Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High Limit Stat tripping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

jimf wrote: »
    then change stat before you go any further

as advised earlier on this thread warmflow stats are known for intermittent problems

see post 34 dated 4th November

Thanks jimf, will get one ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

THE ALM wrote: »
    Will check that out this evening. CH NRV has been replaced.

Just to reiterate, when the room stat is calling heat there is no issue, boiler and pump comes on, radiators heat and when temperature reached the boiler and pumps turn off. At no point, if heat is being called, will the boiler cut out whether it takes 45 or 90 mins to reach room stat temp. Listening to the boiler running (utility room), in whatever time it takes to reach room stat temp, I can hear it cut in and out and therefore would assume that the boiler stat is working as it should - boiler and pump come on, boiler heats water, boiler reaches boiler stat temp and turns off, pump keeps running and water temp gradually drops, boiler stat temp drops and boiler fires up again, cycle continues until room stat temp reached and both boiler and pump turn off.

This morning e.g. the heating comes on for 30mins, generally won't hit the room stat temperature in those 30mins before it turns off as normal and as I would expect. Got up to find HL tripped.
    l

My last twopence worth try and get the flow & return boiler temperatures as a pretty good estimation of the flow rate can be calculated from this and also ensure that the bottom is the lower reading of the two to ensure that you havn,t reversed flow through the boiler ie top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

if im reading this correctly the only control over the run temp of the boiler is the room stat

by the time the room stat is satisfied the temp within the boiler is way above what it should be

the circulating pump is just about able to keep the boiler below high limit stat trip point

which then trips within mins because static water temp continues to rise within the boiler chamber

John.G wrote: »
    l

My last twopence worth try and get the flow & return boiler temperatures as a pretty good estimation of the flow rate can be calculated from this and also ensure that the bottom is the lower reading of the two to ensure that you havn,t reversed flow through the boiler ie top to bottom.

Will take this reading as well, thanks John.G, happy enough that the bottom is the lower of the two as the flow direction was all double checked when changing the NRV on Tuesday.

Have checked with a local builders providers and they have the warmflow dual stat in stock and half the price I see quoted on line, so happy enough with that. Won't have a chance to fit until tomorrow night.

Will take this reading as well, thanks John.G, happy enough that the bottom is the lower of the two as the flow direction was all double checked when changing the NRV on Tuesday.

Have checked with a local builders providers and they have the warmflow dual stat in stock and half the price I see quoted on line, so happy enough with that. Won't have a chance to fit until tomorrow night.

very simple stat to change

even agusta could manage it :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

its a faulty run stat as advised to check in previous posts
    I wouldnt be running a boiler with a faulty run stat.if the safety hi limit stat failed it could do some damage.
    if you dont know how a duel stat works,id advise to get a service technician to fit it for you.what looks simple is sometimes not that simple
    The new stat fitted should be tested

if im reading this correctly the only control over the run temp of the boiler is the room stat

by the time the room stat is satisfied the temp within the boiler is way above what it should be

the circulating pump is just about able to keep the boiler below high limit stat trip point

which then trips within mins because static water temp continues to rise within the boiler chamber

Edit : Could it may be an intermittent problem with the boiler stat, if such a thing is possible, as I can adjust the boiler stat (1-5 setting) and it will go off or come on accordingly, otherwise what you are describing is pretty accurate.

agusta wrote: »
    its a faulty run stat as advised to check in previous posts
    I wouldnt be running a boiler with a faulty run stat.if the safety hi limit stat failed it could do some damage.
    if you dont know how a duel stat works,id advise to get a service technician to fit it for you.what looks simple is sometimes not that simple
    The new stat fitted should be tested

Thanks agusta, a full service will be carried out as it is due anyway in the coming weeks.

very simple stat to change

even agusta could manage it :):):)
    Ya,but do you test it after:)

Ya,but do you test it after:)

whats this testing garbage you speak of :D:D

• Advertisement

4 months is not intermittent

fair point agusta, it has dragged on a bit longer that I would have liked due to some personal matters.

Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated.

whats this testing garbage you speak of :D:D
    Part of your training

Part of your training

you seem to forget adam and eves dog was a pup when I was training :o:o:o

It may be an intermittent problem with the boiler stat, if such a thing is possible, as I can adjust the boiler stat (1-5 setting) and it will go off or come on accordingly, otherwise what you are describing is pretty accurate.
    Reread your post,it may be intermittent.Earlier you said it never cuts out on run stat.We can only go with what you say.This post says it does cut out on run stat if you adjust it

as stated in November and January

warmflow stats are known for intermittent problems

ie nuisance tripping of hl stat once a month for a while then getting more frequent until it happens constantly

Reread your post,it may be intermittent.Earlier you said it never cuts out on run stat.We can only go with what you say.This post says it does cut out on run stat if you adjust it

sorry, should have been phrased more as question, will edit accordingly.

