Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Si_zx10r

thats true, I am going to get back training again this week, suppose only oct and nov until its results week for the majority of us. I think with fast track, I started piecing things together as to what I missed on the day and it feels like alot 😂. I think my mindset changed due to negativity from people around me also, my dad always put me off applying saying I'm the wrong this and the wrong that and have no hope. I decided this year, I was going to give him 2 fingers and prove that I could do it. Its something I always wanted to do but self doubt had stopped me before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    thats true, I am going to get back training again this week, suppose only oct and nov until its results week for the majority of us. I think with fast track, I started piecing things together as to what I missed on the day and it feels like alot 😂. I think my mindset changed due to negativity from people around me also, my dad always put me off applying saying I'm the wrong this and the wrong that and have no hope. I decided this year, I was going to give him 2 fingers and prove that I could do it. Its something I always wanted to do but self doubt had stopped me before now.

That's the attitude. FWIW, your dad likely has a pretty old school idea of what a peeler is. Stay positive, keep at it.

MrChew wrote: »
    That's the attitude. FWIW, your dad likely has a pretty old school idea of what a peeler is. Stay positive, keep at it.

thats exactly the issue, I tried to explain its 2020 not 1980 but may aswell bang my head on a wall. Lol hopefully all good news soon, did you get on fast track yourself?

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    thats exactly the issue, I tried to explain its 2020 not 1980 but may aswell bang my head on a wall. Lol hopefully all good news soon, did you get on fast track yourself?

I did, aye. Tbh, as much as I'd like to say it's brought me a bit of peace of mind, it's also made it very clear that there are still plenty of things that can go wrong between now and induction. Passing the AC is great but there's still a way to go.

I did, aye. Tbh, as much as I'd like to say it's brought me a bit of peace of mind, it's also made it very clear that there are still plenty of things that can go wrong between now and induction. Passing the AC is great but there's still a way to go.

congrats, keep fit and healthy and you shouldnt have too much to worry about. Its really just pca and medical/substance missuse and vetting done in background. Good to see the process progressing also after months of delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Well lads long time no see.
    Still waiting for my date to come up for the AC.
    im hoping the rest of us have a chance for fast track still aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

KN1231999 wrote: »
    Well lads long time no see.
    Still waiting for my date to come up for the AC.
    im hoping the rest of us have a chance for fast track still aswell.

Hopfully it will go well for you it's been a long wait for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

Anybody got any idea how much laser eye surgery costs? Considering it as my eyes aren’t the best. Also how hard is the PCA? I’m pretty active and have played sports all my life, will it be difficult?

rhino100 wrote: »
    Anybody got any idea how much laser eye surgery costs? Considering it as my eyes aren’t the best. Also how hard is the PCA? I’m pretty active and have played sports all my life, will it be difficult?

It depends greatly on where you go and what you get/need done. Lasek can be as little as 600 per eye, but has a longer recovery time. Lasik can be anywhere from 1200 to 2000 per eye for the fancier treatments, but has a shorter recovery time. Your first stop should be your optician to see if you meet the 6/36 eyesight requirement if you wear glasses, or the full 6/6 requirement if you don't.

There is a video of the PCA course on the recruitment website. I've heard that it is more difficult than it appears and I've heard of reasonably fit people saying they found it challenging enough. With that said, that was with the older time limits of 3:56 and 3:42. This year the limit is 4:30 which is much more forgiving. Still, I wouldn't underestimate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

It depends greatly on where you go and what you get/need done. Lasek can be as little as 600 per eye, but has a longer recovery time. Lasik can be anywhere from 1200 to 2000 per eye for the fancier treatments, but has a shorter recovery time. Your first stop should be your optician to see if you meet the 6/36 eyesight requirement if you wear glasses, or the full 6/6 requirement if you don't.

There is a video of the PCA course on the recruitment website. I've heard that it is more difficult than it appears and I've heard of reasonably fit people saying they found it challenging enough. With that said, that was with the older time limits of 3:56 and 3:42. This year the limit is 4:30 which is much more forgiving. Still, I wouldn't underestimate it.

In terms of eye test- are you tested with your contacts/glasses? Or without? It’s hard to understand to guidance set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Wyl91 wrote: »
    In terms of eye test- are you tested with your contacts/glasses? Or without? It’s hard to understand to guidance set

You do 6 different eye tests.
    Glasses on- right eye, left eye, both eyes
    Glasses off- right eye, left eye, both eyes

But glasses off the only one that counts is both eyes together

Glasses off/Unaided both eyes- 6/36

Glasses on both eyes- 6/6
    Glasses on Good eye only- 6/7.5
    Glasses on Bad eye only- 6/12

Wyl91 wrote: »

Edit - tashbash has answered this well.

