Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 26-03-2018 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Showrunners Confirm Number Of Episodes In Season 2, Give Production Update

13 episodes for season two
    "This is the same original number of episodes Discovery had for the first season,"

No release target for season two
    When asked if they have a target date for the premiere of the second season, Harberts said, “We don’t,” adding “I wish, I really do wish” there was one confirmed. Co-showrunner and executive producer Gretchen J. Berg noted they are waiting for CBS to set a second season target date, saying they will know “when they tell us.”

Last September, well before it was announced, Alex Kurtzman estimated a second season may not debut until early 2019. It’s possible such an estimate was to give the team plenty of leeway after facing criticism for the multiple delays in the first season. Based on times required to produce the first season, early 2019 seems easily attainable, and late 2018 is certainly plausible, possibly as early as October/November.

However, Discovery’s production and post-production times aren’t the only consideration when picking a premiere date. CBS has a number of other original All Access series in various stages of development and have stated they would like to space their new releases out. The mystery show $1 starts production shortly and is reportedly set to debut in August. Les Moonves has estimated the new Twilight Zone will debut in the fall and their drama Strange Angel is also currently in pre-production. CBS All Access also ordered the new drama Tell Me a Story and a second season of the comedy No Activity.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/03/25/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-confirm-number-of-episodes-in-season-2-give-production-update/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Calling it now: Lorca with Goatee shows up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Section 31
    does so could happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

BrookieD wrote: »
    Section 31
    does so could happen ;)

Could be interesting.

They also promised to keep with canon. We shall see!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

BrookieD wrote: »
    Section 31
    does so could happen ;)

Is that a guess or was it confirmed somewhere?

Watch the new clip from the S1 finale deleted scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Confirmed - looks interesting though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well the deleted scene from whence that revelation came may not come up again; given it was a deleted scene it's arguable that it's just a trailing strand, and entirely up to the writing team whether they'll pick it up or not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well the deleted scene from whence that revelation came may not come up again; given it was a deleted scene it's arguable that it's just a trailing strand, and entirely up to the writing team whether they'll pick it up or not.

It's confirmed for s2. Actor is onboard for season two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't think it's a deleted scene.

They called it a Bonus Scene:
    https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/977686761823350784

Slydice wrote: »

I enjoyed it. Good scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Slydice wrote: »

Odd wording, bonus would imply it's canon, deleted wouldn't suggest so as much.

At the same con they described the season 2 as science vs spirtuality, something they've also said previously. I'm not sure how much substance that has, given they said season 1 was meant to be about the Klingon war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it could have put a more believable capper on Georgiou's arc: the Federation deferring to her homicidal judgement was a really bad bit of writing, peddled as a 'desperate times...' gambit, whereas if her coopting was by
    Section 31
    , it would have made her doomsday plan more believable - and would stay within canon.

Side note: should we have to spoiler the above? Feels like anything that came up in Season 1, bonus scenes included, should be fair game for discussion about Season 2. No one who hasn't seen all of the first run should be anywhere near this thread :)

I think it could have put a more believable capper on Georgiou's arc: the Federation deferring to her homicidal judgement was a really bad bit of writing, peddled as a 'desperate times...' gambit, whereas if her coopting was by
    Section 31
    , it would have made her doomsday plan more believable - and would stay within canon.

Side note: should we have to spoiler the above? Feels like anything that came up in Season 1, bonus scenes included, should be fair game for discussion about Season 2. No one who hasn't seen all of the first run should be anywhere near this thread :)

Id say its fine. Anyone who wanted to watch the show, probably has by this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Evade

Spear wrote: »
    At the same con they described the season 2 as science vs spirtuality, something they've also said previously.
    I hope not, this is the worst part of DS9. It'll boil down to "there's no evidence but I feel..."

Section 31 and the Mirror Universe are fine in small doses but the more they show up the less mysterious and interesting they'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

From here: https://trekmovie.com/2018/03/26/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-reveal-season-2-theme-plans-for-burnham-airiam-and-more/

I don't think they're talking about spirituality in the sense of DS9's profits or anything:
    Aaron Harberts: So, last season was war and finding a way to peace. So, for this season – for lack of a better word – is sort of about “spirituality” in Star Trek. What is the role of serendipity versus science? Is there a story about faith to be told? Leaps of faith. We are dealing with space. We are dealing with things that can’t be explained and you have a character like Michael Burnham who believes there is an explanation for everything.

