Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Breitling Navitimer/Rolex Daytona etc. etc.

Though not sure if you could take a DW out on a spacewalk - would need some electromagnetic protection I think (why only the closed caseback Speedmasters are certified with the extra anti-magnetic protection).

The Speedmaster/Seamaster has appeal to Westerners - no so much for the Asian market though where Constellation sells best.

I think the issue is more them shattering/exploding/imploding and sending debris more than anything to do with timekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In a vacuum I think the most internal pressure that will be exerted is the 1ATM - since presumably the watches are cased at sea level on Earth and in a vacuum the difference would be 1ATM - something that watches should be able to handle a lot easier than say the 300ATM positive pressure a watch would experience at 3000m underwater for example.

I'd think shattering should be a relatively low concern in space (though I'm sure the plastic hesalite would be better than sapphire in that case too - doubt sapphire would shatter at 1ATM pressure on the bottom side when it can handle 5-20ATM on the topside.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I was thinking maybe i should post something relating to watches :o

Have not forgotten about my pilots watch,no word from Crystal Jewelers as to be expected with whats going on,look forward to getting it back.Also haven't learned much more about,going to wait till i get it back so i will be able to take more pictures.Cannot believe it is already been nearly 3 months since i was in Prague outside Old Clocks, clawing at the shutter waiting to get in

iirwpcX.jpg

08P95m0.jpg

Still continue now and then to check Ebay for the Omega Mariner,found these and wondered are they from the same family or another fake? [Link],[Link]

ee8jnM3.jpg

UDAdtcU.jpg

Also recently watched a video comparing the Bell-Matic to the Memomatic

Interesting to see that the Memomatic makes a compromise in the strength of the alarm noise in order to have the alarm spring be wound automatically.If i ever meet a Memomatic owner i can always say"Mine is louder" :D.Fantastic watch,originally a Lemania watch with a Caliber 2980 movement

hCfpKwT.jpg

Omega made the Memomatic with the Caliber 980

LPjc1QO.jpg

Here is an example of both currently on Ebay Lemania [Link],Omega [Link].Great PDF file with the different models of the Memomatic [Link to PDF Download]

Even though Omega clams to be able to set to the exact minute it apparently isn't any more accurate than the Bell-Matic,nice piece Richard Askham did on it [Link],given the difference in price,cannot go wrong with Seiko.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In some very wallet friendly (for me at least) news today.

The guy who is servicing/refurbing the astronaut just emailed me to confirm that no parts are needed :D

So just the service charge and it will be with me in a couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Hi, I have a Tag Heuer Link Calibre S whose battery is dead for the last few years. It is no longer my day to day watch so I don’t want to send to Tag Heuer or get a full service. Is there someone in Ireland who can replace the battery and reseal it at a reasonable cost?

I am in Dublin, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi, I have a Tag Heuer Link Calibre S whose battery is dead for the last few years. It is no longer my day to day watch so I don’t want to send to Tag Heuer or get a full service. Is there someone in Ireland who can replace the battery and reseal it at a reasonable cost?

I am in Dublin, thanks.

Try watchfix.ie

Btw - if a battery has been dead for a few years and you know you're going to get it resealed professionally I would really suggest opening up the caseback and removing the battery. Those lithium cells can oxidise and leak - if they do then it might be a movement replacement rather than just a simple battery swap. Might be worth opening up and removing the battery asap.

Archer is a very respected watch servicer and warns about leaving batteries in watches (especially if coming up to end of life):
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/extend-your-quartz-watch-battery-life-2662466-3.html

• Thirdfox wrote: »
    Those lithium cells can oxidise and leak
    Lithium cells generally don't leak. It's the alkaline and silver-oxide cells which are leak-prone. You can tell chemistry by the first letter of the cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cienciano wrote: »
    Omega and space is the most tiresome shít in the watch industry. Following just behind is Omega and James Bond.

Blame NASA for the former and Broccoli for the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

Marcusm wrote: »
    Blame NASA for the former and Broccoli for the latter.

Are you sure it wasn't cauliflower? Sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lithium cells generally don't leak. It's the alkaline and silver-oxide cells which are leak-prone. You can tell chemistry by the first letter of the cell.

And lithium in watches would probably mostly be used in kinetic / solar watches. As these recharge the battery

• unkel wrote: »
    And lithium in watches would probably mostly be used in kinetic / solar watches. As these recharge the battery
    You're thinking of lithium-ion.

I'm talking about primary (non-rechargeable) lithium cells. The common CR cells (CR2016, 2025 etc). Lithium button cells are 3V instead of 1.5V so typically used in watches that have a chronograph, alarm, backlight etc. These cells generally don't leak.

You're spot on again, Johnathan Faithful Kiwi. Where does your knowledge about batteries come from if I may ask?

• Ah it's fairly basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    In some very wallet friendly (for me at least) news today.

The guy who is servicing/refurbing the astronaut just emailed me to confirm that no parts are needed :D

So just the service charge and it will be with me in a couple of weeks!

Premature celebration lads :(

Got news today that whilst the movement passed on the test equipment, that it still wasn't running.
    Replacement coils and resistor to be added to service.

Oh well, still it will be here soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

You're thinking of lithium-ion.

I'm talking about primary (non-rechargeable) lithium cells. The common CR cells (CR2016, 2025 etc). Lithium button cells are 3V instead of 1.5V so typically used in watches that have a chronograph, alarm, backlight etc. These cells generally don't leak.

Semi related tale.

I bought a watch whilst away in Cyprus to get married. Nothing special, a CAT quartz fashion watch (day, date and chrono) with a resin strap but I loved it. Was rarely taken off until the strap perished.

Went looking for a replacement but it's a mix between a bund and a central lug design so there was nothing I could do at the time to wear it again.

