Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Rewatching the game. We would have been better off if Mikey Cahill wasn't sent off. We had his number throughout that first half

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭deise man

Looking at the point where the umpire waved it wide but the ref overruled him. Seamus Callinan was in a good position to see where it went. His reaction showed that he thought it was wide. And that was before the umpire waved it wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

The same 6 forwards that started today must be the same that start the next day. They did UNTOLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Terrible crowd of just over 10,000 today, really hope lots more people travel next weekend. In fairness, there was a decent atmosphere up there for the small crowd.

What happened with the “goal” I’m not even going to talk about it because I don’t want to make myself angry again. It was an absolute disgrace and could (probably will) cost us big time.

The hurling we played for the first 45 minutes was exceptional and everyone was putting in a shift. We looked strong and didn’t look like letting up. Then Brick one mistake and we were punished for it. From then the whole thing changed and the heads scrambled a bit. We went over 15 mins with no score either that is a huge problem. We find it very hard to close out a game and we were 11 points up and doing all the hurling. The refs decisions cost us bit time and it’s so unfair on all the players.

Big performances from Devine, Foran, Roche was brilliant I thought, Paudi exceptional and hopefully his performance today shut those who don’t rate him up. Today’s team was exciting and some of the skill on show was brilliant to see.

Hopefully what happened today will spur on the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Special mention for Conor Gleason on his performance yesterday, he was fantastic.

• Advertisement

Have to agree to the comments regarding the crowd. Really disappointing showing. Remember the big scramble for tickets late August last year? Where were they all yesterday. At least those that were there really got behind both teams.

I thought that once again the lack of match practice afforded to our squad defenders in the league came back to bite us yesterday. On a searing hot day in what was a very energy sapping day we only made one defensive substitution when Connors picked up a knock. Brick played a full 77 mins yesterday at his age seemed to tire later on.

In all the hysteria about the seniors, let's not forget an incredible performance from the minors. Mid way through the second half looking at a hammering with the score 3-8 to 0-5 they come back to win by a point. We were staring at the very real possibility of another heavy defeat and then most likely two more defeats to follow but they pulled themselves up and along with some very good subs got the win. What a lift for everyone present including I imagine the senior team. Mikey Kiely absolutely outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Lads to be fair, I was in Ennis and Limerick the past two weeks but I don't blame people for staying away. Thst game should never have been in Limerick, ludicrous decision when Nowlan Park was available.

If they can play Leinster hurling in Galway, they can play Munster in Kilkenny. And that whatever about the County board, it was no faul of the players, supporters or management that they had to play in Limerick yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Deiselurker

A lot of Waterford fans who go to all the championship games wouldn't go to Limerick yesterday as felt it was unfair the game was fixed for there. The Munster council should have shown some flexibility and fixed game for Kilkenny or Thurles or offered Waterford fans a deal for cheap tickets. Fair play to the fans who did travel and after yesterday there will be more there next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I just can't give up four Sundays in a row. I have young kids and with the weather forecast decided to stay home and wreck the back garden with them. If we had two home games people would only have to travel twice. Having to go to Ennis and then limerick twice is a huge ask for fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

KevIRL wrote: »
    In all the hysteria about the seniors, let's not forget an incredible performance from the minors. Mid way through the second half looking at a hammering with the score 3-8 to 0-5 they come back to win by a point. We were staring at the very real possibility of another heavy defeat and then most likely two more defeats to follow but they pulled themselves up and along with some very good subs got the win. What a lift for everyone present including I imagine the senior team. Mikey Kiely absolutely outstanding

Yes great comeback by the minors, that lad with the green helmet (no 17?) had a great game. Showed great courage and heart to come back. Tipp helped by taking off some of their best forwards when they thought the game was won. It's a blow to Tommy Dunnes future aspirations.

The seniors were fantastic considering the players out, the injuries to some playing and all the other obstacles put in their way. Yes they faded and should have seen it out but yesterdays enforced changes will stand to us in the future. Shane Roche has a solid game, DJ Foran got stuck in and showed that he is capable of playing at this level-I had doubts about him until yesterday.
    When you consider next year we will probably have Shane and Kieran Bennett, Darragh Lyons and Conor Prunty to come into it we have plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭flatty

Hard luck lads. Ye were very hard done by. Fwiw, full gas, I think ye will give limerick plenty of it.