Have someone collecting the new stat for me this evening, don't want to run into major problems!!

as stated in November and January

warmflow stats are known for intermittent problems

ie nuisance tripping of hl stat once a month for a while then getting more frequent until it happens constantly

sounds about right! hopefully new stat sorts out problem.

New stat fitted and no trips last night and came on this morning as expected, who would have thought :rolleyes::) Hopefully continues now uninterrupted and was the cause of the problems.

Glad I carried out the other work anyway as new valves were needed and it gave me the chance to change a radiator and learn a few new things along the way. As mentioned earlier, house much more evenly heated as a couple of rooms were always on the cooler side and feels like it's running more efficiently and as it should.

Will monitor and take a few readings over the weekend but so far so good.

Again, thanks for all the help, appreciated.

New stat fitted and no trips last night and came on this morning as expected, who would have thought :rolleyes::) Hopefully continues now uninterrupted and was the cause of the problems.

Glad I carried out the other work anyway as new valves were needed and it gave me the chance to change a radiator and learn a few new things along the way. As mentioned earlier, house much more evenly heated as a couple of rooms were always on the cooler side and feels like it's running more efficiently and as it should.

Will monitor and take a few readings over the weekend but so far so good.

Again, thanks for all the help, appreciated.[/

Glad you are sorted, I would be very interested in the boiler flow & return temperature when it's firing on HW only, if you get a chance.

No problem John.G, will get a look at that over the weekend.

• Advertisement

hopefully you are sorted everything crossed

I think they are 1 to 5 settings on those stats

set to 4 at max

I think they are 1 to 5 settings on those stats

set to 4 at max

not even that on this one just a general scale type image. Settings on manual state from 50 - 80° and I have it set about the 60-65° mark.

should be fine at 65/70

Glad you are sorted, I would be very interested in the boiler flow & return temperature when it's firing on HW only, if you get a chance.

Just coming back to you on this John.G - Took a couple of readings this morning which are:-

Flow 66.5 Return 61.6
    Flow 65.2 Return 58.8
    Flow 64.6 Return 58.7

Just coming back to you on this John.G - Took a couple of readings this morning which are:-

Flow 66.5 Return 61.6
    Flow 65.2 Return 58.8
    Flow 64.6 Return 58.7

Thanks for that, what I find difficult to understand is the very small deferential across the boiler while firing, my own 20 kw boiler has a measured delta t of - 24C which equates to a flow rate of 12 LPM, the coil delta t is - 6Cwhich means the boiler average output required is - 25 p.cent resulting in frequent boiler cycling..... Quite normal. In your case the boiler delta t averages 5.7C which assuming a 25 kw boiler equates to a flow rate of 62 LPM, highly unlikely and it also means that the cyl coil can absorb 25 kw again unlikely, the only other explanation that I can think of is that your boiler is cycling on/off very very often??

Thanks for that, what I find difficult to understand is the very small deferential across the boiler while firing, my own 20 kw boiler has a measured delta t of - 24C which equates to a flow rate of 12 LPM, the coil delta t is - 6Cwhich means the boiler average output required is - 25 p.cent resulting in frequent boiler cycling..... Quite normal. In your case the boiler delta t averages 5.7C which assuming a 25 kw boiler equates to a flow rate of 62 LPM, highly unlikely and it also means that the cyl coil can absorb 25 kw again unlikely, the only other explanation that I can think of is that your boiler is cycling on/off very very often??

Thanks for that John.G.

I don't believe the boiler is cycling very very often, must compare when running heating only.

With the above figures in mind there is either a coil very encrusted in limescale and not dissipating heat, 15 year old in a moderate to high limescale area, or the pump is running to high so I'll turn that down this evening and see if that helps.

Actually thinking about this a bit more and the Delta T for the HW would be dependant on the temp of the water in the cylinder at the time would it not?

If the water already in the tank is close to that passing through it then there is going to be little of no transfer of heat and the return temp is going to be only marginally lower than the flow temp. A more accurate Delta T reading would be from running it when the cylinder is at a much lower temp.

At the moment I measure the temp of the cyclinder through a smartthings sensor so I must measure the temp of water coming from a tap to see how accurate this sensor is and adjust accordingly.

last comment on this post from me

do ye not think at this stage lads overthinking is really kicking in

• Advertisement

last comment on this post from me

do ye not think at this stage lads overthinking is really kicking in

Think so jimf

Advertisement