Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

It's Great to see something happening outside of Dublin. Kudos to the Big Bang for sorting this.
    The Line up are great. You have to Love the Love on the Irish Scene.

Dublin comic con has announced their 3rd guest.

1506715_598142596905980_642565577_n.jpg

And the Big Bang are Back with an event at the end of January.
    They always put on a fun spread so be sure to get your asses out to Dundurm for the first of this years Events.

Plus HALF PAST DANGER is pretty gosh darn great to read.

And its Half Past Danger and Stephen Mooney related.
    Stephen Mooney's amazing HALF PAST DANGER (which we dare say was one of the best comics of 2013) is getting the deluxe hardcover treatment, and there is no way we'd let that go without making it a thing!

- 29TH OF JANUARY, 6.30 PM, EXCLUSIVELY IN BIG BANG COMICS!

- STEPHEN MOONEY & JORDIE BELLAIRE signing the new HALF PAST DANGER HC (€29.99)!

- EXCLUSIVE BOOKPLATE for the first 100 people in the queue and that are buying the book in our store!

- AND SURE, get them to sign the other single issues you have by them!

- DRINKS AFTERWARDS more than likely!

1017284_10152539308697782_1966431619_n.jpg

The next few weeks are going to be very very busy for the Folks of the Big Bang.
    I am so looking forward to this book, Yes?

1549467_575285379215576_1306863618_n.jpg
    Join us for the return of one of Marvel UK's best character, yes?

Get your comic signed by the one and only Nick Roche, one of the world's best TRANSFORMERS' artist and Ireland's biggest fan of Death's Head.
    (no, seriously, just ask him)

And as always, there will be a print for people buying the comic here at Big Bang Comics Towers while stocks last!

The first 100 people on Saturday at the Revolutionary War: Knights Of Pendragon Launch in Cork at get this lovely print to bring home.
    1797588_10153794784915370_1298449384_n.jpg

The Half past Danger HC Launch last night was just amazing. Great evening even if it was cold and wet.

• Advertisement

So we get a glimpse of the print for the Roche Deaths head signing this Wednesday?

Art by Nick Roche and sweet colours by Josh Burcham
    1795815_586032428140871_1147403105_o.jpg

Nick Roche killed the Big Bang tonight. Totally wrecked the place. Proper Rock and Roll superstar.

Up next for all you Moonknight fans.

1889031_588824147861699_574904522_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/events/286551661492744/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
    5TH OF MARCH, 6PM!
    It's MOON KNIGHT #1 day!

One of the All-New Marvel Now books, MOON KNIGHT is what happens when Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire do sweet, sweet comics magic together!

Check IGN for a preview right here http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/08/moon-knight-1-preview and then do us the pleasure of joining us for another great Big Bang of a night!

Jordie and Dec will be in store for a signing (and feel free to bring some of their other books you might have around) and as always, there is a free print for the first 100 people in the queue that buy the book at the Big Bang (that's us!).

And afterwards, everyone is invited to join us for drinks and merriment of the usual order!

Come along, we promise you won't regret it!

http://www.shamrokon.ie/

This August 22-24, 2014.

Guests include
    Andrzej Sapkowski , Jim Fitzpatrick, Micheal Carroll and George RR Martin

was going to put up MCMs Guest announcements. But Not very enthused by the first 3. Anyone know if they'll have any comic talent at it?
    https://www.facebook.com/IrelandComicCon?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

MarkHall wrote: »
    was going to put up MCMs Guest announcements. But Not very enthused by the first 3. Anyone know if they'll have any comic talent at it?
    https://www.facebook.com/IrelandComicCon?fref=ts
    Im not hopeful about this one at all, They are very slow to give any information , I think the tickets only came online last week. And a quick look at the awful website I cant find a link to "Guests", Clink on the Press/Industry tab and it links You to the wolf of wall street facebook page. If these Guys are calling themselves the Premier Comic expo, Then the Guys at Dublin City comic con are miles ahead of them.

Oh I found the "Guests" A bloke who was in ID4, One of S club 7 and the " Holly" from Red Dwarf when the first Holly Gave Up.
    John Wagner has said that He would like to do a Dublin Event, But cant make D.C.C.In august, Why haven't they asked Him?

Bistoman wrote: »
    Oh I found the "Guests" A bloke who was in ID4, One of S club 7 and the " Holly" from Red Dwarf when the first Holly Gave Up.
    John Wagner has said that He would like to do a Dublin Event, But cant make D.C.C.In august, Why haven't they asked Him?

Cause he might prove costly? And your average person on the street isn't going to be bothered by a name like his. But Semi famous folks off the internets is great.

When the big Bang had Johnathan Ross and Brian hitch over.Do you recall that choas? And 92% of that line wasn't there for Hitchy unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

When the big Bang had Johnathan Ross and Brian hitch over. Do you recall that choas? And 92% of that line wasn't there for Hitchy unfortunately.

Do tell... I only heard about that signing after the event but heard nothing of it other then that a signing took place...?

You know that green area on front of the Big Bang?

That was the Que. Every housewife in the area came out to meet JR.
    Place was jammed. It even made Xpose on TV3.
    They where frothing to see him.

You know that green area on front of the Big Bang?

That was the Que. Every housewife in the area came out to meet JR.
    Place was jammed. It even made Xpose on TV3.
    They where frothing to see him.

Damn! Did they even do the courtesy of buying a comic to have signed?

Is that green area also where DICE is held? I've never been but that's only because I've been away the weekend it's on for the past two years in a row, not for lack of wanting to check it out

Yeah. Where the Ice rink and Marquee go.
    If you've not been I'd recommend heading out This Wednesday evening for the Moonknight Signing.
    One of the Superior shops in Dublin at the moment.
    Plus their Mail order is brilliant.

I've been to the shop alright, just never been around when DICE was on.
    I actually use them for ordering comics via post (which I think I first read about through this forum!) and it's super handy.

Unfortunately I won't be around for the signing on Wednesday night. I have to say that the art for Moon Knight does look pretty impressive and I'm all for the character's look being just a pencil sketch with no colour. Simple but creative.

28th of june in Vicar Strat. Jay and Silent Bob are coming to dublin. With some other bloke.
    You'll have to google it as Iphones suck and I can't make the links work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

7 PM ON APRIL 17TH AT MOVIES@DUNDRUM, COURTESY OF BIG BANG COMIC STORE
    MICHAEL MOLCHER, PR coordinator for Rebellion Publishing (2000AD, Solaris, Abaddon Books, Ravenstone) will be giving a talk packed with top tips about marketing your comic book or novel, completely free!

Our aim is to provide budding creators with the know how to better sell your work and market yourself as a talent, and there's no better man around than Mike to steer you in the right path!

If you want to be a writer or an artist, this is an invaluable opportunity to learn the secrets and the tricks of the trade.

Afterwards, we will promote a get together in the Dundrum House so people can exchange cards and portfolios!

Are you a writer looking for an artist?
    An artist looking for a writer?
    Then you need to be there, no better place to make contacts!

Click the link for more info

It should be a great showing.

• Advertisement

1451382_560755654032537_1581586446_n.jpg

http://animationskillnet.ie/29-03-14-comic-book-art-and-sequential-storytelling/
    Comic Book Art and Sequential Storytelling course
    This Course Will Cover:

The process of drawing a comic strip from a script; how best to convey the visual narrative on the page; pacing, framing, shot-choices and composition.
    Participant Profile:
    Participants should be artists who are interested in pursuing a career creating comic books professionally.

Two great lads who've got a lot to offer to aspiring comic book makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

That looks magnificent. But I saw no mention of inking techniques being covered; they make or break a comic. Which is why so many opt for cartoony styles.

http://www.mcmcomiccon.com/

It looks like the advertising machine has Finally got into gear on this thing, Anyone going?

http://www.irishcomicnews.com/2014/04/news-guest-update-for-mcm-ireland/
    Comic Village guest announced Garth Cremona, 20,000 Leagues, Jenika Ioffreda, Una Gallagher, Subversive Comics, David B. Cooper, Naomi Bolger, Beyond The Bunker, Patrick Brown, Splitting Borders, Ciaran Lucas, T Publications, Anastasia Catris, Romantically Apocalyptic, DestinyBlue, Matthew J Fletcher, Darrin O’Toole, Dustbunny Studios, Emily Peacock, Doctor Geof, Green Monkey Comics, Lightning Strike, Robert Carey Comics, Backwards Burd and comics legend John McCrea.

Some Big comic names have been added to the bill, Anyone know if entry ticket covers Autographs and great and meet? or is it a separate charge ?
    And is it worth getting the Priority Ticket or just get the general entry ticket on the day, Apart from the early entry what is the difference?

I wouldn't say the priority ticket is worth it for this event. Unless you really really wanted to meet one of the guests.

There's not really enough on offer to warrant getting in early or que jumping

I shall be attending one of the days. But I'm conflicted. I really hate the notion of a UK crowd coming over here.

Getting a tad
    They-Took-Our-Jobs.png
    About it all. They really haven't brought anything that the Irish events do not already do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Personally I think it's a bit of a pity they're going for the safe bet and having it in Dublin - given that MCM is trying to massively increase the number of conventions it holds, and that Dublin is already well-served for conventions in Ireland, I would have been more impressed if they made an effort to bring a con of their size and scale to somewhere else in the country. I understand the practicalities, but it does make it kind of pointless given that there are already Irish conventions doing much of what they do - though I guess their argument will be about the relative scale...

Well they are doing Belfast. Couldn't agree more. But it makes sense to aim for the capital.

I honestly don't think it would have happened if The Dublin comic con Hadn't done so well last year.
    I am glad to see them finally putting up some names and the such cause it was a tad light on the guest front till this week.

I do hope that those going to the comic village do well out of it. And I think much like DCC it'll be the non "Hardcomic" fan that turns out in force for this. Which was one of the best things to see with DCC last year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well they are doing Belfast. Couldn't agree more. But it makes sense to aim for the capital.

I honestly don't think it would have happened if The Dublin comic con Hadn't done so well last year.
    I am glad to see them finally putting up some names and the such cause it was a tad light on the guest front till this week.

I do hope that those going to the comic village do well out of it. And I think much like DCC it'll be the non "Hardcomic" fan that turns out in force for this. Which was one of the best things to see with DCC last year.

To be honest, the last couple of times I've been to MCM in London it's been much more of a pop-culture convention that happens to incorporate some comics stuff than a comic con. To my mind, this is a good thing - a lot of cons go for a very insular approach in how they choose guests and events which limits how much they can interest casual visits, whereas the best cons I've been to have been the ones that can cater to a wider audience.

Of course, whether this is an improvement or not depends on how much you like/are interested in the non-comics stuff they've got...

From the horses mouth, I asked Glen Fabry on facebook yesterday, He said Autographs are free, Doodles are free and sketches are £10 (€) ? up to £150 for a drawing.
    Not bad when You think what an unknown will charge at a tourist attraction.
    Time to dig up some old 2000AD's and Cirsis back issues to get singed. And a couple of Preachers as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Anyone going to Comic Con in the RDS this weekend?

Advertisement