A lot of Waterford fans who go to all the championship games wouldn't go to Limerick yesterday as felt it was unfair the game was fixed for there. The Munster council should have shown some flexibility and fixed game for Kilkenny or Thurles or offered Waterford fans a deal for cheap tickets. Fair play to the fans who did travel and after yesterday there will be more there next week.

That's a poor excuse or just poor form considering management and officals pleading with supporters to get out and support the team Sunday. I know some people have personal circumstances that wouldn't allow them attend, but when you look back at all the 'diehard' supporters desperately seeking tickets for the AI final and then compare the numbers there for a crucial championship game yesterday, something isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The game been on TV was another reason for the poor attendance

Even more annoyed about the result now waking up today

KevIRL wrote: »
    That's a poor excuse or just poor form considering management and officals pleading with supporters to get out and support the team Sunday. I know some people have personal circumstances that wouldn't allow them attend, but when you look back at all the 'diehard' supporters desperately seeking tickets for the AI final and then compare the numbers there for a crucial championship game yesterday, something isn't right.

Piss poor form from people not travelling. The journey should be no excuse, it’s less than 2 hours drive to Limerick. Croke Park is a longer drive up and down factoring in traffic. I personally know lots of people who were the first to get All Ireland final tickets last September but they’ve refused to travel this year. I asked would they go to the All Ireland final again if Waterford got there and the answer I got was a resounding yes. It’s a joke and the crowd would have had an influence on the Last 10 minutes yesterday. The noise coming from the main stand over to the open one was deafening with 10 mins to go - all Tipp.

I wish people would cop on and realise that they’re going to the game to support their team - their county. Lots of people need to realise that games can’t be fixed to suit them, there has to be some sort of sacrifice and if a 2 hour drive up to Limerick is too much of a sacrifice for people then it isn’t good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Huge performance, very unlucky. Good chance of getting 2 wins, but never easy. Just one point about the goal, and the unfairness of it. The team get lots of stick, fair or unfair, but train hard and do everything as best they can. Produce a fantastic effort, and its ruined by a blind man who didn't know what he was doing. Who is the chap, and what's he at? Whoever he is that was not the place for him, but we all know that nothing will come of it, the result is in, move ahead and go again the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Motivator wrote: »
    Piss poor form from people not travelling. The journey should be no excuse, it’s less than 2 hours drive to Limerick. Croke Park is a longer drive up and down factoring in traffic. I personally know lots of people who were the first to get All Ireland final tickets last September but they’ve refused to travel this year. I asked would they go to the All Ireland final again if Waterford got there and the answer I got was a resounding yes. It’s a joke and the crowd would have had an influence on the Last 10 minutes yesterday. The noise coming from the main stand over to the open one was deafening with 10 mins to go - all Tipp.

I wish people would cop on and realise that they’re going to the game to support their team - their county. Lots of people need to realise that games can’t be fixed to suit them, there has to be some sort of sacrifice and if a 2 hour drive up to Limerick is too much of a sacrifice for people then it isn’t good enough.

That last paragraph is utter horlix.

Gavlor wrote: »
    That last paragraph is utter horlix.

Explain why?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

The phantom goal should have galvanised Waterford more but they fell apart. Derek might be regretting not blooding more players in the league now.
    A big ask next week again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭decies

Right i notice the elephant in the room is not being addressed here , will come back to that . I was amongst the season ticket holders in limerick yesterday but this stupid new format has us royally screwed and i for one wouldn't blame anybody for not getting to all the AWAY games. All credit to the lads for that terrific start and beginning of second half it shows we have the talent and when we go for it we are as good as anybody out there !! Right Elephant in the room time , yes we were screwed over by the officials which proved crucial in the end . But the facts are we had what should have been a winning lead and we didn't get the job done. We have been here many times before other times we have got away with it . At the end of the day it comes down to cool heads for the last 15 mins and most importantly good man management from the sidelines. This needs to be addressed by all concerned or we will continue to fall short at regular intervals . I will be back to that god forsaken place next sunday shouting encouragement from the stands but please address these shortcomings for which is now a must win game !! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

decies wrote: »
    Right i notice the elephant in the room is not being addressed here , will come back to that . I was amongst the season ticket holders in limerick yesterday but this stupid new format has us royally screwed and i for one wouldn't blame anybody for not getting to all the AWAY games. All credit to the lads for that terrific start and beginning of second half it shows we have the talent and when we go for it we are as good as anybody out there !! Right Elephant in the room time , yes we were screwed over by the officials which proved crucial in the end . But the facts are we had what should have been a winning lead and we didn't get the job done. We have been here many times before other times we have got away with it . At the end of the day it comes down to cool heads for the last 15 mins and most importantly good man management from the sidelines. This needs to be addressed by all concerned or we will continue to fall short at regular intervals . I will be back to that god forsaken place next sunday shouting encouragement from the stands but please address these shortcomings for which is now a must win game !! Cheers

