Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving out after a week and getting the deposit back

Options
  • 23-01-2019 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice, I moved into a room in an owner-occupied house last weekend for college, when I got there I discovered that I'm the only female. I only found this out when I moved in as the other rooms were not let when I agreed to take this room. While I have had no issues with the guys as of yet, I don't feel comfortable being the lone female in the house. I also discovered today that the drive to college is almost hour with rush hour traffic and I was advised it was roughly 15 mins to 30 min. As a result of both of these issues, I would like to move out an find a place closer to my college and with a more balanced gender mix.

What are my chances of getting my deposit back?
    It was given by cheque and was only processed yesterday. I will need to get this deposit back in order to afford another more suitable place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If you ask nicely and give notice you should get it back unless your landlord is a compete dick.

You really need to do your research before moving somewhere, a 15 minute drive turning into a 60 minute drive is no small difference, I fail to see how you overlooked this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Pelvis wrote: »
    If you ask nicely and give notice you should get it back unless your landlord is a compete dick.

You really need to do your research before moving somewhere, a 15 minute drive turning into a 60 minute drive is no small difference, I fail to see how you overlooked this.

I hope that is the case, what notice should I be giving?

I did do my research, the difference was I was travelling a peak time this morn and hit traffic everywhere. I don't know if the traffic was unusually heavy this morning but I don't want to have to repeat that on a daily basis when i need to go anywhere at peek times

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

siobhan08 wrote: »
    I only found this out when I moved in as the other rooms were not let when I agreed to take this room.
    Did you ask beforehand?
    I also discovered today that the drive to college is almost hour with rush hour traffic and I was advised it was roughly 15 mins to 30 min.
    How long is it before or after rush-hour traffic? Don't use this reason, as he wouldn't know when your classes would start.
    What are my chances of getting my deposit back?
    If you ask nicely, maybe. FYI, as a licensee the PTRB won't assist you. Anything but nicely, and the LL can just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, what city are you in, and why must you use your own car instead of public transport, if rush hour traffic is so bad?

the_syco wrote: »
    Did you ask beforehand?

How long is it before or after rush-hour traffic? Don't use this reason, as he wouldn't know when your classes would start.

It is usually 20 minutes, the place I'm staying is on the outskirts of the city I'm not that familiar with this side of the city so I did realise how bad the traffice could be
    the_syco wrote: »
    If you ask nicely, maybe. FYI, as a licensee the PTRB won't assist you. Anything but nicely, and the LL can just say no.
    Yes I'm aware the PTRB won't assist me as a licensee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP you're renting a room so you've no real contract as such and aren't covered by any rental legislation. The owner has no real right to keep the deposit but you're at their mercy as to whether they give it back or not.

Explain to the owner it's not suiting and you'll be looking for somewhere else but that you'll advertise the room.

Browney7 wrote: »
    OP you're renting a room so you've no real contract as such and aren't covered by any rental legislation. The owner has no real right to keep the deposit but you're at their mercy as to whether they give it back or not.

Explain to the owner it's not suiting and you'll be looking for somewhere else but that you'll advertise the room.

Yes this is what I'm intending to do and hopefully, they will reasonable. It's my last few months at college so I want to make sure I'm living in a place suitable and where I'm happy to make sure I get the best grade possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Yes this is what I'm intending to do and hopefully, they will reasonable. It's my last few months at college so I want to make sure I'm living in a place suitable and where I'm happy to make sure I get the best grade possible.

I would be expecting the deposit back, but I wouldn't be expecting the balance of this months rent back.

bluelamp wrote: »
    I would be expecting the deposit back, but I wouldn't be expecting the balance of this months rent back.

Yes I will hopefully get the deposit back and I only paid 2 weeks rent when I moved in so I'll take the hit for the second week

Advertisement