Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English, Scottish or Irish? a Weegie puzzle

• 07-09-2007 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone give me a steer on the origin of an ancient Glasgow slogan, as I've accidentally become embroiled in a bit of a debate, and pints are at stake.

It's over the etymology of "Tongs, Ya Bass!" ( ©The Calton Tongs) which has been narrowed down to the first part, the gang name, being a nod to chinese criminals as role models (although there are other, wilder notions), and the second, equally opaque part having two competing explanations.

It's a contraction of an English obscenity, "you bas****"

Or, it's a mangled remnant of some (conveniently) obscure Gàidhlig term unknown to anyone I've asked who might be in a position to know, so given the history of the town, I thought the best place to look would be across the water, to Gaeilge, and all I could come up with was "faigh bás!"

Does that work? Pronunciation-wise?
    The offending phrase has in the past been the occasion of much argument, executed with sharp pens, and red ink; please be gentle with me, I have no gaelic:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In the Donegal dialect (northern), which is much more similar to Scots, it'd would be pronounced "Fay behhss*", in the west and south, it would be more of a "Fie bawss". It means "Die", as sort of an imperative command.

* the ehh bit is to be pronounces as ehhhh, the sound made when one ponders on something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UncleVer

Ooh, action! Wasn't expecting such a quick reply (may I beg indulgence over any late-night-Friday-stylee typing?).

Thanks very much, obl, it looks like it could be a goer.

The setting in which it was (is? God forbid!) used would have been remarkably similar to the opening scenes of "Gangs of New York", although the participants would be younger.

In such a situation, your explanation makes perfect sense, as a terse and accurate retort to any witless yodelling along the lines of " Hullo, hullo, we are the Billy Boys....the Brigton Billeee Boyyyyzz!" from the parties of the second part.

Given that all involved would be unlikely to be native gaelic speakers, second generation at best, and indeed probably illiterate in all languages, and the aggravating factors of at least a litre of Eldorado, Lanliq or Tennent's and extreme agitation have to be taken into account, I think a good case can be made despite the wayward pronunciation. My money would be on the more southern sound.

Thank you again (BTW is that Rory?)

Advertisement