See i'd be inclined to look at it the other way. You have an injury hit team playing the all Ireland champions of two years ago whom we haven't come close to beating since 2008. In the last 20 minutes every decision that could have gone against Waterford did. Even forgetting the goal I genuinely thought a lot of very very soft frees were given to tipp which pulled them right back into the match. I thought they performed very well under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭decies

JeffKenna wrote: »
    decies wrote: »

See i'd be inclined to look at it the other way. You have an injury hit team playing the all Ireland champions of two years ago whom we haven't come close to beating since 2008. In the last 20 minutes every decision that could have gone against Waterford did. Even forgetting the goal I genuinely thought a lot of very very soft frees were given to tipp which pulled them right back into the match. I thought they performed very well under the circumstances.

All points very valid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Just looking at the free count from yesterday, Tipp had three times more frees over the course of the game, a very strange statistic in a Munster championship game. It seemed a free was awarded every time the ball entered our third in the last 15 mins, yet Austin was pulled up for a fair shoulder and had what looked to be a point chalked off at a crucial stage of the game. Personally I think the ref and linesmen bottled it under pressure from the Tipp support - they had an unbelievably vocal support in the Mackey Stand (illustrating the clear disadvantage we have playing 'home' games in Limerick) and were demanding a decision every time there was a 50/50 ball. A group of Tipp fans even tried to convince me they were robbed and that Shane Fives' block from Forde's free had crossed the line!!! Deluded or otherwise, that sort of passion in the stands feeds down to the pitch.

All things told we have reasons to be optimistic for next weekend but the lads need more support and deserve it after their efforts yesterday.

All things told we have reasons to be optimistic for next weekend but the lads need more support and deserve it after their efforts yesterday.

I think this is very important, next weekend it could be a case of 40,000 Limerick supporters against probably 1 or 2,000 from Waterford. It will be like playing against Galatasaray!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Motivator wrote: »
    Explain why?

there is an obligation on the county board officers to ensure the gaa is run efficiently and for the benefit of its members. Convenient venues would form part of that hell even a decent home venue. Being the only set of supporters being asked to travel to the furthest possible hurling venue in Munster is an absolute disgrace. It should be made as easy as possible for Waterford fans to support the team, what has happened is the polar opposite. It’s meant to be a fun experience not an expedition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How are we all this morning?

Not even a Blaa and still miffed over the result.

---

Has there ever been any serious consideration to playing in Nowlan Park or Wexford Park rather than having ye traverse the province to Limerick for a home game?

Whatever about Walsh Park not being up to snuff, surely something could have been done with those bastions of virtue to the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fatigue is going to start to hit us I feel, were playing Limerick who were off 2 weeks ago (and have had an extra days rest) and then a Cork team who have next weekend off. It's how the management team manage this

I hope that the collapse most of us predicted would happen yesterday doesn't happen next weekend. A win yesterday would of meant the Cork game on the last day would of of been winner takes all.

Do we go all out again next week or go back to a kind of defensive system again ??

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Deiselurker

Waterford wanted yesterday's game in Kilkenny but the Munster council refused to allow a game outside the province so Waterford fans were faced with a journey up the N24 again as Cork wasn't available because of Cork city marathon and I believe Thurles was ruled out as Tipp would have got 3 home games giving them an advantage. By not showing up in big numbers hopefully the Munster council learned a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Waterford wanted yesterday's game in Kilkenny but the Munster council refused to allow a game outside the province so Waterford fans were faced with a journey up the N24 again as Cork wasn't available because of Cork city marathon and I believe Thurles was ruled out as Tipp would have got 3 home games giving them an advantage. By not showing up in big numbers hopefully the Munster council learned a lesson.

Thanks. I had wondered.

Glad to see some cooperation with themuns above ye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement