Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wednesday/Thursday 2-3/1/2019

A) Rack Pull (2" below bottom of kneecap)
    180kg x 6  (@8)
    162.5kg x 13, 12 (@9)

B) Deadlift Stance High Box Squat (30X0) (60s rest )
    132.5kg x 8 x 3

C) Wide-Grip Bench
    72.5kg x  13, 11

D) Low Cable Row (90s rest)
    5 x 10

E1) Hamstring Curl
    4 x 12

E2) Leg Extensions
    70kg x 4 x Max  (18, 16, 15, 14)

Back to work so need to work out when I can properly get training done during normal schedule in the short term. So this was done over Wednesday and Thursday lunchtime - not a hope I'd have had a chance to train in the evenings this week anyway.

Box squats were a heavy kind of cardio...

Legs were overcooked spaghetti after hamstring curls/leg extensions superset.

Friday 4/1/2019

A) Zercher Good Morning
    100kg x 6 (@8)
    90kg x 9, 8 

B) Single Leg RDL (60s rest)
    30kg DBs x 5 x 5 e/s

C) DB OHP  (90s rest)
    22kgs x 5 x 8

D) Lat Pulldown (90s rest)
    5 x 8

E1) Hamstring Curl  (30s rest)
    4 x 10

E2) Ab Rollouts  (90s rest)
    4 x Max 

Got it all done in the one day today...finished work early so got some done at lunch and rest after work.

Hit the pins on first back off set on Zerchers and knocked bar out of arms. Somehow took off a chunk of knuckle. Bled like a motherf**ker. Let the pins down and got through it. Wasn't Zercher's fault but f**k Zercher anyway.

Had a sharp burning in my right glute, right in at my coccyx on single-leg RDLs. Very sharp so left them at lunchtime and said I'd see if it had left the building by evening. Had settled down a lot by 5pm so got them done in the end.

Sunday/Monday 6-7/1/2019

A) Bench (4020 tempo)
    95kg x 2  @8
    77.5kg x 7, 5  @9

B) Speed Bench w/ chains (60s rest)
    (65kg + 16kg chains) x 8 x 3

C) Wide Grip Pull Ups (90s rest)
    4 x AMRAP (13, 11, 8, 7)

D) DB Serrano Press (90s rest)
    4kgs x 5 x 8

E1) Skullcrushers
    37.5kg x 4 x 10

E2) EZ Bar Curls
    37.5kg x 4 x AMRAP  (10, 9, 8, 8)

Bench was solid. Form has been much tidier more consistently. Between the slow eccentric and the control off the chest and driving against chains, been able to work on technique.

Stayed with 4s on Serrano press cos the increase from 3 to 4 felt big last week so instead of compromising what the movement should be, I stuck with 4s and slowed the movement down more.

Felt like my upper arms had been rubbed with Synthol after that. Hashtag swole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tried out the serrano press the last couple of times - using the 1kgs :o:o

Man, they are tough. Find it really hard keeping the non-pressing arm held out at the right angle and not letting it drop. Hopefully will get easier!

Tried out the serrano press the last couple of times - using the 1kgs :o:o

Man, they are tough. Find it really hard keeping the non-pressing arm held out at the right angle and not letting it drop. Hopefully will get easier!

I did a search because I remember H**ley referencing them and he started with 1kg too. Which makes me think I did something wrong...

They won't get a whole lot easier. Eventually you'll graduate to 2kg and it will feel like the weight has been multiplied by a factor of 10. Which is why I didn't move up. I'd probably drop back next time and just do them slower.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 9/1/2019

180kg x 6  (@8)
    162.5kg x 13, 11  (@9)

137.5kg x 8 x 3

C) Wide-Grip Bench
    75kg x  14, 11

D) Low Cable Row (90s rest)
    5 x 8

E1) Hamstring Curl
    4 x 10

E2) Leg Extensions
    75kg x 4 x Max  (17, 16, 14, 13)

Have managed to get the 4 weeks of training done in the 4 weeks. Even though I've had to drop back to 3 days for a couple of months, I  wasn't sure if I would get it done. The 3 sessions have ended up being done in 5 shorter sessions, to make use of lunchtime slot, since back at work.