Back of a drawer and left for 5-7 years.

Coming up to a wedding anniversary I thought I'd look on eBay to see if there was a watch strap available. With nothing coming up I actively started to look and mailed CAT, who came back to me with the Hong Kong details of the original supplier. Happy days! They only had three of the straps left but in the much less popular blue colour. My watch was the blue one originally fitted with the blue strap so I bought all three.

Happily went to the local jewellers to get the strap fitted where I was told the battery had leaked and destroyed the movement. CAT couldn't help me and google-fu gave me 100 doller replacements but with the date window at 4 and not 6 (as in my watch).

So I contacted ISA (the movement manufacturers) in Switzerland with my tale of woe hoping the could point me in the right direction. Discontinued and no suppliers with stock.

End of the line..... Except 3 weeks later a parcel arrived from Switzerland with ISA franking.

According to the note enclosed, the movement in the parcel had been "borrowed" from the reference stock for the movement. And to enjoy many more years of my watch.

So definitely take batteries out of watches before putting into storage.

That's a great story! Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

Nothing special but was wearing it today.

IMG-20200603-193136819.jpg

That's the central lug detail.

IMG-20200603-192539206.jpg

That's the face, I think it only appeals to kids and myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks any views on the 42mm panerai submersibles

im all over the shop at the moment, thinking of a BP fifty fathoms, zenith el primero, zenith defy chrono, panerai luminor ceramic

then i started looking at the 42mm submersibles

this

https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/submersible/pam00683-submersible---42mm.html

or this maybe

https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/submersible/pam00973-submersible---42mm.html

or go a bit mad...

https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/submersible/pam00959-submersible---42mm.html

• Advertisement

What's the difference between the submersible and their marine militaire line?

No view on Panerai though - for me it'd be something I need to have a good try on in the flesh (because it doesn't sing to me through the screen) - and since it doesn't sing to me I'd be keeping an eye on resell value too to make sure it's not a watch I'd take a huge hit on if I want to swop it out for something else down the line. Or were you thinking of buying 2nd hand?

On second look - the squarish case is kinda funky and appealing - might be one that grows on you :D - though at almost 10k I'd want to buy something that I'm definitely in love with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thirdfox wrote: »
    What's the difference between the submersible and their marine militaire line?

No view on Panerai though - for me it'd be something I need to have a good try on in the flesh (because it doesn't sing to me through the screen) - and since it doesn't sing to me I'd be keeping an eye on resell value too to make sure it's not a watch I'd take a huge hit on if I want to swop it out for something else down the line. Or were you thinking of buying 2nd hand?

On second look - the squarish case is kinda funky and appealing - might be one that grows on you :D - though at almost 10k I'd want to buy something that I'm definitely in love with :)

itll be new but not at retail.... can get 20-25% off rrp on chrono24,

the main lines are: luminor, radiomir, submersible (which is a luminor with a bezel really) and 1940 (new hybrid case) oh and the due which is a smaller thinner luminor.

the 44 and 47mm submersibles are beasts and too big really.

i quite like these (have had various panerais down the years) but i always sell them...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Sky Helpful Fencer

Cyrus wrote: »
    itll be new but not at retail.... can get 20-25% off rrp on chrono24,

the main lines are: luminor, radiomir, submersible (which is a luminor with a bezel really) and 1940 (new hybrid case) oh and the due which is a smaller thinner luminor.

the 44 and 47mm submersibles are beasts and too big really.

i quite like these (have had various panerais down the years) but i always sell them...........

I am getting more and more into Panerai,I would be more into the more classic Luminors. The value to be had second hand is awesome, which would put me off buying new unless you for a lot more than 25%....

Cool watches, would suit a bigger watch lover such as yourself. I hope to add one at some point to my collection (first refusal when you sell this one ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Has anyone handled a new model hydroconquest with ceramic bezel ? I’m considering one from Chrono24 but have heard that the bracelet is poor quality and with jewellers closed at the moment I can’t try before I buy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

im all over the shop at the moment, thinking of a BP fifty fathoms, zenith el primero, zenith defy chrono, panerai luminor ceramic

this

https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/submersible/pam00683-submersible---42mm.html

or this maybe

https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/submersible/pam00973-submersible---42mm.html

or go a bit mad...

https://www.panerai.com/ie/en/collections/watch-collection/submersible/pam00959-submersible---42mm.html

I think they look really cool, and 42mm seems like a good size - I like how they're doing smaller models. The FF is a pretty special watch though.

scwazrh wrote:
    Has anyone handled a new model hydroconquest with ceramic bezel ? I’m considering one from Chrono24 but have heard that the bracelet is poor quality and with jewellers closed at the moment I can’t try before I buy

I've not handled the new one, but I was really disappointed with the bracelets on both of my previous Longines divers. If the quality is the same in the newer model, I wouldn't be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

this

or this maybe

or go a bit mad...

I need coffee...was looking at them and going wow thats really fecking cheap for a Panerai...150$.....then I realised that was for a strap :o:o:o:o:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Another masterful tale from Watchfinder.

I am never upset about watches I sold a little too cheap or too early. Always more upset about ones I didn’t buy in the first place.

Classic mistake. He didn't stay at level 4 for long enough :p

Bit of a shopping sprea these last few days. I have a Poljot alarm watch coming in. Possibly a birth year watch. And a beater's beater: a well worn Seiko 5 pepsi diver auto, on a shark mesh, bought for peanuts. Bring on that post man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I had a couple of straps arrive yesterday. Onr for the Seagull 1963 and another for the Ball.

A bit pricey but both are very comfortable. Also got them in short length so it's nice to not have a large amount of extra strap wrapping around my wrist.

Advertisement