For those that are from Mayo check out Gnó Mhaigh Eo and for all those who live in Galway check out Gaillimhe le Gaeilge.

Feicfidh tú ansin cén fáth go bhfuil daoine fós ag labhairt ár teanga dúchas.
    Gaillimh le Gaeilge is just fot business. having signs as gaeilge does not prove anzthing. its more a decoration or something to look quaint for the tourists na aon ni eile

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

Fuinseog, a chara

Tuigim céard atá le rá agat, ach nach ceapann tú go bhfuil an Ghaeilge mar chuid den ár gcultúr, ár teanga, is ár gcuid fréamhacha is go raibh ag ár sean mhuintir a bheith ag troid in aghaidh muintir Sasanna fadó, so go mbeidh ár teanga féin fós againn sa lá atá inniu ann. Ní amhain é sin ach tá sean traidisiúin i gceist freisin, béaloideas, piseoga, nósanna agus mar sin. Ar chuala tú faoi Gnó Mhaigh Eo? www.gnomhaigheo.ie

Maigh Eo wrote: »
    Fuinseog, a chara

Tuigim céard atá le rá agat, ach nach ceapann tú go bhfuil an Ghaeilge mar chuid den ár gcultúr, ár teanga, is ár gcuid fréamhacha is go raibh ag ár sean mhuintir a bheith ag troid in aghaidh muintir Sasanna fadó, so go mbeidh ár teanga féin fós againn sa lá atá inniu ann. Ní amhain é sin ach tá sean traidisiúin i gceist freisin, béaloideas, piseoga, nósanna agus mar sin. Ar chuala tú faoi Gnó Mhaigh Eo? www.gnomhaigheo.ie

ta an ceart agat. is cuid ar gcultur i an Ghaeilge. don chuid is mo den daonra afach, ta si ceangailte len stair amhain agus nil suim da laghad ag an cuid is mo de na daoine daoin sean saol srl.

cen fath nach labhrann nios mo daoine Gaeilge mar ghnath theanga? nil se chomh deacair.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I've been to a couple of Gaeltachts - Ring, Spiddal, Carraroe, Inis Mór and I usually just heard English when I was there :(

I went to the Aran islands for a weekend before my college Irish oral exams to get some practise in and I ended speaking more German there than Irish.:confused:
    Or in the case of Rathcarn, there weren't very many people around to actually get talking to :(

So if the natives won't speak it with someone who really wants to speak their language, there isn't much hope. I really tried to make an effort to speak in Irish with the locals I met in those areas, but they were just trying to flog me an Irish course or a B&B run by some col ceathrar. :-/

I do understand if the Gaelgóir gets frustrated and switches to English because it is easier, but isn't that just shooting it in the foot? I actually get to speak more Irish in Dublin than I do in the actual Gaeltachtaí. :(

labhair Gaeilge leo. is cuma cen teanga a labhrann siad leatsa.

people also have a misconception towards the language. if you learn it in school you only use irish words, while if you speak it as a normal language you use a lot of english. a kind of anglo Gaelic dialect is prevalent in the gaeltacht. when Ros na Run first came on air a lot of people, especially in dublin ridiculed it, because they used so man english phrases and words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

An bhfuil tú alright? comes to mind

Advertisement