180 was a lot cleaner than last week so it's an improvement. Kept tighter and moved it quicker. Sh*tty knurling on bar so tried straps for 2nd set at 162.5. Not a fan.

Wide-grip better than last week. Was a little less hurried this week  so that probably helped but could have taken another minute rest before 2nd set.

Took legs a couple of minutes to stop shaking after leg supersets at the end.

Sunday/Monday 13-14/1/2019

A) Good Morning
    100kg x 8 (@8)
    90kg x 13, 13

B) Single Leg Barbell RDL (60s rest)
    40kg x 5 x 10 e/s

C) Neutral-Grip DB OHP  (90s rest)
    15kgs x 4 x 15
    12.5kgs x 15

D) Close-Grip Lat Pulldown (90s rest)
    5 x 15

4 x 20

E2) GHR Russian Twists  (90s rest)
    +10kg x 4 x Max 

Good mornings so much less unpleasant when not Zercher good mornings. That said, top set of good mornings was as good as I've ever done so...thank you, Mr Zercher, I guess.

Found single leg RDLs so much different with bar than DBs. Move was a bit funky so was light to get enough hamstring pump without getting funky. I did notice right hand side was  a bit weaker, which lines up with glute med needing the work.

Neutral-grip OHPs burn the triceps hard.

Ab DOMS, ahoy.

Wednesday/Thursday  16-17/1/2019

A) Tempo Bench (4020 tempo)
    87.5kg x 4  @8
    75kg x 6, 5  @9

B) Speed Bench w/ red band (60s rest)
    55kg x 8 x 3

C) Neutral-Grip Weighted Pull Ups (90s rest)
    +15kg x 5 x 5

D) Seated DB Powerclean (90s rest)
    7.5kgs x 5 x 15

E1) Overhead Tricep Rope Extension
    4 x 20

E2) Hammer Curls
    12.5kgs x 4 x AMRAP  (20, 18, 17, 16)

If I'd stopped on 3rd rep of top set of tempo bench, I'd have said was RPE 7. Last rep just got heavy quickly so was probably closer to 9.

Band was a bit awkward for first couple of sets of speed bench cos kept flicking around my elbow but sorted that. Short on time so 60s rests became EMOM.

DB powerclean took a bit of getting used to but I had thought I'd be going heavier. Shoulders said 'nope'. Never did them before but found them to be effective insofar as they hit the right muscles hard. Bit of burn in the upper traps as well because of the shrug movement at the start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How do you do a seated power clean

bluewolf wrote: »
    How do you do a seated power clean

• Advertisement

Friday 18/1/2019

182.5kg x 6  (@8)
    165kg x 11, 10, 10  (@9)

140kg x 8 x 3

C) Wide-Grip Bench
    77.5kg x  11, 10

D) Single Arm DB Row (90s rest)
    30kg x 5 x 15 e/s

E1) Swiss Ball Hamstring Curl
    4 x 20

E2) Single-leg Extensions
    4 x Max e/s

Top set of rack pulls just felt a lot smoother than previous weeks. Just took a sec between reps to quickly cue myself. Happy with that. Made a few technique tweaks...or rather concentrated on a couple of technical details and drilled them on back off sets.

Box squats felt better this week than last as well.

Monday/Tuesday 20-21/1/2019

A) Good Morning
    105kg x 7 (@8)
    95kg x 12, 13

45kg x 5 x 8 e/s

17.5kgs x 5 x 12

5 x 12

4 x 15

E2) GHR Russian Twists  (90s rest)
    +10kg x 4 x Max 

Top set of GMs was best. Felt off on warm ups so recorded and I had somehow got my head position so that I was looking down rather than out on front and threw me off. Neutral neck position and job's a good 'un.

Right hip is the limiting factor on single leg RDLs. Strangely, using barbell highlights imbalances more than using DBs. Weight was just before right hip started to show the instability...get full value of it. Left side (the hip that won't allow me to squat) feels like it's too easy.

