Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest query (hot water zone)

• 24-01-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I am getting some work done on my house (replumb and rewire) and picked up 2 Nest 3rd generation thermostats. I'm getting the house zoned, so three zones: upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

My electrician is pretty clued in on smart thermostats and normally recommends a competitor to nest as he said it's compatible with hot water. He said if I stick with Nest I'll actually need 3 Nests. I'd be happy enough to connect the Nests to the upstairs and downstairs and just put the hot water on a regular timer rather than fit a 3rd nest just for hot water.

But I've convinced myself that the Nest's "hot water" feature should be compatible without needing an opentherm-compatible boiler or a separate Nest just to control the hot water. I've read that people simply connected a Nest thermostat that controls the heating in a living area, AND have it connected to an on/off switch connected to an immersion, so surely the same could be done for an on/off switch connected to the "hot water" zone.

Sorry if some ignorance is coming through. Not an expert on electrics or plumbing. My electrician is very good when it comes to heating and insulation, etc, but I'm thinking maybe he's just not familiar with the hot water feature of the 3rd gen Nest. I'd like to get my facts right before asking him to look into it.

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

1 nest can control 1 zone and hot water. Look at the wiring diagrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

antix80 wrote: »
    I am getting some work done on my house (replumb and rewire) and picked up 2 Nest 3rd generation thermostats. I'm getting the house zoned, so three zones: upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

My electrician is pretty clued in on smart thermostats and normally recommends a competitor to nest as he said it's compatible with hot water. He said if I stick with Nest I'll actually need 3 Nests. I'd be happy enough to connect the Nests to the upstairs and downstairs and just put the hot water on a regular timer rather than fit a 3rd nest just for hot water.

But I've convinced myself that the Nest's "hot water" feature should be compatible without needing an opentherm-compatible boiler or a separate Nest just to control the hot water. I've read that people simply connected a Nest thermostat that controls the heating in a living area, AND have it connected to an on/off switch connected to an immersion, so surely the same could be done for an on/off switch connected to the "hot water" zone.

Sorry if some ignorance is coming through. Not an expert on electrics or plumbing. My electrician is very good when it comes to heating and insulation, etc, but I'm thinking maybe he's just not familiar with the hot water feature of the 3rd gen Nest. I'd like to get my facts right before asking him to look into it.

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light!

One nest can control one radiator zone as the nest is a thermostat and it can control the hotwater but you need it wired into a cylinder thermostat.
    So if you have 2 rad zones and one hot water circuit you need 2 nests.

Advertisement