And it doesn’t just mean religion. It means patterns in our lives. It means connections you can’t explain.

"serendipity versus science", "Leaps of faith", "things that can’t be explained".

Hate to be cynical but that sounds more like the 'destiny' nonsense we had a sniff of in season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

I very much enjoyed the spiritual side of DS9, so if Discovery goes down that road it’s something I look forward to...and hope they get it as right as DS9 did.

Yeah, I like the Bajor / Prophets angle from DS9 - it's actually one of the few treatments in popular Science Fiction that posits the notion organised religion isn't an immediately bad, regressive thing; threading the needle of being critical of the concept & its potential for corruption, yet understanding the value and positivity spirituality can bring to a people or individual.

Mind you, it did help that in this case their gods were REAL, but still. Equally, Trek has itself dug into the whole 'ancient beings from before time' often enough, which to me is always a sign of a writer trying to sneak a proxy-god past a cynical audience. Trek, BSG, Babylon 5, etc - they all do it.

If anything, it feels like a subject not mined enough in SciFi. Against the backdrop of the infinite, why wouldn't people en masse turn to religion to find meaning in a neverending cosmos, so full of chaos? The vastness of space would surely cause a lot of existential crisis in people - especially once confronted with the fact via space travel - so I'd be more surprised if religion didn't become more popular, rather than less.

So yeah, I think Burnham getting a little spiritual could be an interesting angle - if handled right.

Mind you, it did help that in this case their gods were REAL, but still.

Naturally :D

What i like about the Bajoran faith was it was portrayed as quite spiritual. It didn’t seem overly dogmatic, and it had a purity about it that connected less faithful tv viewers, to it. I can openly say that as someone who has no time at all for organised man made religions, but who thinks about life and the universe in a spiritual way at times.

Inviere wrote: »
    Naturally :D

What i like about the Bajoran faith was it was portrayed as quite spiritual. It didn’t seem overly dogmatic, and it had a purity about it that connected less faithful tv viewers, to it. I can openly say that as someone who has no time at all for organised man made religions, but who thinks about life and the universe in a spiritual way at times.

Suppose the difference is though, the Bajorian Gods are very much alive and active in their faith with orbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yeah, I like the Bajor / Prophets angle from DS9 - it's actually one of the few treatments in popular Science Fiction that posits the notion organised religion isn't an immediately bad, regressive thing; threading the needle of being critical of the concept & its potential for corruption, yet understanding the value and positivity spirituality can bring to a people or individual.

Mind you, it did help that in this case their gods were REAL, but still. Equally, Trek has itself dug into the whole 'ancient beings from before time' often enough, which to me is always a sign of a writer trying to sneak a proxy-god past a cynical audience. Trek, BSG, Babylon 5, etc - they all do it.

If anything, it feels like a subject not mined enough in SciFi. Against the backdrop of the infinite, why wouldn't people en masse turn to religion to find meaning in a neverending cosmos, so full of chaos? The vastness of space would surely cause a lot of existential crisis in people - especially once confronted with the fact via space travel - so I'd be more surprised if religion didn't become more popular, rather than less.

So yeah, I think Burnham getting a little spiritual could be an interesting angle - if handled right.

I would not be surprised at all at it getting less popular if it even still exists by the time we are out exploring deep deep space and have warp drive, hyperspace or whatever it will be. I hope that does not happen. People are technologically advanced now and smart enough now to realise all that religious stuff was just a way of trying to control and brainwash them. It was just a story made up by someone thousands of years ago that does not even make sense.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I would not be surprised at all at it getting less popular if it even still exists by the time we are out exploring deep deep space and have warp drive, hyperspace or whatever it will be. I hope that does not happen. People are technologically advanced now and smart enough now to realise all that religious stuff was just a way of trying to control and brainwash them. It was just a story made up by someone thousands of years ago that does not even make sense.

Depends on the religion. Some faiths like Mormonism are based on evangelical speading of faith. As humanity spreads throughout the stars, there duty remains the same and spread faith outwards across worlds.

