Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

With regards the Beyond 2022 Project, I see there was another online research showcase and demonstration yesterday.
    Titled "PRONI and the Creation of Ireland’s Virtual Record Treasury"

I missed it so I am trying to find a way to watch it back.
    Did anybody watch this? Was anything mentioned with regards a recorded copy for watching back? I have looked through the @beyond_2022 twitter page but haven't seen anything.

If you watched it, was it good? Anything new/interesting mentioned?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've been to 2 talks about it this year and they're all quite similar.

I don't think we'll see updates for a while.

Here's the talk they gave the IGRS last month.
    https://www.irishancestors.ie/beyond-2022-lecture/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone with any knowledge of how the digitisation of C of I records is progressing?

I know they had started but it's surely been massively delayed by covid.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Possibly more suited to the history forum but any recommended reading for what life was like in inner city Dublin in the late 1800s/early 1900s? Open to historical fiction books as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

mindhorn wrote: »
    Possibly more suited to the history forum but any recommended reading for what life was like in inner city Dublin in the late 1800s/early 1900s? Open to historical fiction books as well.

For non-fiction your best bet would be to ask in any Dublin city library, or even in the National Library (although not being in Dublin myself, I have no idea if any are open. I don't even know if you are there!) You could ask in the main history forum or search if the question has been discussed before. Try a search as well on the likes of Goodreads, Archive.org, or Google Books.

As for fiction, the one that springs to mind immediately is Strumpet City. Sean O'Casey's plays as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I don't suppose anyone has heard any word of the deaths being put online back to 1864 on Irishgenealogy.ie? The wait is becoming interminable. I don't know how many times I've read someone being quoted as saying 'soon' in the last few years.

Yes, ask in the history forum please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

mod9maple wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone has heard any word of the deaths being put online back to 1864 on Irishgenealogy.ie? The wait is becoming interminable. I don't know how many times I've read someone being quoted as saying 'soon' in the last few years.

A lot of GRO staff were seconded for contact tracing work, so I'd say it's further away than it was.

The GRO reading room is even closed under the current Dublin restrictions. I had ordered an early death from them and got an out of office. I'm deciding whether to order from Roscommon. The last one I tried there took weeks and when I rang to ask, they were quite snotty.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Joyce's Ulysses gives a great flavour of the City at the turn of the century and the RTE dramatisation really brings the work to life.

It's freely available at the Internet Archive if anyone's interested.

There are terms I've only come across in genealogy - words like phthisis and messuages - whose pronunciation I wasn't sure of till I'd listened to the great work.

There's even a brief description of someone's genealogy in it but I'm struggling to find the reference.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir (who aren't allowed sing together) at the moment, but a reminder that if you are interested or know someone who might be, I'm teaching a genealogy class both in person and remotely starting next week in Malahide.

Booking & details here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

An excellent class and highly recommended.... Have learned so much and have found so many ancestors with your help

Has anyone else experience a side of the family which doesn't appear in any Roots Ireland records?
    My Brady branch from Caherhurley, Clare all appear in Irish Genealogy Civil records but when I look on Roots Ireland nothing turns up.
    I was looking for any baptism records, but I find it strange that even the Civil records aren't there when they are on IrishGenealogy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Roots Ireland do not have particularly good coverage in Clare.

L1011 wrote: »
    Roots Ireland do not have particularly good coverage in Clare.
    Beginning to find that out unfortunately.
    I have been lucky up to the start of civil records c. 1860s but was hoping that Roots could help get a bit further back.

Clare Library has a lot online though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Has anyone else experience a side of the family which doesn't appear in any Roots Ireland records?
    My Brady branch from Caherhurley, Clare all appear in Irish Genealogy Civil records but when I look on Roots Ireland nothing turns up.
    I was looking for any baptism records, but I find it strange that even the Civil records aren't there when they are on IrishGenealogy.

Have you tried the parish registers at NLI.ie?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Have you tried the parish registers at NLI.ie?

