Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Why you should insist on RGI. when working with gas**

Comments

anuprising wrote: »
    gary ,as a member of rgi
    I'm Gassafe and RGI
    you have a duty of care .
    fully aware thanks ;)
    if you know of bad gas works you report it
    I do, the last time I was threatened by a inspector for being a jobs worth:mad:
    . i didnt say anything about a notefication of hazzad but if as you say an install occured where co was leaking into a house that is an automatic shut down ,a danger to life . not up to you to rectify it ,or manufacturer to rectify . you should follow the procedure as laid down and that installer wont be long about being suspended
    Hasn't happened so far, but I live with hope:)
    .dont know about where you live but here there are suspensions every single day.
    I live in Roscommon, I cover the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

heres a link , pick one and post who threatened you .

http://www.rgii.ie/safety/inspectors.2727.html

why do you link the rgi and bord gais on your website when you have nothing good to say about them .? im curious

heres a link , pick one and post who threatened you .

http://www.rgii.ie/safety/inspectors.2727.htmls
    I'm not brave enough to do that, what good do you think it would do me, I got a big mouth but I can't risk having my RGI card taken away.

why do you link the rgi and bord gais on your website when you have nothing good to say about them .? im curious

Didn't know I did, any web site I have was done by a family member years ago and is not something i even think about, I would still have RGI, Bord Gais on any site I would do now because that's what the public would judge me by.

I have nothing good to say about RGI or Bord Gais that's because I want to work in a safer gas industry and I don't think they are doing enough, you may think I don't warrant that opinion that's fine we all have different working experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Is there a link to who has been suspended? Or an avenue as to make the public aware of who has been suspended? I've looked at www.rgii.ie and can't find anything maybe I just can't see it.

A friend of mine was suspended before Christmas. He was due an inspection but he had no gas jobs for nearly 2 months so they suspended him instead:mad: a lot of fluting around before he was let back on. Ironically two days after suspension he got a boiler job but had to turn it down.

Just noticed the "report illegal gas works" form, a section where you contact the original installer to make them aware and to log there response. Is it up to us now to chase these people now?

I was raking my brain for any eejits I know who have been suspended, couldn't think of any till I remembered they suspended me after Christmas:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

Nice read for anyone in the industry... Please join the more we have the stronger we are. The regular guys on here talk with passion and pride about their industry we would love to have guys like you on board.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/competition-authority-launches-investigation-into-bord-gais-says-aphci-414489-Apr2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nuzzer

you can do both gid gis if you are on the f...ing dole now without any nat craft cert in any trade,suppose next they'll be given out kane455's

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Since when? Entry requirements haven't changed? GIS GID. are about to disappear and change to DGS and AFAIK Oftec will no longer be accepted as an entry either

If people are getting onto these courses without the correct entry requirements you should report it to the CER and INAB

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056607185

another example of why we need rgi's ,and not diy installs . it seems that with all the advertising that rgi and board gais has done ,it has not reached everyone about the dangers of badly installed and/or serviced appliances.

i got banned from the home appliances forum for airing my views ,with the last post i made being deleted .

i think this belongs in this thread as its a safety warning to others

another example of why we need rgi's ,and not diy installs . it seems that with all the advertising that rgi and board gais has done ,it has not reached everyone about the dangers of badly installed and/or serviced appliances.

i got banned from the home appliances forum for airing my views ,with the last post i made being deleted .

Did you report it to Boards?

No point complaining on here about how crap Boards are if your not going to use their procedures.:D

• Advertisement

very good - I asked for that didn't I

very good - I asked for that didn't I

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it till the red cards get me banned, I find it maddening when bad or incorrect info is given out when it’s a safety issue, there are several things I wont comment on as I don’t feel I am qualified enough to do so, I’m also bright enough to realise others give wrong info unknowingly, but when I see a member with a title arguing in a way that gives an impression to new members that they are all knowing on their given board then they really do need to be ADVISED to wind their necks in.

I find being a gas engineer in Ireland very difficult at times, it is not a respected trade, due I think to the level of competence between RGI is not consistent, leading to confused mixed messages and half truths for customers interacting with us who here what suits and ignore(at times) good working practise/advice.

If in the UK a gas engineer stated that black stain/soot is not a good thing the customer would be happy to listen, but here on Boards as in life it ends in a pissing competion to get the same message across:mad: and unfortunately that message gets missed sometimes.

Got your PM can't see the problem, it's a shame it was turned in to a pissing competion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131014/Gas-fitter-poor-quality-work-led-carbon-monoxide-death-millionaires-daughter-weeps-sentenced-years-prison.html
    The link above is the outcome of a boiler related death in the UK.

As a apprentice I was taught to close my eyes and imagine I was in the dock of a coroners court explaining the gas work I had just carried out, it's something I still do today and the paronia keeps me safe.

