Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil - Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...

• 30-12-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Basically, I attempted to play the remake of this game a few months back, and barely lasted an hour or two before uninstalling and moving on. I gather my expectations of the game, didn’t meet the reality of it, and conflict was born. The tedious backtracking to item manage being quite offputting for me.

So, I ask, what can I do to kick start my enjoyment of the game? I remember Retr0 giving some tips like what can be dropped from the inventory right away (can’t remember them now!), to make settling into the game that bit easier. Any ideas folks?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play as Jill as it's basically easy mode. You get 8 inventory slots which is much more manageable.

Backtracking is basically part of the game. You have pick and choose which areas you need to make safe and plan your routes.

I'd leave as many inventory slots free. Usually no point carrying ink ribbons as you mostly get ink ribbons from each typewriter or find more.

Also no point carrying puzzle items until you need them. Keys sometimes if you know where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

So when you say make areas safe, do zombies not respawn once you kill them?
    Should I keep the knife or drop it at the first chance?

I know once I get into the flow of the game I’ll prob be ok, it’s just getting over the initial “seriously?” element, like backtracking to save etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The knife is worthless once you get a gun.

You don't have enough ammo to kill all enemies so you have to decide where is important to make safe.

The remake however adds an extra element... The crimson heads. So a body isn't safe unless it's been decapitated or burned.

It's all about resource management and planning.

When the enemies get tougher you'll want to start toting a shotgun and it's also handy to have to take out a zombies head with a upwards pointed shot.

I love the idea of the game, actually doing it though, is different. Can’t remember where I made it to, I think it was a puzzle with sliding statues that box you in and dice you up. Inventory got full of things I didn’t know if they were needed or not, and being unable to pick up new things without having to go miles back and drop something so I could free up a slot. Old Skool yo’

Not worth carrying stuff in case you need it. Sometimes you will find items that aren't needed until the end game.

Also remember to check some items in the inventory. The game is sneaky as some puzzle items you won't get unless you check them for clues like opening up a book to get a hidden item inside.

How I play the game is I load up with a pistol and ammo taking up one slot. A fully loaded shotgun sometimes just in case. Then I go out of the safe room and explore as much as I can. When my inventory is full or I'm out of supplies I make my way back to save point. Then next journey if I've come across locked doors or puzzles I head out with the items I need. Rinse and repeat. You eventually get to a shortcut or new safe room.

Also in remake it's important to go on body burning runs as well!

Basically the game is sort of like a wizardry style dungeon crawler. You keep pushing as far as you can go before making a retreat. Head back in better prepared and push a little further. Eventually you reach a new milestone and can explore new areas from there.

Forgot to say enemies do stay dead once killed. No respawning. So if you waste ammo on one best to put them down for good.

Anyway take your time. You can't blast through the game in one push. And backtracking isn't so bad when resident evil safe room music is always incredible

• Advertisement

Fantastic, thanks a mill Retr0...that tempers my expectations more in line with what the game offers. Question, how do you burn the bodies, is there a flamethrower of some description you get at a certain point?

You'll get a hip flask you can fill with petrol. So you need that and a lighter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll be examining this... I hope it's not Chris' blood....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'll get a hip flask you can fill with petrol. So you need that and a lighter.

Again you only get a few charges if this so use them wisely 😂

Again you only get a few charges if this so use them wisely ��

I’m reminded of that video “If Doom was done today...” :D

• Advertisement

Gotten much further in this than I had done before, glad I stuck with it this time. I've just got the fourth death mask, time to head to the crypt I guess...

Inviere wrote: »
    Gotten much further in this than I had done before, glad I stuck with it this time. I've just got the fourth death mask, time to head to the crypt I guess...

Glad you stuck with it. You'd miss out on one of the best games ever made and kind of a unique experience even in the series.

If you enjoy the remake the original is worth a play. The remake changes enough that it's basically a different game and doesn't invalidate the original.

So, made my way to the courtyard (damned eerie/oppressive atmosphere out there, I almost miss the confines of the mansion!), and found magnum, along with the shed with the crank. Made my way back then to empty the swimming pool, and not long after found a safe room (man, that music...actual physical relief!). I'm only getting in perhaps an hour or so per evening, but really enjoying it. The zombies are definitely gotten faster and more aggressive by now too.

On the home stretch now!

Aaaaaaand I'm done.

I have to say, I loved every minute of the game. While I'm extremely late to the party, I still found the game highly enjoyable. The puzzles, the atmosphere (my god the atmosphere gets tense at times), the action, it was a real breath of fresh air with the fixed camera angles. It's like a weird combination of a point and click game with real time action.

Thanks for the guidance retr0!

You've a pretty great series to discover now. Just skip Resi 6

It is a weird game and felt very strange on release. Capcom were known for their arcade style games then brought out something that felt like a PC game. Capcom apparently hadn't much faith in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You've a pretty great series to discover now. Just skip Resi 6

And 5, surely?

5 is.... alright. But yeah, certainly not a great game.

At least it isn't long unlike the 25-30 hour ****fest of Resi 6.

• Advertisement
Advertisement