I have indeed, and have been able to link most of the civil births to baptism records through NLI.ie.
    I prefer how Roots has transcribed these records however as it allows searching to maybe find siblings/relatives I haven't found via civil records.

Are you aware there are transcriptions of the NLI records at Find My Past and Ancestry and Find My Past don't require a subscription.

I don't like Roots because they are overpriced for what they offer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7 murf96

I suggest you also check out the free transcriptions on the Clare Library site at:
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_tran/bmd/kilnoe-tuamgraney_parish_baptism_records.htm

• Advertisement

murf96 wrote: »
    I suggest you also check out the free transcriptions on the Clare Library site at:
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_tran/bmd/kilnoe-tuamgraney_parish_baptism_records.htm

Amazing stuff, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

It feels frustrating that my 3x great grandmother's maiden name is just out of reach. She died in 1865 and her cause of death was recorded as child birth. However, I can't find any birth or death record for the child so they must have been stillborn. My other possibility is a marriage of her son in 1902 but his wife's parish didn't tend to record the mothers' names on the marriage record so I'm not too hopeful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't marry or have kids baptised in a parish with good earlier records?

I'm a bit spoilt with Nenagh going to 1798 on one branch, and some others in a parish with the neatest handwriting *and an index - albeit the Nenagh filming is awful.

L1011 wrote: »
    Didn't marry or have kids baptised in a parish with good earlier records?

I'm a bit spoilt with Nenagh going to 1798 on one branch, and some others in a parish with the neatest handwriting *and an index - albeit the Nenagh filming is awful.

No, the parish records don't go back any earlier than 1865. I only know of 4 of her children. The three daughters were married in the same parish (Kilcorkey) while her son's first marriage was in the neighbouring parish of Elphin but no mothers were recorded. His second marriage was in Ballinameen but I haven't actually seen that marriage record yet.

I was lucky for a different 3x great grandmother that by the 1880s the parish seemed to record mothers' names on marriages. Her maiden name was recorded for two of her children's marriages in the 1880s in Kilcorkey. I would have the maiden name of the previously mentioned ancestor if her son had married in Kilcorkey since his first marriage was in the 1890s. The only reason that I have the name of another 3x great grandmother in Kilcorkey is because of family notes, passed down stories mentioning her and her maiden was recorded on her headstone. I only know her husband's name from family notes but, other than that, I don't have any records to verify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    No, the parish records don't go back any earlier than 1865.

Sounds like Tulsk.

tabbey wrote: »
    Sounds like Tulsk.

Yes, Tulsk has that problem as well. Tulsk is right beside my ancestors' parish of Kilcorkey so it's a bit of a problem in the area. Ballinameen which neighbours Kilcorkey started their records in 1859 so it isn't much better. Luckily, most of my ancestors were from Kilkeevin parish and their records go back to 1804 with some gap years.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Standard search for the firstborn is looking nine months after the marriage date but came across one record last night where the marriage took place in February and their child was born in May. Shouldn't strike me as odd but first time I've come across this when researching.

Really? Literally every family I've worked on has had at least one example.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Standard search for the firstborn is looking nine months after the marriage date but came across one record last night where the marriage took place in February and their child was born in May. Shouldn't strike me as odd but first time I've come across this when researching.

There were lots of births before the nine months expectation.
    My own maternal grandmother was a most formal, hyper respectable person. I was taken aback when I saw she gave birth six months after her marriage. In 1908 it was impossible for a child to survive after just six months in the womb.
    Going back further, we cannot expect people in the early 1800s to have had Victorian values, life was more relaxed then.

• Advertisement

I was surprised when I saw it for my great grandparents. They married on 12th February 1914 and their first child was born on 23rd April 1914. Unfortunately, the child only lived for 12 hours. What surprised me was that they waited so long to get married. I thought that they would have married as soon as they knew she was pregnant. I suppose that some women can go a long time without realising that they're pregnant so maybe that was a part of the reason. It was tradition to marry around that time of year too.

Advertisement