I have worked in a highly regulated environment which couldn't prevent the deaths i have sadly witnessed, deaths like the one reported above caused by silly avoidable mistakes, the pressure put upon gas installers in to the UK by Gassafe is heavy and causes some new entrants to leave the industry due to the fear of leaving a hazard.

I find there is less fear of gas here sadly, so I would ask anybody who wishes to give it a lash to read the above story, imagine its you in the dock about to lose everything then use that thought the next time you're in to much of hurry to put the gauge on or bridge out a safety device to get you out the door, Gary.

I was called to a job today on a caravan, it was repaired before easter but no cert on site, woman complaining of stinging eyes, straight away spotted a bucking paint tin had been placed over the flue terminal, obviously not spotted by the smart arsed "engineer" as he simply linked out the spillage stat. :eek:

Good stuff, another life saved, imagine if you had been there just to look at the hob and you missed the boiler, that's the scary bit.

Exactly why you need to go by the book.

Had to put this in.
    Came across a company today called "Carbon Monoxide Services":D:D. I wonder what kind of levels the are offering :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

'bout 400 ppm:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: !!!!!!!

• Advertisement

wing52 wrote: »
    'bout 400 ppm:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: !!!!!!!
    :D:D:D:pac::pac::pac:

I'm sure their fantastic, highly thought of members of the gas and carbon monoxide community and wouldn't be using a €39 service to generate more expensive call backs, I'm sure every time they use their anylizer the boilers are firing how else could they tick the box for boiler analysed and I'm also very sure if they did diagnose a defective thermostat on a ideal mini another RGI wouldn't have to call to find its actual a burnt out pump;) nope never happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

gary71 wrote: »
    I'm sure their fantastic, highly thought of members of the gas and carbon monoxide community and wouldn't be using a €39 service to generate more expensive call backs, I'm sure every time they use their anylizer the boilers are firing how else could they tick the box for boiler analysed and I'm also very sure if they did diagnose a defective thermostat on a ideal mini another RGI wouldn't have to call to find its actual a burnt out pump;) nope never happened

Jaysus gary you have some stories, always give me a laugh. you could write a book on it! I had on last week one guy change the PCB then another guy changed the pressure switch. Still wouldn't work, I went to it, turned on the boiler didn't even take the cover off, just listened. Fan stuck. Off with the cover yup stuck soild. New fan. It's getting worse out there

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

A friend of mine had his parents killed the very first time they used their RGI installed fire. The guy had left the flue partially blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Sorry for the repeat !

sbkenn wrote: »
    A friend of mine had his parents killed the very first time they used their RGI installed fire. The guy had left the flue partially blocked.

When did this happen?? Don't remember it in the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

Not always a guarantee even with the rgii website list unfortunately. I searched the website for someone in my area, all I needed was a safety check. Costs around 79euro and a cert 3, which is about 30euro. Found a guy and he called over. After all his bellyaching about how old my property was- not that old by the way, just was not lived in for a few years- his quote was around the 3000 mark, for moving the system, new boiler, the works. He was trying to talk me into getting some grant and basically handing it over to him to do all this work.

For all this talk, did he bring a tool into my home or a safety check booklet or a cert booklet-nope! He did not even inspect anything he looked from a distance, he mostly talked. He saw a girl who didn't have a clue and was taking the piss. He wouldn't even listen to me, I could not wait to see the back of him. Nearly cried that day, I thought I would never get the gas heating turned on!

I went through my energy company in the end and they are sorting it for me through a company of rgii resgistered gas installers in the city.

Saoirsef wrote: »
    Not always a guarantee even with the rgii website list unfortunately. I searched the website for someone in my area, all I needed was a safety check. Costs around 79euro and a cert 3, which is about 30euro. Found a guy and he called over. After all his bellyaching about how old my property was- not that old by the way, just was not lived in for a few years- his quote was around the 3000 mark, for moving the system, new boiler, the works. He was trying to talk me into getting some grant and basically handing it over to him to do all this work.

For all this talk, did he bring a tool into my home or a safety check booklet or a cert booklet-nope! He did not even inspect anything he looked from a distance, he mostly talked. He saw a girl who didn't have a clue and was taking the piss. He wouldn't even listen to me, I could not wait to see the back of him. Nearly cried that day, I thought I would never get the gas heating turned on!

I went through my energy company in the end and they are sorting it for me through a company of rgii resgistered gas installers in the city.

You would be doing all of us here a favour if you reported this installer to rgii. Nothing would probably happen but at least it would me logged.

A safety check is a procedure that doesn't involve an opinion on your well earned property.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

It's like the lottery

A cert 3 is €2 plus vat (cert 1 is €30)

Hope you didn't pay him, as he did not provide the service you requested.

Advertisement