I'd add, if you have any concerns, go see your optician and check that you meet the 6/36 requirement in the first instance. I was considering laser eye surgery but saw my optician today and she said I can meet the 6/36 requirement comfortably, and that she'd be prepared to support me in any appeal should I fail on those grounds. Therefore I am not going ahead with eye surgery - I was concerned about recovery time and the impact it would have on my training for the PCA. Really, you just need to meet the bare minimum. As a fellow fast tracker, we'll have enough to be worrying about over the next few months without throwing laser eye surgery into the mix if at all possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Thank you both very helpful. I’ve got an appointment booked with my optician for next week so I’ll check that out first before I consider any options. Hoping I can avoid the need for anything but I really can’t tell how my eyes will compare to those requirements but I don’t think my eye sight is awful either.

Ha. Yes. Many things to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

Just got vetting forms in the post. A lot to fill out lol.

Exciting! My post is atrocious, hoping to get them soon.

Out of interest, have you had any email communications from PSNI HR since being fast tracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcztg_93

Out of interest, have you had any email communications from PSNI HR since being fast tracked?

I haven’t heard anything yet. I got my forms through this morning also.

Mcztg_93 wrote: »
    I haven’t heard anything yet. I got my forms through this morning also.

Cheers, was just pondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Try and get them posted back asap, when I got mine I spent the rest of the day filling them out and had it back in the post the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Try and get them posted back asap, when I got mine I spent the rest of the day filling them out and had it back in the post the next day.

How long before you heard back?

• Advertisement

sharon1986 wrote: »
    How long before you heard back?

It's different for everybody but mine took about 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcztg_93

NornIron74 wrote: »
    It's different for everybody but mine took about 3 months

Was the vetting the last thing you were waiting on then before waiting for GV call?

Mcztg_93 wrote: »
    Was the vetting the last thing you were waiting on then before waiting for GV call?

SMT and vetting passed the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cat1117

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice please. I found out last week that I’ve been fastracked and I was absolutely thrilled with this information as I wasn’t expecting it at all! I left the AC with so many doubts and felt that I could have done better so it was such a pleasant surprise for me. The problem is however is that circumstances at the moment are a bit chaotic and in the next few months I am extremely busy with personal commitments. I’m wondering if I would be able to turn down fast track but still progress on with everyone else in December? Does any one know if it would even be possible to turn it down? Or if it would affect my ML position? Really worried about this as I still 100% want to progress forward but the timing is tricky atm!

Cat1117 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice please. I found out last week that I’ve been fastracked and I was absolutely thrilled with this information as I wasn’t expecting it at all! I left the AC with so many doubts and felt that I could have done better so it was such a pleasant surprise for me. The problem is however is that circumstances at the moment are a bit chaotic and in the next few months I am extremely busy with personal commitments. I’m wondering if I would be able to turn down fast track but still progress on with everyone else in December? Does any one know if it would even be possible to turn it down? Or if it would affect my ML position? Really worried about this as I still 100% want to progress forward but the timing is tricky atm!

When you get a date for pca if you won't be able to attend because you have something else on you shouldn't have any issues getting a different date. Just send them an email to let them know and they will work with you to get a suitable date.

Got my vetting docs through this morning, not as bad as I expected tbh.

I've only had a cursory glance through them but I was expecting to have to submit a photo when I returned them, yet the form doesn't seem to ask for it. Is that usual?

Got my vetting docs through this morning, not as bad as I expected tbh.

I've only had a cursory glance through them but I was expecting to have to submit a photo when I returned them, yet the form doesn't seem to ask for it. Is that usual?

No photos needed for vetting, you will need picture ID for pca and medical

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

3 months? You lucky duck lol. Yours could have cleared 3 times over with the length of time mine has been away haha.

The only vetting forms I submitted a photo with was my CDO vetting forms. I can't remember the PC vetting forms asking for a photo. If they did I didn't see it.

Thanks folks!

• Advertisement

Hey everyone, is anyone else still in the recruitment process and doing there assessment In the nee few days? Feels like I’ve done s**t when there’s others fast tracked etc? How did everyone get on in this years assessment?

Advertisement