Wednesday/Thursday  23-24/1/2019

92.5kg x 3  @8
    77.kg x 6, 5  @9

60kg x 8 x 3

+17.5kg x 5 x 5

8kgs x 5 x 12

4 x 15

E2) Hammer Curls
    15kgs x 4 x AMRAP

Appointment with surgeon today. Pretty uncommon condition in my hip and a lot of the time they don't know the reason. Steroids would be a cause, as it happens. Will need a hip replacement in 10 years or so but lifting won't make things worse in the meantime. Huzzah! Will still be a little uncomfortable until the apparent bone bruise goes.

Have to avoid running...

Aaaanyway, no progress on weight on tempo bench but it does feel like technique had improved a good bit because have to concentrate on things like 'tucking' elbows on eccentric.

Pull ups felt stronger this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wouid a hip replacement finish you squatting/deadlifting?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wouid a hip replacement finish you squatting/deadlifting?

I'm basing my answer entirely on the basis that Robocop could squat so no, I would continue.

I'd also be a fake natty.

But yeah I'll almost definitely have to stop squatting or it may just be a modified version.

But lots of time between now and then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh no

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh no

It could have been a lot worse...told my hip was well gone and that I'd have to drop squats, deadlifts etc.

I'm still good to go for a while yet!

Friday/Sunday 25-27/1/2019

190kg x 5 (@8)
    170kg x 10, 9,   (@9)

145kg x 8 x 3

C) Wide-Grip Bench
    80kg x  9, 9

35kg x 5 x 12 e/s

4 x 15

4 x 15

Couldn't train on Saturday so A-B on Friday at lunch and C-E on Sunday.

Rack pulls felt really solid. Happy with them.

Fatigue was kicking in a little on the last 2-3 sets of box squats and it was tough to stop hips from rising off the box. Gave myself 90s rest before last set so it wasn't a sh*t-show. When I'm on the box, hip crease is only about 2-3" higher than knee so hope work translates well when I move back to full squats.

Happy enough with the numbers across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It could have been a lot worse...told my hip was well gone and that I'd have to drop squats, deadlifts etc.

I'm still good to go for a while yet!

Only saw this now. God, that’s shjt news to get, sorry to hear it. If you, dare I say it, stopped squatting/deadlifting now, would that give you more time ?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Only saw this now. God, that’s shjt news to get, sorry to hear it. If you, dare I say it, stopped squatting/deadlifting now, would that give you more time ?

Nope. I specifically asked if they would impact it/make it worse and he said no. Running might because of the impact but not something like resistance training.

Monday/Tuesday 28-29/1/2019

A) Good Morning
    110kg x 6 (@8)
    100kg x 12, 11  (@9)

55kg x 5 x 6 e/s

20kgs x 4 x 10
    17.5kgs x 10

5 x 10

4 x 12

E2) Russian Twists  (90s rest)
    15kg x 4 x Max 

Good mornings felt really solid. Thought it was the heaviest I've done them with but have done 110x3 @8 so progress; everything held up nicely and wasn't cheating on ROM either.

Things slowly improving on right hip on single leg RDLs. More stability.

Happy enough with that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Appointment with surgeon today. Pretty uncommon condition in my hip and a lot of the time they don't know the reason.

Sorry to hear. Hope you are back to full form soon.

Was the surgeon suggesting past running caused it or anything related to Powerlifting?

Or just general life wear and tear?

BossArky wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. Hope you are back to full form soon.

Was the surgeon suggesting past running caused it or anything related to Powerlifting?

Or just general life wear and tear?

The problem is something called 'avascular necrosis' - basically, the blood vessels into the top part of the femoral head has been cut off. Some impingement of the blood vessels. No blood supply to the bone = bone dies. In time the dead section of bone will give way and then the hip gets replaced. It's not something that is ever caused by wear and tear. Well, thewear and tear of a bad injury that caused a breakage of the femur which then impinged blood flow to the bone, but aside from that it's not a wear and tear thing.