Its also equally possible that for another species their religion or spirituality could be based space or the universe and actually prepel them into space centuries before us. Reaching space of divinity could actually strengthen over time

I couldn't ever square how the Prophets were different than anyone else showing off fancy technology and being worshiped by less developed species. More advanced doesn't make you a god.

The spiritual destiny/awe at the majesty of the universe stuff is kind of crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Evade wrote: »
    I couldn't ever square how the Prophets were different than anyone else showing off fancy technology and being worshiped by less developed species. More advanced doesn't make you a god.

They are not. They never called themselves Gods (like the founders). In fact even in siskos first encounter with them, they were scared of humanoids and didn't understand corporal existence - and debated whether or not to destroy Sisko for their own safety.

They appeared to ancient bajorans in abstract visions in peoples head, and existed outside of time, so they knew the future. If some bronze age bajoran wrote down what the "prophets" said would happen in poem, and then a few hundred years later it happened, it would be easy to see them as Gods.

The Bajorans entire culture revolves around them since pre-technology times, it's easy to see how they would not let go of that notion when their entire society is built around the ancient word of the prophets. Other species who encounter them have no such history, so just see them as they are: wormhole aliens.

They are not. They never called themselves Gods (like the founders). In fact even in siskos first encounter with them, they were scared of humanoids and didn't understand corporal existence - and debated whether or not to destroy Sisko for their own safety.

They appeared to ancient bajorans in abstract visions in peoples head, and existed outside of time, so they knew the future. If some bronze age bajoran wrote down what the "prophets" said would happen in poem, and then a few hundred years later it happened, it would be easy to see them as Gods.

The Bajorans entire culture revolves around them since pre-technology times, it's easy to see how they would not let go of that notion when their entire society is built around the ancient word of the prophets. Other species who encounter them have no such history, so just see them as they are: wormhole aliens.
    Are we going to gloss over them creating their own Jesus to benefit Bajor? The Sisko is of Bajor and all that.

I preferred the early season interpretation that the wormhole aliens were oblivious to the Bajorans worshiping them but later on it was clear they were intentionally interfering.

Are we going to gloss over them creating their own Jesus to benefit Bajor? The Sisko is of Bajor and all that.

We've seen that type of thing before though. Had Q not introduced Picard & co to the Borg, things would likely have gone differently, and badly, for the Federation. Sisko being of Bajor, was imo, a huge grand arc that elevated DS9 beyond TNG

We've seen that type of thing before though. Had Q not introduced Picard & co to the Borg, things would likely have gone differently, and badly, for the Federation. Sisko being of Bajor, was imo, a huge grand arc that elevated DS9 beyond TNG
    And what happened when Q implied he was (a) god? I'm not against a more advanced species helping out, it's letting themselves be seen or worshiped as gods that I don't like.

I'm not against a more advanced species helping out, it's letting themselves be seen or worshiped as gods that I don't like.

But in every conceivable way, they were gods. They also didn't command anyone to see them or worship them as Gods, is that not the Path Wraiths you're thinking of?

But in every conceivable way, they were gods.
    They were very advanced, just like Q. Being advanced does not make you a god.
    They also didn't command anyone to see them or worship them as Gods, is that not the Path Wraiths you're thinking of?
    They didn't command it but they allowed it. They don't even get to make the excuse "we didn't know" because they exist at all points in time simultaneously. Compare that to what happened in Who Watches the Watchers where Picard made it very clear they weren't gods just more advanced.

It doesn't, but in functional, narrative terms the Prophets absolutely were gods; albeit through handwaving pseudo-science that allowed the writers to basically invent gods without breaking the canon of the atheistic universe Trek operates as.

• Advertisement

What is a god? Timeless, all seeing, all knowing, existing outside of time, existing on a 'higher' plane, keeping a watchful gaze on a less advanced people...that'd check the box for most definitions of a 'god'.
    They didn't command it but they allowed it.

By not allowing it, they'd be interfering too though, no? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    They don't even get to make the excuse "we didn't know" because they exist at all points in time simultaneously. Compare that to what happened in Who Watches the Watchers where Picard made it very clear they weren't gods just more advanced.

For me, there's a slight difference between a human interacting with another humanoid, and a non corporeal being outside of linear time interacting with a human. I don't think you can arguably compare or contrast the two situations.

Advertisement