In most cases it is idiotpathic, i.e. cause is unknown. He sees maybe 5 such cases a year so less than 1% of patients.

Running would likely aggravate that so it's not recommended because of the pounding .

I asked if squatting and deadlifting would aggravate it and he said no.

I'll have an MRI in 12 months and see if there is any change.

In the meantime, I'll just continue on trying to not aggravate it and continue to enjoy training.

Wednesday 30/1/2019

95kg x 2  @8
    80kg x 5, 4  @9

62.5kg x 8 x 3

+20kg x 5 x 5

9kgs x 5 x 10

4 x 12

E2) Hammer Curls
    15kgs x 4 x AMRAP

Wanted 5 reps on 2nd back off set but felt I might be @9 at that stage. Think the eccentric might actually be longer than prescribed but that's no bad thing. Always makes the speed reps feel easier cos normal tempo.

Friday 1/2/2019

195kg x 4 (@8)
    175kg x 9, 8, 7  (@9)

147.5kg x 8 x 3

C) Wide-Grip Bench
    82.5kg x 10, 9

37.5kg x 5 x 10 e/s

4 x 12

4 x 12

Went for one of the sh*ttier bars for rack pulls...was bent so it kept twisting in my hands. So tried straps on top set but ditched them after first rep. Let the bar throw me more than I should.

Box squats felt really solid today. Braced harder and more focused on moving off the box without leaning and letting my hips up early.

Wide grip felt pretty strong. Better numbers than last week. Looked back and best wide grip numbers are a single with 97.5 @8. Pretty sure I'd beat that now.

Monday 4/2/2019

A) Good Morning
    120kg x 5 (@8)
    107.5kg x 10, 9 (@9)

60kg x 5 x 5 e/s

22.5kgs x 5 x 8

5 x 8

4 x 10

E2) Russian Twists  (90s rest)
    20kg x 4 x Max 

Good mornings were...good. and morningy. Warm up set with 100kg flew so on went 120kg. Got that right.

Single-leg RDLs improved again. Better stability on right.

All of the other things went well too.

Wednesday 6/1/2019

100kg x 1 
    85kg x 4, 4 @9

65kg x 8 x 3

+22.5kg x 5 x 5

10kgs x 5 x 8

4 x 10

E2) Hammer Curls
    12.5kgs x 4 x AMRAP

Used app to see how long the eccentric was for the top single at 100kg bench...was a 4.7s eccentric instead of 4s. I'd normally assume that people count quicker when doing heavier weight on tempo work so was good to see I was erring in the other side.

Good to be back handling 100kg again. It's been a while.

Friday 8/2/2019

200kg x 3 (@8)
    180kg x 8, 7, 5  (@9)

150kg x 8 x 3

C) Wide-Grip Bench
    85kg x 8, 7

40kg x 5 x 8 e/s

4 x 10

4 x 10

Was under a little time pressure on rack pulls so last back off set was a bit rushed. Knurling on the bar felt non-existent so ended up using straps as my hands got sweatier. Not ideal but wasn't actually that bad.

Really felt the fact that they height of the box is pretty much at my sticking point so it feels like a sumo pull looks: slow coming off the box and then lock out quickly enough.

• Advertisement

Saturday 9/2/2019

Had some free time (wtf?) so just went in to try out some squatting to see how it felt on the hip since I got the all clear/told me it didn't make things worse.

I have been doing some mobility work but not enough...for quite some time since the October competition I've been kind of minding my hip so things are not as mobile as they should be, particularly around hip flexors. Going to get some soft tissue work this week to expedite matters but it's not really an issue that can't be addressed. Just takes time.

Front squats felt lovely and were deeper...probably didn't feel it in my hip flexors at all because I was more upright/bigger hip angle.

Tried high bar...same deal with less of a feeling of impingement in the hip. Went up to within 10kg of my high bar PR (which probably sounds better than it is but I don't train high bar that often).

Good to get a feel for proper squatting again.

Advertisement